Question Hard bricked - help needed

Search This thread

Thibale

Dec 29, 2005
I know that you tried to get into Fastboot. Pixel 6/6P also a Recovery mode. I can get to it from a working phone.
I would think that there is someway to boot into Recovery mode from a dead phone via button combos.
Unfortunately not, I've tried every possible combinaison / timing
I'm convinced there is a way to boot from usb or to switch to a rescue mode or something but probably only with Google proprietary toolkit

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
Just because it has two bootloader slots doesn't mean that you can switch between them if the currently active slot is completely borked. Unfortunately, you wrote a qualcomm bootloader to an exynos device.

Gilbot

Jul 29, 2010
Milpitas
ugh my pixel is stuck in some mode with the screen off and button combos won't reboot it.

Any help is appreciated.

I botched the January update trying to fastboot install it. It rebooted to an error at bootup " Your device is corrupted and can't be trusted". I tried powering it on and it went to a google logo then went black. The phone is on, because I can hear the audible sound my pc makes when i plug it in, but no button combos will reboot it. The Android flash tool cannot find it either. -__-

Suggestions?

I'm Considering letting the battery die so i can charge and power it on.

EDIT: So it turns out the phone is in Rom Recovery mode. Still can't get the android flash tool to recognize it nor can i get it to reboot properly with button combos. Shows up as Rom Recovery Mode.

Attachments

• pixel.png
    pixel.png
    92.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
ugh my pixel is stuck in some mode with the screen off and button combos won't reboot it.

Any help is appreciated.

I botched the January update trying to fastboot install it. It rebooted to an error at bootup " Your device is corrupted and can't be trusted". I tried powering it on and it went to a google logo then went black. The phone is on, because I can hear the audible sound my pc makes when i plug it in, but no button combos will reboot it. The Android flash tool cannot find it either. -__-

Suggestions?

EDIT: So it turns out the phone is in Rom Recovery mode. Still can't get the android flash tool to recognize it nor can i get it to reboot properly with button combos. Shows up as Rom Recovery Mode and "Backup" in device manager.
What exactly did you do to "botch" it? Did you also install the wrong Bootloader? (Snapdragon vs Exynos?)

DanielF50

Jul 22, 2010
Hampshire, England
Google Pixel 6 Pro

Any help is appreciated.

Suggestions?

EDIT: So it turns out the phone is in Rom Recovery mode. Still can't get the android flash tool to recognize it nor can i get it to reboot properly with button combos. Shows up as Rom Recovery Mode and "Backup" in device manager.

The only thing I can suggest regarding no display output is unplugging the device & holding the power button down for ~30 seconds to 1 minute to see if it will reboot to anything. If that doesn't work at all then the only thing you can do is wait for it to completely die & see if you get any display when you plug it in a later date.

Have you tried right clicking on "backup" in device manager and installing the USB drivers from Google? I've never heard of "Rom Recovery Mode", but if you can get the display back & it shows the standard recovery mode (like this), you should be able to sideload the January OTA file from here and boot as normal.

As far as I'm aware, AFT will only recognise a device in fastboot mode & the new "Pixel Repair" website doesn't support the Pixel 6/Pro yet, so unfortunately that won't be of much use.

Edit: regarding OP's issue: I'm surprised that it allowed you to flash the wrong bootloader at all. Normally, if you attempt to flash images between devices (or the right images to the wrong partitions) it usually rejects the image & the bootloader should absolutely have this type of protection.

Last edited:

Azerox

Jan 26, 2010
Groningen
I would defo try booting it in bootloader with both ways, vol up and down.
It might boot but not show any signs of it.
Then try some command in fastboot to see if it reacts.
If it does boot (without signs) your PC should recognize something.

If that does not work then yea you're screwed.

Gilbot

Jul 29, 2010
Milpitas
What exactly did you do to "botch" it? Did you also install the wrong Bootloader? (Snapdragon vs Exynos?)
Ok, so the "backup" is unrelated to the pixel, you can ignore that.

