Has nexus s fm radio on the board like nexus one?

Search This thread

stavros86

Jul 10, 2010
Athens
Hi, i have a question,does nexus s have fm radio on board like nexus one but it isnt enabled by software or it doesnt have at all?samsung galaxy s has fm radio so it should have if it isnt ripped from the board by google.Maybe with ripped apk from galaxy s rom should work here too??

ztm.000

Dec 29, 2008
Hi, i have a question,does nexus s have fm radio on board like nexus one but it isnt enabled by software or it doesnt have at all?samsung galaxy s has fm radio so it should have if it isnt ripped from the board by google.Maybe with ripped apk from galaxy s rom should work here too??

Well the Galaxy S line also has support for 720p video recording, but the Nexus S does not. So who knows. I was checking out the teardown from ifixit and it doesn't look like there are a lot of components on the board itself. I could be terribly wrong, but it looked very minimalistic and simple.

Sent from my Nexus S

kalagas

Dec 25, 2006
Crete
www.foodsafe.gr
I think Radio is not there...
But i am wondering why all people asks things that google never advertised...
The phone doesn't record on 720p, doesn't have radio etc etc...
We all must understand that Nexus S is most of a developer phone and google sell it to show what pure gingerbread can do....
So please to search reasons to buy or not....
All people asking for facillities that don't exist....
This is the phone....
If you want a phone to shoot 720p video, to have radio, to have led notification, to have metallic body etc etc, this isn't your phone...
If you want a phone with quick and very good support for Google and community, a phone with pure Android gingerbread, a full unlocked and Open Source phone to play with, then this phone is the only choice you have...

Reactions: ravidavi

dc211

Jul 21, 2010
Both the N1 and NS have the same chip (BCM4329) which has both FM TX & RX on the chip. I sure in time they will get the FM radio working.

Reactions: SpEnTBoY
J

JupiterDroid

Both the N1 and NS have the same chip (BCM4329) which has both FM TX & RX on the chip. I sure in time they will get the FM radio working.

Cy has already written the code to get it working on the N1, as soon as CM6 is merged into gingerbread we will have a great FM radio;)))

JD

distortedloop

Feb 14, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
We all must understand that Nexus S is most of a developer phone and google sell it to show what pure gingerbread can do....
This is the phone....
If you want a phone to shoot 720p video, to have radio, to have led notification, to have metallic body etc etc, this isn't your phone...
If you want a phone with quick and very good support for Google and community, a phone with pure Android gingerbread, a full unlocked and Open Source phone to play with, then this phone is the only choice you have...

I am wondering why people jump in with non-responsive posts. People ask questions because they don't know something and haven't found the answer by other means (assuming they looked). How does a response like yours help move the conversation forward.

The phone has a thousand features in it, and only a couple of dozen advertised. Should we assume that the 900+ features that aren't advertised don't exist and therefore are a reason not to buy the phone.

The Nexus One hardware supported FM radio reception, but Google did not put it in there; we had to wait for the hackers to add it. See this post.

It's certainly reasonable, in my opinion, to ask if the Nexus S, which many think is basically just a slightly modified Galaxy S (which supports FM radio) can do so, and if it's as simple as adding an apk from another Galaxy S device.

To the original poster, I don't know the answer, but if I were interested enough to do a little research, I'd google the ifixit teardown of the Nexus S, then see what radio chip it uses, and if that particular chip has FM radio capability. If it does, it's just a matter of time before some enterprising dev adds it in. Probably not as simple as installing an apk, there are most likely driver and/or kernel changes necessary to get it functioning.

edit: I see others have already looked that up. I've NEVER used FM radio on my N1 or SGS, but nice to know that it might be there someday, just in case. ;)

RogerPodacter

Apr 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
This is the phone....

Because the nexus one was said to not have radio, but after long we now have fully working f m radio on the nexus one. So why not do the same with the nexus s?

trystan2k

Jun 18, 2010
And do you think that with some code it will be possible to Nexus S video recording 720p as Nexus One ?

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
for as cool as it can be to have the FM radio like the SGS... i still ponder what is the point of it?

i know i know, just for the sake of having it, and the very rare occassion you will actually use, when you use your wired headphones....

but i've owned the SGS for 4+ month, i've only used it ONCE in the entire time, and it was only to check if it was working or not, and the people complaining the FM radio sounded like MONO (which was actually a code bug, and not hardware deficiency)

in this age of MP3 and AC3 and POT CAST, Streaming Radio stations (3G/WiFi) play backs... a good old authentic FM radio (which will not work if you are not using a wired headphone) has fallen into a "novelty" category, instead of a "cool feature" category as it was in the past.

if they could make the FM radio work without the wired headphones, and be able to Stream the FM audio via bluetooth, then that will really be Enjoyable
icon14.gif
and cool
:cool:

distortedloop

Feb 14, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
for as cool as it can be to have the FM radio like the SGS... i still ponder what is the point of it?

LOL, I just disagreed with you on something else in another thread, but on this topic, we're on the same page. I've also only used my FM radio on the SGS once, and just to see if it worked.

Now, if it offered HD radio service and some of the offset digital channels, it might get more use out of me. Seriously, I'd be more likely to use a built-in radio if it were AM for news and talk radio. For music, too many better options available to us on the data-connected phone.

Still, if the hardware's there, nice to be able to use it if you wanted.

eahiv

Sep 8, 2009
NYC
Would love to see FM radio

I used the radio on my n1 all the time running. I loved it and was assuming it wasn't there in the ns. I hope we get it soon!

Waza_Be

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 22, 2009
No FM radio, No Video output, No SD card...
A gingerbread that seem to be forgotten by Google, and will certainly get Honeycom within next weeks /month

This phone is very strange....

I cannot understand what Google/Smasung had in mind, that sound very strange.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is the phone....

I am wondering why people jump in with non-responsive posts. People ask questions because they don't know something and haven't found the answer by other means (assuming they looked). How does a response like yours help move the conversation forward.

The phone has a thousand features in it, and only a couple of dozen advertised. Should we assume that the 900+ features that aren't advertised don't exist and therefore are a reason not to buy the phone.

The Nexus One hardware supported FM radio reception, but Google did not put it in there; we had to wait for the hackers to add it. See this post.

It's certainly reasonable, in my opinion, to ask if the Nexus S, which many think is basically just a slightly modified Galaxy S (which supports FM radio) can do so, and if it's as simple as adding an apk from another Galaxy S device.

To the original poster, I don't know the answer, but if I were interested enough to do a little research, I'd google the ifixit teardown of the Nexus S, then see what radio chip it uses, and if that particular chip has FM radio capability. If it does, it's just a matter of time before some enterprising dev adds it in. Probably not as simple as installing an apk, there are most likely driver and/or kernel changes necessary to get it functioning.

edit: I see others have already looked that up. I've NEVER used FM radio on my N1 or SGS, but nice to know that it might be there someday, just in case. ;)
    This is the phone....
    Yes. the Nexus S indeed has FM capabilities, courtesy, the BCM4329 chip inside