• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Has heating issue of this phone been fixed?

Search This thread

stebrick

Aug 24, 2021
I'm considering whether to buy this phone because how compact and elegant it is. :love:

Thing is the heating issue I've heard of is holding me back. I've heard that the heating issue of Zenfone 8 has been fixed over the last 2 updates but I'm not quite sure about it. Can anyone confirm this? Does intense use (such as 4k video shooting or gaming) make it very hot?

And I wonder, in case it has been fixed, is the Snapdragon 888 CPU performance still the same? I'm worrying that Asus might have lower the CPU frequency or such so that the CPU generates less heat...

Kemez

Mar 28, 2011
Hey,

Intense gaming and 4k video recording will still make the phone hot. After several minutes of 4k recording camera app will close because of overheating.
What? Maybe in Marrakesch that's true. I just did 5min 8k recording to check that nonsense statement. The phone got warm under the camera. Did not close nor did it give any warning.

Are there any phones that do not get hot during intense gaming??

I am using the provided case and the warmth is there but nothing untouchable nor risky.

I assume it depends where you live. In very hot countries you may get the warning that's it's getting hot.

Reactions: Sam6536

assasss

Jun 14, 2012
ASUS ZenFone 8
@Kemez
In Munich, Germany which is not a "hot" country.

Nonsense? Not sure why you have that attitude but there are multiple threads on Zentalk forums about this issue.

Example 1: https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/51884/shut-down-camera-overheating#latest

Example 2: https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/49295/heating-issues-asus-zenfone-8#latest

Which says: "I am barely able to record 6 minutes of 4k 60 fps before the camera app shuts down. And mind you, this happens at an ambient temperature of about 29 °C, not 35. "

There is probably more but I didn't want to waste more time into it

I own and like the phone but the thermals are not the best and I just have said objectively what is the situation right now. Many other phones with the SD888 chipset are suffering from the same issues

Kemez

Mar 28, 2011
@Kemez

Nonsense? Not sure why you have that attitude but there are multiple threads on Zentalk forums about this issue.

Example 1: https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/51884/shut-down-camera-overheating#latest

Example 2: https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/49295/heating-issues-asus-zenfone-8#latest

Which says: "I am barely able to record 6 minutes of 4k 60 fps before the camera app shuts down. And mind you, this happens at an ambient temperature of about 29 °C, not 35. "

I own and like the phone but the thermals are not the best and I just have said objectively what is the situation right now. Many other phones with the SD888 chipset are suffering from the same issues
So you live in the same climate as I do. My phone gave me a warning on recording once, when in direct sunlight at around 34C. It has been after around 15min of recording and cooling it in shade or water instantly allowed me to record more.

You say that the camera closes after few minutes of recording. So this happens to you often? Not in a forum - how many times did you have it?

I own flagship phones (LG, Huawei, Asus) since many years and they all get warm under some conditions. Never had any issues because of that.

Reactions: Sam6536

assasss

Jun 14, 2012
ASUS ZenFone 8
So you live in the same climate as I do. My phone gave me a warning on recording once, when in direct sunlight at around 34C. It has been after around 15min of recording and cooling it in shade or water instantly allowed me to record more.

You say that the camera closes after few minutes of recording. So this happens to you often? Not in a forum - how many times did you have it?

I own flagship phones (LG, Huawei, Asus) since many years and they all get warm under some conditions. Never had any issues because of that.
So it happened to me 3 times and I switched the video recording to FHD 60fps after that.

As I said, I really like the phone, for my usage it is really good and I am sacrificing the thermals for the small form factor and performance. I anyway rarely record videos in general, so I am not at a loss.

For comparison on my previous pixel 3 during summer when the phone is in the car under direct sunlight and android auto is connected I would get the "phone is getting hot" once or twice a year. With the Zenfone 8 it never happened and it even almost doesn't get hot at all under the same circumstances, probably due to a more powerful SoC. But it does get pretty warm during gaming, I think without a case it would be impossible to hold the phone

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey,

Intense gaming and 4k video recording will still make the phone hot. After several minutes of 4k recording camera app will close because of overheating.
    What? Maybe in Marrakesch that's true. I just did 5min 8k recording to check that nonsense statement. The phone got warm under the camera. Did not close nor did it give any warning.

Are there any phones that do not get hot during intense gaming??

I am using the provided case and the warmth is there but nothing untouchable nor risky.

I assume it depends where you live. In very hot countries you may get the warning that's it's getting hot.
    @Kemez