Has anyone unlocked their g1 running on cyanogen?

Search This thread

cmcx_linux

Dec 19, 2009
Well, the story goes like this:

Bought a g1 and the second logical step was to put in cyanogen. After a while I thought that an unlocked phone would be even better. Went online and purchased the unlock code and tried to use it while running cyanogen. Did not work. Flashed to rc29, tried again, did not work. Then I went to another unlock provider and this guy, gave me the same code as the first, based on my IMEI ( I don't have a fake IMEI), he tried it as well and did not work. Then he searched for different version of the code based on the IMEI for different htc products ( it seems that they have some accounts with htc and for IMEI they receive the unlock code). We also tried it with a goldcard which only made my g1 scream that I don't have a simcard inside.
Bottom line, did cyanogen mood do something to the unlock procedure ( hard locked the phone on tmobile - on tmobile the phone works fine) ? Or I just happened to have a weird phone, Thank you.
Btw, my unlock code is 92179512. Feel free to try it. It would be funny as hell if it were to unlock someone elses phone, and if it does, let me know as well.

Last edited:

kusotare

Apr 12, 2009
Colorado
I unlocked my phone on a MUCH older version of CM, so I wouldnt be able to tell you if anything has changed to effect the process. However, if you're a TMO customer, you do know that after 90 days they will GIVE you the unlock code for free, right?

phuKKah

Jan 22, 2009
ATL
I also have unlocked it on Cyanogen mod, but I believe I was on 4.2.7.1 at the time.... not that long ago really.... but T-Mobile does indeed give away the unlock code for free, and it worked flawlessly.

A

AdrianK

Neither the ROM, SPL or radio can effect the simlock. It's not Cy's ROM that's causing the problem...

What do you mean 'it doesn't work'? Does the phone reject the code?

cmcx_linux

Dec 19, 2009
Thank you for the reply. Well the problem is that I don't have a contract with Tmobile since I don't have the money for it. I bought it off from someone and used Tmobile prepaid sim card, which works fine. And, because of that, Tmobile won't provide me with an unlock code :) .
Regarding the code, when I type in the code it says network unlock unsuccessful, so I can't do much about it. I'm trying to update to the latest stock donut and see what happens.

A

AdrianK

Ah that sucks :-( I really can't of any options for you, since any codes generated will always be the same...

ohgood

Aug 8, 2009
Birmingham
nope -

Thank you for the reply. Well the problem is that I don't have a contract with Tmobile since I don't have the money for it. I bought it off from someone and used Tmobile prepaid sim card, which works fine. And, because of that, Tmobile won't provide me with an unlock code :) .
Regarding the code, when I type in the code it says network unlock unsuccessful, so I can't do much about it. I'm trying to update to the latest stock donut and see what happens.

notice in the replies above, that cyanogen nor spl, nor anything software related can change your unlock status.

you already have an unlock code, and since you've had it generated from two different sources, i believe that code is correct for THAT IMEI number. that being said, did you copy the imei number from the sticker on the inside, or from what the phone shows in "PHONE INFO" ? I'd make sure they both match.

i also have a phone that is flacky about SIMs. haven't found an explanation yet, I think some of the boards have bad solder joints, or there is another hardware problem that causes similar errors. no proof yet. :)

try a friends Tmo sim card, and if his is recognized, and allows data connection, you'll know it's your phone that is locked, and that all the hardware is working. i'll bet you entered the wrong code because the sticker inside was wrong, or you fat fingered it. just a guess.

good luck, please update the thread when/if you find a definite answer. :)

pjcforpres

Nov 11, 2008
CR
I would bet the IMEI on the sticker and on the board are different... where did you buy said phone and for how much? It could very well be a refurb, which will have bits and pieces from several different phones, and thus could have the SIM locked guts for phone 666 and the case from phone 888 type thing.

cmcx_linux

Dec 19, 2009
Yep, checked it 10 times the first time I bought the code online. The same imei in about this phone is on the sticker. After I saw it did not work, I went to a local unlock shop around my place and the guy there checked it again more than 6 times. So.. weird eh? And both guys got the same code from HTC based on that IMEI

rjgonza

Aug 1, 2006
E.R.
rjgonza.com
Sounds like this may be a hardware error. If that is the unlock that is generated then it should just work. The unlock does not really pertain to the rom or anything else that people usually mod. Also, maybe ask that dude why he was giving up that phone, maybe there is really something wrong with it.

MasterCATZ

Aug 25, 2009
the only other thing left is get an turbo unlocker chip that sits between SIM and phone

pain in ass to install but I have done it with out cutting the SIM card

I am guessing someone had typed the code in incorectly .. they can be permiatly locked if wrong code has been entered

also just because it was another person does not mean their MEI source wasn't the same :p

I guess they worked out they work ,,, I payed $5 for mine .. now 4x the price

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEXT-SIM-TUR...wItemQQptZPDA_Accessories?hash=item4cec3cab8c

Last edited:

phonexpert_alex

Nov 29, 2007
Bremen
The unlock codes sources are all the same. I lost over 100$ trying to get unlock codes from them but 80% of them don't work (only the ones for htc phones). I use a turbo sim with my G1 and is really easy to install. just buy one and cut your sim where the CHIP from the turbo sim is located. It works flawlessly.

h1p1n3

Jan 24, 2009
Western NY
Im just throwing this out there to say that I was able to successfully unlock my g1 with CM 4.2.10.1

Other than that I would just be repeating what was already said if I was to give any advice.

Best of luck man.

Last edited:

jeffrimerman

Mar 4, 2007
Alhambra
If you live close to pasadena

Yep, checked it 10 times the first time I bought the code online. The same imei in about this phone is on the sticker. After I saw it did not work, I went to a local unlock shop around my place and the guy there checked it again more than 6 times. So.. weird eh? And both guys got the same code from HTC based on that IMEI

You're welcome to try it with my sim card. But you're probably far far away.

texasaggie1

Aug 10, 2004
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 9 Pro
tmo will give out unlock code

I unlocked my phone on a MUCH older version of CM, so I wouldnt be able to tell you if anything has changed to effect the process. However, if you're a TMO customer, you do know that after 90 days they will GIVE you the unlock code for free, right?

Actually, they will give you an unlock code after 90 days of being a customer and every 90 after the last time you got an unlock code. They will give you an unlock code the same day you buy the phone if you meet those requirements.

dshyang50

Nov 9, 2008
San Diego
Sorry if this is irrelevant to the rest of the thread, but assuming I unlock on JF 1.5 (yea I'm behind) to ATT, and wipe everything to install a HeroUI ROM of some sort, will the unlock still be in effect or will I need to unlock the phone again?

Thanks.

h1p1n3

Jan 24, 2009
Western NY
Sorry if this is irrelevant to the rest of the thread, but assuming I unlock on JF 1.5 (yea I'm behind) to ATT, and wipe everything to install a HeroUI ROM of some sort, will the unlock still be in effect or will I need to unlock the phone again?

Thanks.

You'll be ok.

I actually like JUST did it on a coworkers(I admit, going from WiMo to Android is a learning curve, but its easy), he got his from craigslist, had JF 1.5 on it. He used it for like a week, complained about sluggishness (he did have like 20 apps constantly running) Anyway, after a few beers and lurking here (it was when I was deciding what HTC to get) we decided to go to CM (latest build). Everything went fine step by step.

I cannot vouch for your particular ROM but for CM it was fine.