Having Trouble unlocking the bootloader on Motorola Moto G22

Search This thread

Joshch96

Sep 8, 2022
Hi so today I Recieved a Motorola Moto G22 that I'd brought online.

Now upon booting the phone a number of things became apparent.

1) the stock image the phone comes with is seriously bad, from further inspection it appears google bloatware eats the ram.
2) upon thinking okay prehaps i should use a custom rom , however after many hours looking and trying diffrent things I've had no success.

So from trying many of the basic guides for unlocking motorola's bootloader, I've found an issue where i can't unlock it, when trying fastboot oem get_unlock_data
i get the following error " FAILED (remote: 'unknown command') " , I got this error with many other commands other guides suggested the only command that actually worked was "fastboot getvar all " which returned the varibles but with nothing really useful other than that the bootloader is locked.

so my question is : is it possible to unlock this thing and put better software on it?

software details which might help:
version: Moto G22 (XT2231-2} with android 12 RETGB 4GB ram 64GB space

I brought it to replace a sadly broken S9 which was working until the microphone stopped working for evering. (that and the buttons falling off)

Many Thanks in advance.

Josh

Joshch96

Sep 8, 2022
UPDATE: So after Many hours of trying to unlock I found a way to unlock the phone, however unlocking the bootloader triggers the dm-verity to loose it's mind.

for inromation if anyone is curious, I used MediaTekbootloaderunlock program which unlocked the bootloader.

So far Rooting this phone has not been anywhere near successful, i can tell they really don't want you changing the ROM.

Further Update: I have unfortunately Managed to Brick The G22 , Honestly I'd avoid this phone anyone who maybe thinking of getting this probably chose something else as the ROM it comes with is sluggish to say the least and (at least with my G22) would become unresponsive at random and lock up.

from what i can tell (and i'm no expert) they seem to really not want you to root this phone as the filesystem by default is read-only and by default you cant access certain directories either.

Last edited:

MAKEN7666

Nov 12, 2022
THE STEPS ARE PRETTY EASY IF YOU KNOW TO USE ANDROID SDK COMMANDS

THE FIRST STEP WILL BE TO DOWNLOAD LATEST ANDROID SDK (PLATFORM TOOLS)

THEN YOU HAVE TO DOWNLOAD THE GSI ANY GSI WILL WORK ABOVE ANDROID 12 FOR THIS I HAVE CHOSEN https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/gsi-unofficial-12-pixel-experience.4354695/
YOU COULD ALSO USE ANDROID 13 GSI BUT IT IS BIT LAGGY

AFTER DOWNLOAD IS DONE OPEN CMD ON YOUR PLATFORM TOOLS FOLDER AND USE THE COMMANDS GIVEN BELOW

fastboot devices

fastboot set_active a

fastboot flash product product_gsi.img

fastboot erase system

fastboot flash system system.img

after it is done reboot your phone

use the product image given here otherwise you will get error

you can get a message to format your device dont worry and just format it , also use fastbootd for the gsi flash

Now you will experiance some lag in system ui but dont worry just open settings select phh treble settings then misc features and there you will see the option force fps click on it and select [email protected] this will set the refresh rate to 90 and boom the phone will work smooth like a butter

Attachments

• product_gsi.img
    328 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

MAKEN7666

Nov 12, 2022
gsi image

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221112-190825_Settings.png
    Screenshot_20221112-190825_Settings.png
    199.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20221112-191635_Pixel Launcher.png
    Screenshot_20221112-191635_Pixel Launcher.png
    253.4 KB · Views: 43

MAKEN7666

Nov 12, 2022
Does this fix the stock UI lag? Even though it's on 90Hz I experience great lag. The app launches are slow and stutter. Does this image support fingerprint scanner, NFC tap to pay Google wallet, Netflix?
yes the system ui wont lag after setting the refresh rate to 90 and everything is working perfect because it is stockk motorola vendor

Last edited:

MAKEN7666

Nov 12, 2022
the gsi is far better than the stock rom i got improvement in performance and increase in fps in games like mcpe and cod

Last edited:

Arthursmithlik

Nov 10, 2022
Hi so today I Recieved a Motorola Moto G22 that I'd brought online.

Now upon booting the phone a number of things became apparent.

1) the stock image the phone comes with is seriously bad, from further inspection it appears google bloatware eats the ram.
2) upon thinking okay prehaps i should use a custom rom , however after many hours looking and trying diffrent things I've had no success.

So from trying many of the basic guides for unlocking motorola's bootloader, I've found an issue where i can't unlock it, when trying fastboot oem get_unlock_data
i get the following error " FAILED (remote: 'unknown command') " , I got this error with many other commands other guides suggested the only command that actually worked was "fastboot getvar all " which returned the varibles but with nothing really useful other than that the bootloader is locked.

so my question is : is it possible to unlock this thing and put better software on it?

software details which might help:
version: Moto G22 (XT2231-2} with android 12 RETGB 4GB ram 64GB space

I brought it to replace a sadly broken S9 which was working until the microphone stopped working for evering. (that and the buttons falling off)

Many Thanks in advance.

Josh
You we’re getting unknown command error because you were using normal fast boot use fastbootd to open it enter fastboot select recovery after few sec you wil see no command then hold and press repeatedly volume up and power button after that the recovery will appear then select enter fastboot then give commands it will work

Vinniciusf

Nov 16, 2022
You we’re getting unknown command error because you were using normal fast boot use fastbootd to open it enter fastboot select recovery after few sec you wil see no command then hold and press repeatedly volume up and power button after that the recovery will appear then select enter fastboot then give commands it will work

please explain how to unlock the bootloader, because I've done everything and I can't unlock it.

Reactions: AndroSanDev

AndroSanDev

Dec 18, 2014
Android Wear
Amazon Fire TV
I was able to unlock bootloader and install Android 13 gsi. I had to delete and recreate partitions since the stock system partition size was not sufficient for gsi 13 build.

Its smooth and great but gsi images are bare minimal and the stock dialer app is not working properly. It doesnt show the inprogress call and hence cant end it.

Is there a way to download a stable custom gsi like maybe pixel experience and install it? I tried to download a img file from an unofficial source and sideload it but it fails. Also is there a working twrp build that I can flash for moto g22?

Top Liked Posts