[HARDWARE MOD] Volume Increase for Nexus 5 (13 db increase)

Search This thread

ivanivezic

Mar 24, 2014
I've never had any problems with my speakers, always loud enough... I guess i had luck...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

D.D.P.

Mar 5, 2014
Sin City
Have anyone tried the N5 volume boost flasher zip ?
It's really do louder than stock volume after flashing the zip.
It's compatible to 4.4.1 and 4.4.2. And I'd been using this since last year with no side effect. but of course with louder and better sound..
Flash it with your favourite custom recover menu..

It can manually be tweaked as well if said person doesn't want to flash any files.

Last edited:

D.D.P.

Mar 5, 2014
Sin City
Anyway to increase the earpiece when on a call ?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Increase these, don't exceed set volume by too much. The difference is quite noticable, and voila. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-13-01-22-11.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-04-13-01-22-11.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 1,231
  • Screenshot_2014-04-13-01-21-26.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-04-13-01-21-26.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 1,139

lekou

Nov 22, 2012
athens
thanks for the idea, i did a few holes with a 2mm drill.
u can feel the expanded soundwaves shaking the phone.definitely unlocks the loudspeaker potentional

Alfonso87

Oct 30, 2013
As a possessor of the 1st hardware release of the Nexus 5 (301) today i have applied this mod to my phone. Thanks for sharing ;)

I must say that this + some tweaks on the audio property file make a really big difference. I'm thinking of increasing the size of external holes, the ones on the bottom. Anybody have already done it? Could this be useful to increase sounds loudness even more?

beta990

Apr 18, 2013
Thanks for the hack. I'm a bit worry about my warranty, maybe I will try this mod in the future. :)

I've haven't seen later revisions, but LG seems to have fixed the issue on them.

dabadoo

Jul 20, 2013
Has anyone who did this mod sent their phone for a RMA and actually received a new phone without being charged because the warranty was voided?

dabadoo

Jul 20, 2013
For anyone still wondering, I called google and talked to some in the warranty section. They said any hardware modifications that were done by ANYONE THAT IS NOT AUTHORIZED TO DO REPAIRS, WILL VOID WARRANTY. And by authorized they don't necessarily mean LG or google, it can be any store as long as they're authorized. In this case, they said a receipt would have to be provided. Hope this helps someone.

IcipherPT

Jun 19, 2013
Places
For anyone still wondering, I called google and talked to some in the warranty section. They said any hardware modifications that were done by ANYONE THAT IS NOT AUTHORIZED TO DO REPAIRS, WILL VOID WARRANTY. And by authorized they don't necessarily mean LG or google, it can be any store as long as they're authorized. In this case, they said a receipt would have to be provided. Hope this helps someone.

wow :cyclops:

Comrade1809

Aug 10, 2012
Is there any possibility that you could screw the data signal by performing this mod? Strangely after I did this (which worked beautifuly btw thanks) im not getting H signal anywhere, im stuck in E almost all the time, I doubt this would be the reason but I wanna know if there's any possibility ? Like where is the module for the mobile data receiving? Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I have the same problem. I didn't perform the mod but I did open the back end to see what all the fuss was about. After putting the cover back on, my signal dropped significantly. I mean from being at 5 bars HSPA+ to one or no bars at all.

Something happened, and now I need to find out whatI can do to fix it.

RJT71

Aug 25, 2014
I have the same problem. I didn't perform the mod but I did open the back end to see what all the fuss was about. After putting the cover back on, my signal dropped significantly. I mean from being at 5 bars HSPA+ to one or no bars at all.

Something happened, and now I need to find out whatI can do to fix it.

Something happened, and now I need to find out whatI can do to fix it.[/QUOTE]

You probably broke something. Maybe some contacts aren't connecting. Well I using this mod with two wires, one for gsm and one for Wi-Fi. Now I can connect my Wi-Fi signal in the back of my garden. And before I couldn't. Hard to say if gsm is better. Here in Holland with the best provider kpn it doesn't matter where you are. It's good all places.

dex willer

Oct 1, 2012
Ankara
the back cover has a secret clips in the middle. in order to get fully sealed back cover, and woking nfc or wireless charge after closing the cover, gently push with a little force with your thumb on the little upper middle from "S" letter until hear a "click" voice. with this, u can sure everything is now snapped. for those having problem with not working antennas, give this a try.

D

Deleted member 2479225

Took the plunge and tried this mod, my results are positive so far, my only worry is how it will affect the mic with sound moving through different areas. The sound is less tinny with a small but noticable volume gain. I use fauxsound to boost my volume sound and i can now boost it higher without the distortion i was getting previously, so i get a much better quality output, along with using an equalizer makes an impressive sound boost. Providing there is no issues with the mic i would highly recomend this mod as its easy to do and even if it goes wrong its not expensive to get a new speaker module. And also my module was a newer one so the gains i got were more quality based as the module didnt have any issues as far as volume like the old modules have.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introduction:
    So the LG Nexus 5 speaker seems to be low volume for some people and not so much others. I spoke to @supercurio and he says that his device is as loud as a Galaxy S 4 and the volume appears normal. My device suffers from low volume. I fear that this is due to the construction process and the glue used to assemble the device may have leaked into areas which it obstructs the speaker port. It appears to be a manufacturer defect.

But, this is XDA, so rather than complain, here is a fix. We aren't just talking about a little bit of an increase though, Senior Member @Oli1122 measured a 13dB increase using this method with just one additional hole on the front and one on the rear. That's well over double sound volume!
    Note: Only do this if your volume seems oddly low or risk damaging components for no reason

You will need:
    Phillips #0 screwdriver
    needle
    lighter
    guitar pick
    case opener tool

Performing the mod
    1. Remove back panel from device (case opener tool/gitaur pick).
    2. Heat up the needle with the lighter.
    3. Stick needle through plastic until you feel no resistance in one of the locations shown in picture below.
    4. Wait 1 second
    5. Move needle around to slightly widen the hole after it loses some heat to the housing
    6. Once needle has cooled, twist and remove.
    7. You can remove the speaker assembly by removing four screws , then pick a new location and perform steps 2-6 on the other areas of the assembly shown in the pictures below.
    8. Reassemble device.
    Reference pictures:
    attachment.php

attachment.php

Theory behind it:
    If you ask an audiophile, they will tell you that free-air speakers are louder than sealed or ported speakers. This works because the device has an almost sealed speaker and the intended ported output of the sealed speaker chamber is much smaller than the primary speaker output.

Further testing is required
    Considering this, it may benefit unaffected users to perform this modification. I intend to feature this on XDATV in two weeks. I would appreciate assistance with quantifiable measurements. So, if you perform this mod, please get a video showing your desktop's sound-level input meter with a microphone positioned at a known distance from the Nexus5 speaker (located on the left side as viewed from the front). Windows Sound Level Mixer will work just as Ubuntu or Mac's will too.

Conclusion:
    Your results may vary. If you try this, share your results and let people know if you tested before/after with a microphone, which locations you used, pictures, or if it just plain sounds louder. This issue affects several users and now at least I can watch YouTube videos comfortably now, without cupping the speaker or holding it closely outside.
    since, well, would it work? i haven't torn my device up to see what it looks like inside but maybe it is the same?

Instead of assuming it is the same, just Google the ifixit tear down & you will know for certain.

TO the others, those whining & the naysayers, this is XDA. My three month Nexus 7 died during the 4.4 update, as you can see in the pic.
    IMG_20131116_115847.jpg

Even though it is covered by warranty & I have a valid RMA, I opend the device, found a bad clip on the display ribbon cable, reattached & reinforced it & voila... a working Nexus 7 without paying postage or waiting weeks for Asus to get around to fixing it. If it weren't for risk takers, you all might as well be using feature phones, iPhones or Blackberries. Finding new ways to destroy & then fix devices is what XDA is, why it was created & what makes it more that another useless Android blog.
    So all this thread is about some support to advertise it in xda tv? Kinda lame. But I guess that is how low some people can go. Also have fun ruinning forever your 2 week old phone's warranty.
    what's this? I do a video every two weeks. This isn't a hard concept and I'm not advertising for XDATV. Its going to be a mention after I edit the teardown footage and give my hardware review as I always do for XDA Unboxings

The idea behind this mod actually has been around for a long time. When you go back to the OG iPhone 4 they sometimes had problems with this, and a similar fix was issued. Great find adam!!!

For those of you who are scared of doing this, I would wait for a couple of months until the replacement parts are readily available, and usually run 20-30$ for a new speaker if you bouch yours.
    parts are available right now from UK.

I read it and I hit thanks because I appreciate his effort but not clearly stating in the op that this forever and definitely voids your warranty is sketchy. Also saying wait 2 weeks to see how you do it just because I am desperate for some visibility and have to post it on xdatv is kinda lame too as I previously mentioned. I mean it is 2013 there is youtube google+ facebook and everything why be so desperate about some xdatv visibility. If your intention was to help the community just do it as soon as it came to your mind instead of holding a video for that long for lame intentions and hope android press talks about some adam guy fixing the speakers of the giant tech company google hahahaahaha...some people....
    Again, I do a video once every two weeks. It takes me about 8 hours to edit. I'm busy with other projects like CASUAL. https://code.google.com/p/android-casual/source/list

This mod should not affect your warranty except for the speaker module. If you need to send it in you shouldn't bave any problems. If it is found that there are problems, I will recommend buying a new $12 speaker module or a new , more undetectable way of performing the mod.

This IS XDA-Developers though. First thing we do around here is void our warranties. If I got a nickel for each method of voiding your warranty I come up with, I'd be a rich man.
    I've recorded a video with the process, easy way and posted it in YouTube:

More info: http://www.xatakandroid.com/tutoriales/mod-del-altavoz-de-nexus-5-para-conseguir-mas-volumen-video

What the hell? You wrote two articles, made a video, used my ideas, instructions and pictures but you didn't mention me once..... Seriously? I get paid absolutely nothing for this. You should really, give a bit of credit where it is due.
    English version -