Question Has anyone been able to install the Beta via ADB sideloading and was able to KEEP their data and files?

Search This thread
I'm on AT&T Snapdragon 512gb S22U locked firmware AVG6. I want to sideload the ONE UI 5 Beta but I don't want to lose my data. Has anyone had success using this method and keeping their files?

I keep seeing mixed responses, some people on S908U1 were able to keep all their data and people on S908U were not able to keep data.

Any help would be appreciated.

I know flashing from U to U1 usually requires a clean install, but installing a beta shouldn't require that.

syles

May 30, 2011
Shanghai
I think you can Samsung backup and sideload this update. Backups are a good habit.
No files were lost after my device was updated

peacey8

Jul 28, 2013
If you don't want to risk losing data, then don't do it. Beta isn't for people who are scared of losing data.

peacey8

Jul 28, 2013
I've actually installed many Betas in the past, and I've never had to wipe my phone or do a clean install. I'm not "scared", it's just inconvenient and time-consuming.
I have too, but by definition beta software is unstable and many problems can happen that can irrevocably cause data loss. It's best practice to backup and be prepared to lose data in case it happens, unless you don't care about your data.

1dopewrx05

You should only need to clean install if you are changing region firmware (ex U/U1). I'm not sure why you're trying to go the sideload method of getting on OneUI 5? Why aren't you just enrolling through the members app and OTA updating? OTA guarantees you won't lose any data. Going with sideloading, if you flash the wrong variant say goodbye to all your data because you'll probably soft-brick and have to factory reset. I'm just not sure I see any benefits to sideloading over going OTA unless I'm missing something here

You should only need to clean install if you are changing region firmware (ex U/U1). I'm not sure why you're trying to go the sideload method of getting on OneUI 5? Why aren't you just enrolling through the members app and OTA updating? OTA guarantees you won't lose any data. Going with sideloading, if you flash the wrong variant say goodbye to all your data because you'll probably soft-brick and have to factory reset. I'm just not sure I see any benefits to sideloading over going OTA unless I'm missing something here
Because the Beta is not open to locked U firmware AT&T models. Can't use Samsung members to get in.

Sideloading is done when OTA is unavailable, as in my case.

I have too, but by definition beta software is unstable and many problems can happen that can irrevocably cause data loss. It's best practice to backup and be prepared to lose data in case it happens, unless you don't care about your data.
Thanks, I know all of this.

I've never had a Beta that caused any data loss.

Unless I manually did a clean install myself.

peacey8

Jul 28, 2013
@Kris_b1104 You've been asking this for several days now. It literally would have taken you less time to just backup, update, and restore if it wiped. At this rate, by the time enough people answer you, the beta is going to be over.

Reactions: e.kabashi95
@Kris_b1104 You've been asking this for several days now. It literally would have taken you less time to just backup, update, and restore if it wiped. At this rate, by the time enough people answer you, the beta is going to be over.
Isn't this what the forum is for? Why do you have a problem with my question? Just ignore it and move on.

I see you asking multiple times in other threads how to change your CSC, but when I ask a question it seems to be an issue for you. Go touch grass.

Last edited:

peacey8

Jul 28, 2013
Isn't this what the forum is for? Why do you have a problem with my question? Just ignore it and move on.

I see you asking multiple times in other threads how to change your CSC, but when I ask a question it seems to be an issue for you. Go touch grass.
You can ask whatever you want, I'm just telling you time is running out to test the beta while you're being indecisive!

And actually I am at the park right now and touching grass! It is a beautiful feeling with the wind in my hair and the blades of grass running through my fingers while I play with One UI 5 beta. So cheers to that!

You can ask whatever you want, I'm just telling you time is running out to test the beta while you're being indecisive!

And actually I am at the park right now and touching grass! It is a beautiful feeling with the wind in my hair and the blades of grass running through my fingers while I play with One UI 5 beta. So cheers to that!
Thanks for your concern about my indecisiveness. I think I'll manage.

Enjoy the beta!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you had stated this in the title of the thread , you would not have got all the answers you were not looking for......
    It's implied in the first post...

Why is everyone so salty on XDA lately? It's quite humorous.