Has anyone successfully updated to Android 11 with Magisk?

Search This thread

timg11

Jul 20, 2010
Google Pixel 3 XL
Google Pixel 5
I see "11.0.0 (RQ1A.201205.003, Dec 2020" is available for Crosshatch and Blueline.

I'm still on Android 9 with Magisk installed by patching the boot image.

Is the following process still valid and supported for applying an OTA update to Android 11, and then re-installing Magisk?

1) Magisk Manager → Uninstall → Restore Images
2) Apply the OTA update :
__a) Boot into factory recovery
__b) Choose Apply update from ADB
__c) From windows: adb sideload crosshatch-ota-rq1a.201205.003-4d6e609b.zip
__d) Reboot phone and let the update finish in Android
3) Separately download the corresponding Factory image: crosshatch-rq1a.201205.003-factory-d5cb2a93.zip. Extract the boot.img, move it into the Pixel 3 XL's download folder
4) Uninstall old Magisk manager and install the latest Magisk Manager (Direct Install Magisk Manager v8.0.4 from here, per Magisk installation instructions)
5 ) Open Magisk Manager and Press Install ==> Press Install again ==> Select Patch a File ==> Select the boot.img file in "Download". It will be patched.
6) Copy the magisk_patched.img file to your computer's Platform-tools folder
7) Boot Pixel 3 XL into fastboot mode by typing the commad: adb reboot bootloader
8) Once phone is on fastboot mode then type: fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
9) Once it's done then type the command : fastboot reboot
10) Open Magisk Manager and check if its rooted

This is based on the process from about a year ago. so please reply if anything has changed.

Last edited:

TonikJDK

Dec 9, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I see "11.0.0 (RQ1A.201205.003, Dec 2020" is available for Crosshatch and Blueline.

I'm still on Android 9 with Magisk installed by patching the boot image.

Is the following process still valid and supported for applying an OTA update to Android 11, and then re-installing Magisk?

1) Magisk Manager → Uninstall → Restore Images
2) Apply the OTA update :
__a) Boot into factory recovery
__b) Choose Apply update from ADB
__c) From windows: adb sideload crosshatch-ota-rq1a.201205.003-4d6e609b.zip
__d) Reboot phone and let the update finish in Android
3) Separately download the corresponding Factory image: crosshatch-rq1a.201205.003-factory-d5cb2a93.zip. Extract the boot.img, move it into the Pixel 3 XL's download folder
4) Uninstall old Magisk manager and install the latest Magisk Manager (Direct Install Magisk Manager v8.0.4 from here, per Magisk installation instructions)
5 ) Open Magisk Manager and Press Install ==> Press Install again ==> Select Patch a File ==> Select the boot.img file in "Download". It will be patched.
6) Copy the magisk_patched.img file to your computer's Platform-tools folder
7) Boot Pixel 3 XL into fastboot mode by typing the commad: adb reboot bootloader
8) Once phone is on fastboot mode then type: fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
9) Once it's done then type the command : fastboot reboot
10) Open Magisk Manager and check if its rooted

This is based on the process from about a year ago. so please reply if anything has changed.

You might be able to skip all the step 2's and just check for update after unrooting and take the ota normally. That has worked for me for quite awhile.

Other than that, your steps are spot on and work with 11.

timg11

Jul 20, 2010
Google Pixel 3 XL
Google Pixel 5
You might be able to skip all the step 2's and just check for update after unrooting and take the ota normally. That has worked for me for quite awhile.

Other than that, your steps are spot on and work with 11.

Thanks for the reply. So to take the OTA (which I do get periodic prompts for), I'd just use the "uninstall" function at the bottom of Magisk Manager, then take the update?

Can you confirm that you moved from Pie (9) to Android 11 in one step?

I just posted in a Magisk thread asking about the boot method change between Android 10 and Android 11. I'm unclear of the implications. Hopefully Google has tested all the from/to contingencies in their OTA process?

wangdaning

Sep 17, 2012
Wuxi
Thanks for the reply. So to take the OTA (which I do get periodic prompts for), I'd just use the "uninstall" function at the bottom of Magisk Manager, then take the update?

I just posted in a Magisk thread asking about the boot method change between Android 10 and Android 11. I'm unclear of the implications. Hopefully Google has tested all the from/to contingencies in their OTA process?

Best practice would be to do an actual update and reboot bootloader to flash your patched boot.img. If you are jumping android releases problems might arise that no one can account for and generally you should do a full wipe when switching releases. Google has by no means accounted for any contingencies in the ota process, read the disclaimer they give upon an ota (any data lost in the process is never their fault, so backup you stuff). Patching the boot image through the manager is the preferred method, anything else is very difficult to troubleshoot.

TonikJDK

Dec 9, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro

By boot method do you mean unroot, do not boot, update do not boot, then root the inactive slot?

Do not do that, on 11 it can go bad in fact if you have 11 it will not even be available in Magisk. He took it out for now due to problems.

What I was suggesting bead unroot, boot, take the OTA, boot. Then patch the boot img and flash it.