• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.

Have you heard? 2016 Honda Pilot has an Android based radio.

haxy

Jan 24, 2011
I don't see the "Android Setting" option under "Developers Menu" section on my Honda Civic 2016 EX-T. Can any know where to find "Driver Distraction" option in the same model?
I'm pretty sure hes not talking about the US version. I have a civic touring and there is no such setting.

jersacct

Nov 28, 2010
I have root

Dirtycow was the way to go, but the other exploits I could find didn't work.

I used the file replacement version of the dirtycow exploit to replace /system/etc/factory_reset.sh with a nefarious version that mounted /system r/w and copied over an su binary and set permissions to allow all to execute and all SUID.

Now the fun begins :)

Attachments

jersacct

Nov 28, 2010
Does that mean it's rooted now?!
I would say yes. That's still only a first step though - the Honda services that are preventing other APK installations still need to get worked around, but this should make things easier.

Lo and behold, I was trying to be quiet in the garage, with the car not idling, and killed the dang battery without much playing around time. I did manage to grab the Whitelist.xml file I believe is being used, but didn't get a chance to play with it.

When I get a chance I'll put together a post with my method & scripts used, did it all over WiFi ADB without much trouble.

Reactions: ammarbukhari

enyce9

Jun 26, 2008
I would say yes. That's still only a first step though - the Honda services that are preventing other APK installations still need to get worked around, but this should make things easier.

Lo and behold, I was trying to be quiet in the garage, with the car not idling, and killed the dang battery without much playing around time. I did manage to grab the Whitelist.xml file I believe is being used, but didn't get a chance to play with it.

When I get a chance I'll put together a post with my method & scripts used, did it all over WiFi ADB without much trouble.
Awesome?????

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

jersacct

Nov 28, 2010
Started a new thread with the guide & scripts here if anyone else is interested:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/general/guide-how-to-gain-root-shell-2016-honda-t3487644

I'm a heavy Linux user, so forgive that the main script (rootme.sh) is geared toward Linux. It's quite simple though, so you can open it up and look at the commands it's issuing (mostly adb pushes) and issue similar commands in a Windows command shell.

Got the battery on the charger, hope to play with it more and have more good news soon!

jersacct

Nov 28, 2010
Have you made any progress regarding carplay?
I haven't been able to install any APKs yet. The "Install" button is grayed out for 3rd party APKs, but interestingly, it's enabled when attempting to install an APK pulled from the system itself. I have a few theories I hope to try this weekend to work around the white list service.

epic4grooted

Sep 3, 2010
portland
I haven't been able to install any APKs yet. The "Install" button is grayed out for 3rd party APKs, but interestingly, it's enabled when attempting to install an APK pulled from the system itself. I have a few theories I hope to try this weekend to work around the white list service.
Couldn't you just rename any apk and install it that way

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

jersacct

Nov 28, 2010
Couldn't you just rename any apk and install it that way
Unfortunately no. The white list service and/or package installer are looking at the full package name (com.honda.****) within the APK, so a simple file rename doesn't work on these models like it does on the EU version.

I've tried deodexing then decompiling the white list APK, modifying the white list contents, recompiling and resigning. However, Android prevents overwriting an application with a different signature, and because that's a system app, uninstalling & replacing it isn't straightforward. I've actually deleted the stock APK, replaced it with my modified version, and rebooted, but with no change in behavior. I think there's a core service that's also performing some checks in addition to the com.honda.displayaudio.whitelist app.

There's also a whitelist.xml file in /data/system/, but modifying it doesn't seem to result in any behavioral difference when attempting APK instalation.

enyce9

Jun 26, 2008
Nice. For me my concern isn't carplay or Android auto, as I own a 2017 Ridgeline. I just want apk installation.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk