Question Has Anyone Else Had This Issue Shooting 4K Video With The 3x Camera?

Search This thread

No1VIPER

Apr 25, 2010
Here's the information on my current version and also here is a video showing the issue.

This issue only occurs when shooting in 4K. When shooting in 1080p it's absolutely fine. Which makes me think it's a software issue. I've tried resetting the camera app, clearing cache and data etc. But nothing seems to help. Is anyone else having this issue, or does anyone know a fix for it?

I've only just got the phone and finished setting it all up and when testing the camera I noticed this.

Here's another video showing the issue of shooting video using the 3x camera in 4K. As well as showing that it doesn't occur when shooting in 1080p. As some people thought it was due to low light.

Screenshot_20220124-030641_Settings.jpg

Last edited:

No1VIPER

Apr 25, 2010
I am no expert in photography or filming, but it may well be due to physical limitations of the camera icw software and not necessarily a bug.
This is why I want to see if anyone else can replicate this or not. Then at least I'll know it's not just my device.

This is why I want to see if anyone else can replicate this or not. Then at least I'll know it's not just my device.
To replicate, can you elaborate what exactly you did to make the video? (Settings in camera, how did you transition to the close-up (switch zoom/how or move the phone closer?)
I was not able to replicate and see the effect...

No1VIPER

Apr 25, 2010
To replicate, can you elaborate what exactly you did to make the video? (Settings in camera, how did you transition to the close-up (switch zoom/how or move the phone closer?)
I was not able to replicate and see the effect...
It happens when using UHD 30 in 16:9 and starting recording in 1x, then switching to 3x to zoom in. When shooting in FHD it doesn't happen though.

lywyn

Jul 19, 2010
Not sure what is wrong here? If it is the blurriness and lack of focus when zoomed then that is normal as the 3x is too close to the subject to focus.

Reactions: babyboy3265
No issue here, in particular when I verify ability camera to focus at 3x in advance and adjus the minimum distance between object (also a watch with illuminating dial at dark wooden table) and S21U camera (G998B).
If I start too close, no good focus thus bit blurry at 3x, but no lighting issue.

My guess is that the lighting conditions in shown video are just too dim.

babyboy3265

Sep 20, 2012
Jupiter
It's too dark and you are too close to the object for the 3x to focus properly.

The 3x has a tighter aperture and it takes in much less light than the 1x. It is only meant to be used in well lit scenarios and also not as close as you have it.

You also say it works if you shoot in FHD, so if you can also make the same video with the EXACT same conditions, do it and show us.

No1VIPER

Apr 25, 2010
I've added another video to the first post now showing a comparison between the 4K and 1080p videos. Also shoot in low light to show that it's not due to that.

Last edited:

No1VIPER

Apr 25, 2010
It's too dark and you are too close to the object for the 3x to focus properly.

The 3x has a tighter aperture and it takes in much less light than the 1x. It is only meant to be used in well lit scenarios and also not as close as you have it.

You also say it works if you shoot in FHD, so if you can also make the same video with the EXACT same conditions, do it and show us.
Did you see the new video I added to the first post?

babyboy3265

Sep 20, 2012
Jupiter
Did you see the new video I added to the first post?
I think you can mark your issue as solved and I will tell you why.

The reason that it looks fine on FHD, is because the phone does NOT switch to the 3x camera when you press the button. Since you are recording at 1080, it just crops the image smoothly. While at 4K it switches cameras and since you are too close to your object, the 3x camera does not manage to Focus. You can test this by putting your finger infront of the camera and see.

I would advice that you pull your phone 10cm back and then try this again, the 3x camera should then focus properly.

olafsand

Jan 25, 2011
I think

babyboy3265 is correct. See my video from not so close to object.​

Attachments

• Screen_Recording_20220125-131026_Camera.mp4
    26.1 MB · Views: 0

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am no expert in photography or filming, but it may well be due to physical limitations of the camera icw software and not necessarily a bug.
    Not sure what is wrong here? If it is the blurriness and lack of focus when zoomed then that is normal as the 3x is too close to the subject to focus.
    I've added another video to the first post now showing a comparison between the 4K and 1080p videos. Also shoot in low light to show that it's not due to that.
    Same issue here, Android 12 One UI 4.0, S21 Ultra Exynos variant
    Yes, because UHD60 uses only one lense and not zoom lenses.
    my Problem is just in UHD60 recording. i can choose between 1x ,3x or 10x before start the recording. When i start to record i dont have this 3x or 10x button any more. but in FHD or UHD30 i have it after start.
    Yes that was done by Samsung on purpose for a few reasons, one of them being that at 60 FPS the phone has to shoot at a higher shutter speed. That in turn gets less light in and also significantly lowers the quality in lower light environments. So switching cameras while recording at 60FPS is emitted. It also has something to do with processing limitations at 4K which would give very inconsistent results if u would be switching cams at 60 fps.

It might be added in the future on newer phones.