• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Hard Bricked...

Search This thread

kylgore

Mar 4, 2007
Baltimore
Last ditch effort for a solution here.

I have a 16gb white that's been performing just fine... i did unlock the bootloader and root, but had no issues. That was several days ago. Today, I installed a flashlight app from the play store. (Droidlight LED Flashlight by Motorola). Once I ran the app, the camera LED came on for about 2 seconds, and then both the LED and the screen went dark. The battery was at about 80% when this happened.

The device is now completely non-responsive. Holding down the power button and any combination of keys does nothing, and there is no charging indicator when it's plugged in. I've never bricked a device before, surprised this seems to be caused by a play store app (although if it's truly bricked, I suspect some sort of power issue).

Thanks for any advice anyone can provide before I have to RMA this thing. Any Ideas?

jd1639

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Can you get into the bootloader? Hold Vol down + power

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

Nothing works? You might be the second brick of the day

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
Last ditch effort for a solution here.

I have a 16gb white that's been performing just fine... i did unlock the bootloader and root, but had no issues. That was several days ago. Today, I installed a flashlight app from the play store. (Droidlight LED Flashlight by Motorola). Once I ran the app, the camera LED came on for about 2 seconds, and then both the LED and the screen went dark. The battery was at about 80% when this happened.

The device is now completely non-responsive. Holding down the power button and any combination of keys does nothing, and there is no charging indicator when it's plugged in. I've never bricked a device before, surprised this seems to be caused by a play store app (although if it's truly bricked, I suspect some sort of power issue).

Thanks for any advice anyone can provide before I have to RMA this thing. Any Ideas?

Hook it to a charger for some time and then try to get in fastboot mode once in a while, then go to recovery and delete the cache and do a data factory reset and reboot. That is what i would do at least.

kylgore

Mar 4, 2007
Baltimore
Can you get into the bootloader? Hold Vol down + power

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

Nothing works? You might be the second brick of the day

Can't get into the bootloader. I've tried the following combination of keys...

Vol+ and Power - nothing
Vol- and Power - nothing
Vol+, Vol- and Power - nothing
Power on it's own for 2+ minutes - nothing

---------

Contacted Google and they're getting me an RMA... regardless, I'd be careful about running that particular app, or possibly any flashlight app.

Last edited:

kylgore

Mar 4, 2007
Baltimore
What do you mean with second brick, does this happen, if you install a Custom ROM?

I think he means someone else started a thread as well indicating that they also had a bricked phone. I read that thread before I created this one, as mine wasn't related to fastboot or recovery. My brick occured from actions that occured during runtime, and root wasn't even acquired by the app that caused the failure.

maumaumau

Dec 19, 2010
No it doesn't happen unless you don't do your homework and screw something up. If you read and learn it's very hard to hardbrick your phone. But this is the second one I've seen today. In both cases there are unique reasons it happened.

I flash my Phone with custom ROMs since the beginning of the Nexus era. To root and to flash my Nexus one took me like 2 hours to complete it (I admit, that I received some help back then).

For me it doesn't look here like it happened because of anyone's fault. The phone is available since this week and he's already rooted. He doesn't look like someone, who is new to it.

agent47er

Aug 16, 2012
Delhi
drain and recharge

if you have a secondary phone use it for a few days and leave your Nex5 to drain. Should be completely drained in 2-3 days. Then charge it up and try to enter bootloader. :eek:

PS: you could also try to open the phone and manually disconnect and reconnect the battery... :D

kylgore

Mar 4, 2007
Baltimore
if you have a secondary phone use it for a few days and leave your Nex5 to drain. Should be completely drained in 2-3 days. Then charge it up and try to enter bootloader. :eek:

PS: you could also try to open the phone and manually disconnect and reconnect the battery... :D

I'm going to let the battery drain, but there's literally no power running through the phone right now, it's doing nothing. Something was fried, I'm afraid it will take a lot longer than 2-3 days for the battery to naturally drain.

I'd love to pop the back off and unplug the battery (that was my first thought) but I'm not doing anything to risk getting the phone replaced. I'll RMA it.

jd1639

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
I'm going to let the battery drain, but there's literally no power running through the phone right now, it's doing nothing. Something was fried, I'm afraid it will take a lot longer than 2-3 days for the battery to naturally drain.

I'd love to pop the back off and unplug the battery (that was my first thought) but I'm not doing anything to risk getting the phone replaced. I'll RMA it.

Just rma it. It's the best you can do at this point

Reactions: kylgore

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Just rma it. It's the best you can do at this point