• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Has anyone here come over from Sprint?

Search This thread

vinscuzzy

Mar 5, 2006
Im in the Los Angeles area and after 10 years of being with Sprint, Ive finally come to my wits end. The data is awful. Ive had a ppc6600, ppc 6700, HTC Diamond, Treo 800w, Palm Pre, Samsung Moment, HTC Evo, Evo3d, Galaxy S2, and S3. Ive been a sprint advocate for years now, probably gotten at least 6 people to switch to sprint. But I cant just deal with the dropped calls and slow data. No, its not my phone, my rom, etc. Its just Sprint. I called cust service to cancel and based on my call-connection ratio, they've decided to let me out of my contract without paying the ETF. I had to bring in my phone for one last diagnostic check, and the tech said its not my phone, its the network, and he totally understands me leaving. Im seriously considering T-Mobile for obvious reasons, but I was just wondering if anyone could share their experience with switching from Sprint. Preferably in the L.A. area, but Im open to hear other experiences. Are you happy? Is the cust service good? Mainly is the 4g data as fast/faster/more consistent?

Da Kine

Apr 25, 2011
Santa Rosa, Ca
I've recently had a few trips to L.A. and didn't have any issues with dropped calls or signal strength. The customer service is decent.

You could always go to T-Mobile's website and check the coverage map if your worried about the coverage.

I've had sprint....never going back lol.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

pre4speed

Apr 17, 2011
lancaster
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I'm not with tmo, but I have my son on their $30 plan. Also not in the LA area, but some 40 miles north. I can say up here in the desert, tmo is awful. He can't make phone calls inside our house. can't judge data cuz he's using tmo service with skyrocket so only receives edge. Even when we go down to that area for any reason, he has at most 3-4 bars while my at&t s3 has full with lte. Good luck in your choice.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Been w T-Mobile for 13-14 years (since the voicestream days!). Never have had an issue, customer service has always been good to me too. Far far from your area, but I for one have no intention of leaving anytime soon.

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk 4

Reactions: Perseus

4Orr

Jan 26, 2012
I've been with T-Mobile since AT&T bought out Cingular. In my experience, T-MOBILE service has been great in all large centers I've lived and traveled through including San Diego through to L.A.

vinscuzzy

Mar 5, 2006
Thanks for all the responses! In the past 2 days I heard negative feedback about t-mobile from radioshack, target, and best buy. They all said its worse than sprint, and that's why they don't carry T-Mobile anymore. I do realize that of course they are going to badmouth the company they don't sell, but I must admit I'm more confused now than ever on what to do. :confused:

pre4speed

Apr 17, 2011
lancaster
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Thanks for all the responses! In the past 2 days I heard negative feedback about t-mobile from radioshack, target, and best buy. They all said its worse than sprint, and that's why they don't carry T-Mobile anymore. I do realize that of course they are going to badmouth the company they don't sell, but I must admit I'm more confused now than ever on what to do. :confused:

Best bet is to find people around you with tmo. Friends, family, coworkers. Anyone, just ask around.

mondokat

Dec 17, 2011
I had sprint and switched. Sprint's coverage along pch is better than tmo, but Sprint's data sucks ass. By default tmo phones have built in WiFi calling to help with bad coverage in the mountain areas. Without WiFi calling you'll still have good coverage in most populated areas. Tmos customer service is better and their prices are comparable.

Long story short, switch dude. Tmo is better in LA.

voidcomp

Sep 26, 2011
I semi gave up on Sprint. By that I mean I dumped them and went to Ting. No, it doesn't change the piss poor data rates but the lower cost makes it a bit more acceptable.

Testing TMo right now, actually its mvno Solavei. Data rates are much better BUT coverage isn't as widespread as Ting (Sprint). For now I'll keep both in case I find myself out of territory on either.

Perseus

Retired Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
Been w T-Mobile for 13-14 years (since the voicestream days!). Never have had an issue, customer service has always been good to me too. Far far from your area, but I for one have no intention of leaving anytime soon.
+1 I have had T-Mobile in San Diego. Decent Coverage Decent Data. LA has quiet a lot of coverage from them. I have been with T-mobile for 9 years. I have made others switch to T-mo as well. I will not even think about switching to others.

As to the Radioshack and others crappy feedback, know this, These Sales guys get hefty commission for pushing VZW and Sprint. They don't probably get as much commission from T-Mo. So it is in their interest that you don't switch to T-Mo.

Here's T-Mo's Coverage map. Enter your address and it will tell you what kind of coverage you will get.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Lol! That just reminded me....
Anyone see Verizon's recent commercial? They had the coverage maps and theirs was the only one you could tell was for the US. When they show T-Mobile's LTE coverage it's this tiny little bit, less than anyone else, but you have to pay very close attention! It's not T-Mobile's coverage, it's labeled T-Mobile/Metro PCS!
So their only showing metros LTE coverage, but since T-Mobile bought them, Verizon labeled it with T-Mobile to trick people into thinking they were showing tmo's coverage instead!
To me this says a few things!
T-Mobile LTE is more of a competitor than people give credit for.
Verizon must be getting desperate to resort to tactics like this!

Sorry to go a little OT. But it can be relevant in that the other carriers don't want to show T-Mobile's actual LTE offerings. They have been expanding and upgrading like crazy the past few years, and are continuing to do so. So don't write them off if someone says their service was terrible a few years ago. It may be completely irrelevant now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I've been with T-Mobile since AT&T bought out Cingular. In my experience, T-MOBILE service has been great in all large centers I've lived and traveled through including San Diego through to L.A.

Lol! That just reminded me....
    Anyone see Verizon's recent commercial? They had the coverage maps and theirs was the only one you could tell was for the US. When they show T-Mobile's LTE coverage it's this tiny little bit, less than anyone else, but you have to pay very close attention! It's not T-Mobile's coverage, it's labeled T-Mobile/Metro PCS!
    So their only showing metros LTE coverage, but since T-Mobile bought them, Verizon labeled it with T-Mobile to trick people into thinking they were showing tmo's coverage instead!
    To me this says a few things!
    T-Mobile LTE is more of a competitor than people give credit for.
    Verizon must be getting desperate to resort to tactics like this!

Sorry to go a little OT. But it can be relevant in that the other carriers don't want to show T-Mobile's actual LTE offerings. They have been expanding and upgrading like crazy the past few years, and are continuing to do so. So don't write them off if someone says their service was terrible a few years ago. It may be completely irrelevant now.