• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Having problems with updating Pixel 5 to latest Android 12 Beta version

Search This thread

Slender Troll

Oct 29, 2012
Lebanon
My Pixel 5 (stock unrooted locked bootloader) will not update via the System Update screen. I get a message saying:

"Problem updating this device

This device can't receive any future system updates. Contact your device manufacturer for support."

Prior to this, I was able to install Beta 1, 2, and 3 just fine via OTA. Now I can't update to Beta 4 because this message keep showing up.

So just now I tried to manually install it via adb using this guide:

However, I cannot complete step 7 because all I see on my phone's screen after it reboots into recovery is the bugdroid with his chest open with the red triangle with an exclamation point and the words "No command" and pressing the volume keys and power button does nothing, and after a minute or so, it reboots back into the normal phone.

Will also note that there doesn't seem to be an option to switch to "file transfer (MTP)" mode on my phone, as per step 5 here:

But aside from that, I'm able to see the device's serial number when I type .\adb devices into Windows powershell (in other words, I can complete the process, but just not enable MTP).

What am I doing wrong?

Or is my phone borked?

Slender Troll

Oct 29, 2012
Lebanon
Yup, so the step forgets to mention that you need to hold power + volume up + volume down for a sec to get it into the options screen....

Currently verifying update package... Crisis.... not averted?

`Error applying update: 61 (ErrorCode: :kDeviceCorrupted)
E:Error in /sideload/package.zip (status 1)

Install from ADB completed with status 1.
Installation aborted.`

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Why not unlock the bootloader? You'd be able to use the Android Flash Tool, and using TWRP would be able to install OTAs much easier.
This sounds like a prudent idea. @Slender Troll might be headed for some trouble and with a locked bootloader there is very little margin for error. Backup your data / pics / texts etc. to your computer and then either try to opt out of the beta or unlock the bootloader and flash the image you want. Personally I would never run a beta without an unlocked bootloader if it were my primary device. Too much can go wrong and you need to be able to recover with an image flash.

Reactions: V0latyle

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Why not unlock the bootloader? You'd be able to use the Android Flash Tool, and using TWRP would be able to install OTAs much easier.
    This sounds like a prudent idea. @Slender Troll might be headed for some trouble and with a locked bootloader there is very little margin for error. Backup your data / pics / texts etc. to your computer and then either try to opt out of the beta or unlock the bootloader and flash the image you want. Personally I would never run a beta without an unlocked bootloader if it were my primary device. Too much can go wrong and you need to be able to recover with an image flash.