I didn't do anything i haven't done with previous pixels. I did have magisk installed. I disabled all modules, tried to OTA the update, but it would fail. So I downloaded the january update, rebooted to fastboot install it, knowingly wiping the device completely and starting fresh. Everything looked fine, then it rebooted to the "Your Device is Corrupt" message and booted to a google logo. I tried force rebooting with power+volume up and the screen went black into this mode.

Gonna let it die and see if it will power on as no button combo does anything

Thibale

Dec 29, 2005
Edit: regarding OP's issue: I'm surprised that it allowed you to flash the wrong bootloader at all. Normally, if you attempt to flash images between devices (or the right images to the wrong partitions) it usually rejects the image & the bootloader should absolutely have this type of protection.

Yes I was very surprised as well there was not even a basic device check prior flashing the bootloader. The script flash the bootloader right away without asking for confirmation even if the device is not the right one.

• Sad
Reactions: DanielF50

cultofluna

Nov 25, 2015
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Hello,

In the rush of flashing the january update I've flashed by mistake the Pixel 5 image bootloader (my wife's phone)
Yest that's stupid, I've done this every months for years with several Pixel phones, but I was listening to music at the same time and did dl the wrong image...

Anyway my phone is now hard bricked but I'm sure there must be a way to enter the other bootlader slot and/or entering a special recovery tool.
I cannot enter bootloader anymore

Requesting some help as I'd avoid to send it for a reflash...

Thanks !
Unfortunately if you've flashed wrong bootloader you're done ...
RMA is the only option

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Reactions: Lughnasadh

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I have tried, but adb cannot detect any devices
What variant of the Pixel 6 Pro do you have? Is it factory unlocked? Is it from a carrier? When it was still working, had you enabled "OEM unlocking" in Developer Options? If OEM unlocking isn't already enabled before it bricked, then this method won't work.

Otherwise, if it is enabled, try:
Reboot the computer. Try different USB ports. Try the cable that came with the phone, or try some other cables.

Got any access to a Windows PC to try all these things?

Reactions: Aquariuslt
What variant of the Pixel 6 Pro do you have? Is it factory unlocked? Is it from a carrier? When it was still working, had you enabled "OEM unlocking" in Developer Options? If OEM unlocking isn't already enabled before it bricked, then this method won't work.

Otherwise, if it is enabled, try:
Reboot the computer. Try different USB ports. Try the cable that came with the phone, or try some other cables.

What variant of the Pixel 6 Pro do you have?
- US 12GB + 256GB Black

Is it factory unlocked?
- Yes, I have rooted via magisk before

Is it from a carrier?
- No

When it was still working, had you enabled "OEM unlocking" in Developer Options?
- Yes

- All tried before (using different USB cabale from P6P P4XL and others)

- There no Windows PC in my workspace, I will try install bootcamp windows on my mac and try these operations again

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
My P69 bricks in same issue after April OTA (with magisk rooted).
By the way, I should've asked sooner, when you said this originally, are you saying you bricked it the same way as the OP in this thread (flashing an image for the wrong Pixel)? If not, what exactly happens? If you did do the same thing - you flashed the image for the wrong Pixel, then there's probably nothing you can do other than RMA it, and try to get it covered under warranty.

Will try with other PC and port later.

Confirmed that platforms tools is latest 33
SDK Platform Tools latest version is 33.0.1 - just in case it makes a difference from 33.0.0.

Reactions: Aquariuslt
By the way, I should've asked sooner, when you said this originally, are you saying you bricked it the same way as the OP in this thread (flashing an image for the wrong Pixel)? If not, what exactly happens? If you did do the same thing - you flashed the image for the wrong Pixel, then there's probably nothing you can do other than RMA it, and try to get it covered under warranty.

