How To Guide HBM

Search This thread

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
HBM = high brightness mode?

Is it worth doing?
I prefer doing it through @flar2 's HBM app set to automatic when using his custom ElementalX kernel. They've made that kernel for each of the previous Pixels (and some other phones) so I expect once the source code drops they'll do so for the P6P as well.

It definitely made a difference in direct sunlight.

Ultimoose

Jan 17, 2011
The following command is how you can toggle HBM on our 6 Pro:

Code:
echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/1c2c0000.drmdsim/1c2c0000.drmdsim.0/backlight/panel0-backlight/hbm_mode

Replace the one with a zero to disable!
Any known downsides? I'm curious if there's no long term ill effects why it isn't just a default option. Any chance what's built in is 'what works for every panel' but HBM might cause an issue with a borderline panel that just barely squeaked through QA?

DanielF50

Jul 22, 2010
Hampshire, England
Google Pixel 6 Pro

Code:
echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/1c2c0000.drmdsim/1c2c0000.drmdsim.0/backlight/panel0-backlight/hbm_mode

I was playing around with this command a couple of days ago because I didn't feel that the maximum brightness was very good due to the Pixel 6 Pro using a Samsung s6e3hc3 display (cat /sys/class/backlight/panel0-backlight/device/panel_name), which is in fact the same display the Oppo Find X3 Pro uses & allegedly that goes upto 1300 nits.

I found that:

echo 1 >> /sys/class/backlight/panel0-backlight/hbm_mode

and

echo 2 >> /sys/class/backlight/panel0-backlight/hbm_mode

Both work to give the Pixel 6 Pro to achive a little more brightness (& they stay on after switching the screen off) - obviously setting HBM to "1" provides a little more brightness than "0", and "2" provides even more brightness than "1".

I used my ColourMunki Display to measure the brightness of the display multiple times & got the same results every time: these show that max brightness with HBM @ 0 is ~500 nits, HBM @ 1 is ~795 nits & HBM @ 2 provides 835 nits.

I'm hoping someone can replicate these numbers or verify with another, more accurate device & hopefully (when ElementalX is released) we will be able to toggle both HBM modes via the HBM widget

Attachments

• HBM_0.png
    HBM_0.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 259
  • HBM_1.png
    HBM_1.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 260
  • HBM_2.png
    HBM_2.png
    21 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
I prefer doing it through @flar2 's HBM app set to automatic when using his custom ElementalX kernel. They've made that kernel for each of the previous Pixels (and some other phones) so I expect once the source code drops they'll do so for the P6P as well.

Yeah, in the past I've been doing it with tbalden's CleanSlate kernel, which comes with QS toggles. He even has a High Brightness mode & a High Brightness Boost mode, which goes even beyond what High Brightness gives you. But until (or if) he builds his kernel for this phone I'm using flar2's HBM mode app and just toggle it on if I need to.

The other day I went into the bright sun for the first time with this phone to test it's native HBM abilities (without flar2's app). It definitely appeared to turn on by itself (took about 3-5 seconds), which is different from my Pixel 4 XL, where the HBM mode was disabled and hidden by default. The screen was also plenty bright for me to see, so I think all this talk about it not having enough Nits or not being bright enough is a bit exaggerated.

mac796

Aug 20, 2014
Long Beach
It's definitely not as bright as my op8 pro. I work outside so I always use flars hbm. I'm using it still but it's a little glitchy

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
The other day I went into the bright sun
The screen was also plenty bright for me to see, so I think all this talk about it not having enough Nits or not being bright enough is a bit exaggerated.
Can agree with this. Even with bright sunshine outside, I can still see everything without problem & sunglasses on (stock, no root, no forced HBM). That's the most extreme usecase I can think of, so that's fine on my end.

rickysidhu_

Apr 1, 2016
Vancouver
Any known downsides? I'm curious if there's no long term ill effects why it isn't just a default option. Any chance what's built in is 'what works for every panel' but HBM might cause an issue with a borderline panel that just barely squeaked through QA?
There might be a possible downside of screen burn in for having HBM on for extended periods. Maybe poor battery life as well.

I don't think there's a default option because I think Android will enable it automatically when the device is under bright light. This command lets you use the mode in any lighting condition

If I'm incorrect with any of this information, anyone who knows more, feel free to let us know!

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Ultimoose

Jan 17, 2011
There might be a possible downside of screen burn in for having HBM on for extended periods. Maybe poor battery life as well.

I don't think there's a default option because I think Android will enable it automatically when the device is under bright light. This command lets you use the mode in any lighting condition

If I'm incorrect with any of this information, anyone who knows more, feel free to let us know!
Thank you sir for the information, appreciate it!

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I used automatic HBM through @flar2 's ElementalX kernel and app on my Pixel 1 for several years - I never experienced any issues. It definitely made the screen brighter in direct sunlight than the Pixel 1 did by itself without the kernel and app.

Reactions: Lughnasadh

DanielF50

Jul 22, 2010
Hampshire, England
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I was playing around with this command a couple of days ago because I didn't feel that the maximum brightness was very good due to the Pixel 6 Pro using a Samsung s6e3hc3 display (cat /sys/class/backlight/panel0-backlight/device/panel_name), which is in fact the same display the Oppo Find X3 Pro uses & allegedly that goes upto 1300 nits.

I used my ColourMunki Display to measure the brightness of the display multiple times & got the same results every time: these show that max brightness with HBM @ 0 is ~500 nits, HBM @ 1 is ~795 nits & HBM @ 2 provides 835 nits.

Following up on this, I tested some HDR10+ videos on YouTube & if you run cat /sys/class/backlight/panel0-backlight/hbm_mode, when these are playing, you get a result of HBM: "1" so the kernel is obviously able to use this feature on a stock device, and maybe even utilises this when in extreme lighting conditions.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've update High Brightness Mode to support Pixel 6/6Pro (version 5.03).

Code:

I found that:

echo 1 >> /sys/class/backlight/panel0-backlight/hbm_mode

and

echo 2 >> /sys/class/backlight/panel0-backlight/hbm_mode

Both work to give the Pixel 6 Pro to achive a little more brightness (& they stay on after switching the screen off) - obviously setting HBM to "1" provides a little more brightness than "0", and "2" provides even more brightness than "1".

I'm hoping someone can replicate these numbers or verify with another, more accurate device & hopefully (when ElementalX is released) we will be able to toggle both HBM modes via the HBM widget
    HBM = high brightness mode?

Is it worth doing?

Yeah I use Tasker to create QS toggle with that command

Code: