Has anyone successfully unlocked/rooted their ZTE nubia Red Magic Mars

Search This thread

tomasxp

Dec 15, 2012
Hello,
I just received this weird phone I never heard or seen before and I need to root it. I'm afraid to start doing anything because I don't know if I will be able to flash back stock image (let alone find it) if anything goes south. Has anyone successfully tinkered their phone?

Yes. Managed to unlock and root mine yesterday, but with some caveats.

Some of the commands are different.

fastboot oem nubia_unlock NUBIA_NX619J

Is the command to start the bootloader unlock in Fastboot mode.

Then you can do

fastboot flashing unlock

To fully unlock the bootloader.

It appears you have to do the fastboot flashing unlock part each time in fastboot mode.

I flashed the boot.img modified with Magisk, had to reboot into fastboot again and redo flashing unlock before I could boot with my modified boot image. Everything since worked as expected.

One benefit to the Red Magic Mars is that it has an actual recovery partition and does not use the A/B slot partitioning system that so complicates other devices. So as long as you leave the recovery partition alone, you will be able to restore to stock using a USB C thumbdrive with the image file on it.

Reactions: tomasxp

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes. Managed to unlock and root mine yesterday, but with some caveats.

Some of the commands are different.

fastboot oem nubia_unlock NUBIA_NX619J

Is the command to start the bootloader unlock in Fastboot mode.

Then you can do

fastboot flashing unlock

To fully unlock the bootloader.

It appears you have to do the fastboot flashing unlock part each time in fastboot mode.

I flashed the boot.img modified with Magisk, had to reboot into fastboot again and redo flashing unlock before I could boot with my modified boot image. Everything since worked as expected.

One benefit to the Red Magic Mars is that it has an actual recovery partition and does not use the A/B slot partitioning system that so complicates other devices. So as long as you leave the recovery partition alone, you will be able to restore to stock using a USB C thumbdrive with the image file on it.