SDK Platform Tools latest version is 33.0.1 - just in case it makes a difference from 33.0.0.
will double confirm platform version.

for wrong image, I can confirm all the boot.img/magisk updated boot.img all for P6P raven. (1% might using wrong update version for raven devices, e.g. march boot.img with april update?, i will check bash history later..)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Do you remember what went wrong?

EDIT: Uh, never mind. So you accidentally used the P5 fw. Why on hell would the device accept the P5 fw at all?! :(
    You can flash gobbledygook to your phone if you're not careful. You can flash a non-Google phone's image. Flashing just flashes what you tell it to flash.

Same problem here: downloaded from a blog the latest firmware. They have linked the pixel 5 firmware and named it as Pixel 6 pro full firmware. Just flashed without looking and now the phone wont boot. No reaction at all, no fast boot or whatsoever. Have filled in a repair request in my google account, because I’ve bought it directly in their store.

Do you think they have a way to find out what went wrong? I meant the phone is not giving any signal, regardless of which button combination I press. Worst case: I have to pay for the repair…
    That sucks. I'm sure you know now, always go straight to the source for everything if possible, firmware, platform tools, drivers, BIOS / UEFI (for computer).

SDK Platform Tools

Get the Google USB Driver

Pixel 6 Pro Factory Images

You can also Google for official pixel firmware and the top search result is what the want. I know it doesn't help you now. Good luck with your phone!
    After having played around with the January patch (came from December Europe A4 firmware that was pulled), it seems that the FP scanner got even faster and more reliable, even though it's not stated in the patchnotes. Maybe it's just placebo.
    So many folks have reported the exact same thing, I'm really, really curious just how much faster it will seem when I get around to updating.
    checking my bash history after today
    View attachment 5586603
    If you look at the contents of the flash-all.sh file that comes in the full firmware zip, normally the bootloader (not boot) is flashed first:

Code:
    if ! [ $($(which fastboot) --version | grep "version" | cut -c18-23 | sed 's/\.//g' ) -ge 3103 ]; then
      echo "fastboot too old; please download the latest version at https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools.html"
      exit 1
    fi
    fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-raven-slider-1.1-8167057.img
    fastboot reboot-bootloader
    sleep 5
    fastboot flash radio radio-raven-g5123b-97927-220225-b-8226700.img
    fastboot reboot-bootloader
    sleep 5
    fastboot -w update image-raven-sp2a.220405.004.zip
    (commonly, you should remove the -w from the last line so it doesn't wipe your phone)

Of course, I don't know if you already had done that, nor why you were doing things the way you were, or what you were trying to accomplish, but knowing the why and what isn't necessarily going to help the situation, so I'll ignore those for now. :)

Had you already performed the bootloader update process, and rebooted it into the new bootloader?
    Same problem here: downloaded from a blog the latest firmware. They have linked the pixel 5 firmware and named it as Pixel 6 pro full firmware. Just flashed without looking and now the phone wont boot. No reaction at all, no fast boot or whatsoever. Have filled in a repair request in my google account, because I’ve bought it directly in their store.

Do you think they have a way to find out what went wrong? I meant the phone is not giving any signal, regardless of which button combination I press. Worst case: I have to pay for the repair…
    Yes worst case we'll have for repair but they could have implemented a simple device id check on their script prior flashing anything, especially for the bootloader.

Anyway, I'm alive, in a good health and it's just a phone ;)
    No that's the problem.
    But there are 2 bootloader slots (a and b) and I'm pretty sure there is way to switch from one to another with a special tool or button sequence.
    I've already tried many button combinaison with no luck.

This kind of error is so stupid that I hope there is a way to force a rescue bootloader or something on boot.
    The only special tools we have are either the pixel repair tool or the android flash tool. If both can't get you fastboot / firmware flashing, that's it. Hardbrick. Google Pixels don't have "special" hardbrick solving tools, like older OnePlus had. You need to contact Google.