Has anyone hacked the new AA APK to support phone mode?

Search This thread

alaninsitges

Jun 13, 2014
Now that I stupidly upgraded to Android 12 on my Pixel, I can no longer use AA on my phone. For those who don't know, Google replaced AA's phone mode with Maps' "driving mode", which is a portrait-only mess of mostly-useless widgets. My car is never going to be able to have real Android Auto, so I'm stuck with phone mode, which has worked great for years.

Anyone know what would be involved in getting an older APK for run on Android 12? Or hacking the current version to show the phone mode UI again?

pieteckhart

Aug 20, 2008
Nieuw-Vennep
I have a similar problem. I've also upgraded to android 12 so I can't use Android auto anymore. After updating it did launch at first but I guess it auto updated to a version that disabled it on Android 12. So it seems that android 12 can run it just fine.

I'm perfectly willing to try out the new driving mode but I'm living in the Netherland which is not a supported county at the moment.

So google basically removed a feature I used every day without providing me with an alternative.

So I'm hoping there will be modified asks that will skip the android 12 check or some way to enable driving mode In unsupported countries. I don't mind driving in portret mode (I'll take anything at the moment), but would prefer landscape.

Reactions: musichem

pieteckhart

Aug 20, 2008
Nieuw-Vennep
I found an interesting workaround in running the Headunit Reloaded app in Self Mode.

Seems to work fine on Android 12 🙂.
It provides the same interface that build in Android Auto car units would have, so it differs a bit from the mounted phone version.
Search the forum for more information.

It's a paid app though.

Reactions: musichem

pgunning1

Apr 27, 2007
I think many have this issue with AA car mode. I'm in the UK and have this issue also my poco F1 won't allow AA to backdate an install without root.

All I want is for the 0hone AA to show calendar entries and weather would be awesome. I loved the original AA but it's very dull on current phones.

Can anyone help or assist with a custom apk or know of one, that can be installed normally and work as it used too. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

Samuel Holland

They have cardashdroid. I'm still on eleven and this morning after the last aa update I seen it looked like aa aiontweaker was not working anymore or at least I didn't have split screen. I'm on OnePlus 9 pro and haven't updated because I didn't want to lose some features.

pgunning1

Apr 27, 2007
can you uninstall AA and reinstall with older version?
Hi thanks for the question, no an unrooted Poco F1 won't let you uninstall or back date to an older app.

I've tried the AA for screens but it doesn't do calender entries, so I have to input all the time where I'm going and weather isn't there, although not critical, I did love this feature.

It's just a blank screen and even texts aren't read now, so it's killed the app for driving. Older cars in the UK don't have onboard screens and I'd rather use the phone for traffic updates than an bad sat nav.

Itnwasnonce a great app but not anymore.

So any chance of customising the app for these basic functions would be great.

Atb

musichem

May 22, 2008
OnePlus 6
Google Pixel 3a
Also, I don't think an older APK will help. It seems to be a server side switch. My Android Auto continued working right after upgrading to 12, but after a couple of hours, it quit working and redirects to the "no longer supported" screen. I think we'd need to spoof the Android version somehow, which is something I can't begin to guess at how to do.

pgunning1

Apr 27, 2007
That's a shame I was hoping that at least the calendar could be integrated, I noticed that in permissions calandar is disabled, other permissions are allowed. So I was assuming that if the permission could be enabled that calendar entries could appear if encoded to display etc. I didn't think it was all server based as why would they remove the permission?

Just a thought anyway.

Atb

Polidt

Jan 6, 2014
Guys, what about running AA on Android 10? I was using aa for phone screens on my huawei p30 and it just stopped working without any update 😭

pgunning1

Apr 27, 2007
Yep ggogle have basically stopped any alterations or updates on my phone's to AA. So it's a dead duck it water I can't even use Waze as an alternative!

If a modded AA could be created, with local weather and calender shown that would be great, and the option of Waze again.

Atb

Jan 16, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S8
I found an interesting workaround in running the Headunit Reloaded app in Self Mode.

It provides the same interface that build in Android Auto car units would have, so it differs a bit from the mounted phone version.

It's a paid app though.
How are you running 'Self Mode' on an Android 12 phone? Mine doesn't seem to work when I try to start it
That being said the only workaround I've found is to use another phone (Android <12) as the master by turning ON hotspot, open HUR on the Android 12 phone and click the wifi icon

pieteckhart

Aug 20, 2008
Nieuw-Vennep
How are you running 'Self Mode' on an Android 12 phone? Mine doesn't seem to work when I try to start it
That being said the only workaround I've found is to use another phone (Android <12) as the master by turning ON hotspot, open HUR on the Android 12 phone and click the wifi icon
Maybe you still need to "Start head unit server" in the Android Auto app?
I only found out about it after taking the time to read the instructions ;)

You first need to enter developer mode:

1641229980479.png

After that you have a new menu option:

1641230018226.png

mcmanuf

Aug 13, 2009
What a despicable move by Google.
I upgraded S21 ultra from Android 11 to Android 12, worst mistake ever.
Apart from losing Android Auto for phone screens, I dont even have option for driving mode assistent.
What absolute bull****, taking a working product away, and making driving more unsafe.
No 3rd party solution comes near.

Would be so gratefull if someone found a workaround/hack to get AA for phone screens working again.

Jan 16, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S8

pgunning1

Apr 27, 2007
So if goovle are crippling AA for phone users, are there any working good alternatives out there as I haven't found a simple talk to sat Nav linked to waze or Google maps, with text and voice answering hands free.

Most of the apps are crippled by Google so there's nothing out there that seems to give a decent stab at a navigation solution with calls and text response facility.

Any advice on this would be appreciated 👍

Atb

alaninsitges

Jun 13, 2014
There is no good alternative. There are a couple of apps like Automate or whatever it is called now, but they are truly terrible compared to AA. Google have been updating "driving mode" over the last six months, but true to form they have only made it worse. This week it removed the one icon I had to use to launch the music player and replaced it with SIX icons to random podcasts I have never heard of, about subjects I have no interest in.

Every single day when I get in my car, I hate Google more.

Eternal283

Sep 1, 2016
So if goovle are crippling AA for phone users, are there any working good alternatives out there as I haven't found a simple talk to sat Nav linked to waze or Google maps, with text and voice answering hands free.

Most of the apps are crippled by Google so there's nothing out there that seems to give a decent stab at a navigation solution with calls and text response facility.

Any advice on this would be appreciated 👍

Atb
Try Roav Viva (radio connection) or Alexa (bluetooth/aux/USB connection) car adapters, they plug into the 12-volt accessory plugs and have always on microphones and wind canceling software.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Now that I stupidly upgraded to Android 12 on my Pixel, I can no longer use AA on my phone. For those who don't know, Google replaced AA's phone mode with Maps' "driving mode", which is a portrait-only mess of mostly-useless widgets. My car is never going to be able to have real Android Auto, so I'm stuck with phone mode, which has worked great for years.

Anyone know what would be involved in getting an older APK for run on Android 12? Or hacking the current version to show the phone mode UI again?
    There is no good alternative. There are a couple of apps like Automate or whatever it is called now, but they are truly terrible compared to AA. Google have been updating "driving mode" over the last six months, but true to form they have only made it worse. This week it removed the one icon I had to use to launch the music player and replaced it with SIX icons to random podcasts I have never heard of, about subjects I have no interest in.

Every single day when I get in my car, I hate Google more.
    I have a similar problem. I've also upgraded to android 12 so I can't use Android auto anymore. After updating it did launch at first but I guess it auto updated to a version that disabled it on Android 12. So it seems that android 12 can run it just fine.

I'm perfectly willing to try out the new driving mode but I'm living in the Netherland which is not a supported county at the moment.

So google basically removed a feature I used every day without providing me with an alternative.

So I'm hoping there will be modified asks that will skip the android 12 check or some way to enable driving mode In unsupported countries. I don't mind driving in portret mode (I'll take anything at the moment), but would prefer landscape.

It's a paid app though.