• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

HD Calling and Advanced LTE on AT&T

Search This thread

IRatchett

Apr 17, 2008
Richmond,VA
You guys know that even if you show the switches and turn them on, that the LTE data doesn't work right? It's just showing the options and you can turn them on. I even have my OP5t added to my account as an ATT LG G6 and it doesn't work. Unless there is some agreement, like with the Essential Phone or Google's only official phone, you're out of luck.

Wrong. I have it working just fine. The wifi calling doesnt work but all i wanted was volte for the lte while im on the phone. Not a fan of the HD calling but im loving my lte while on the phone now :)

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
Exactly, that's what I was getting at. I talked to ATT several times, tried different IMEI's and nothing worked. Regardless of what the options in the menu claim, it doesn't work. If you are just using your phone it will say LTE. But when you make a call, as soon as it connects, it switches to 3G or HSPA+... It won't do phone calls and LTE data at the same time.

If it did, I would have kept the phone. But that's a pretty big feature to have to live without for me. That and HD calling, Wifi Calling, etc...

I wish that OnePlus would do whatever they need to do to get the phone "certified" for ATT, but I don't see that happening...

No you dont really as that would increase the price of the device by alot. Also keep in mind that it is really hard for a chinese OEM to be cert on any US carrier right now.

SquireSCA

Nov 30, 2011
Atlanta, GA
No you dont really as that would increase the price of the device by alot. Also keep in mind that it is really hard for a chinese OEM to be cert on any US carrier right now.

I don't mind it costing more. If it doesn't do the basic things that I need, then it doesn't matter how cheap it is... I can't use it.

And if rumors are true, the OP6 will be pushing up into Samsung price range anyway... So to be paying $600-700 for a phone, and not have basic things like Wifi calling, HD calling and LTE data when on a call(what's the use of tethering at 3G?)... then I see that as a huge problem... If I am gonna spend that much money on a phone, I don't want those limitations, you know? I don't want them on a $499 phone... LOL

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
I don't mind it costing more. If it doesn't do the basic things that I need, then it doesn't matter how cheap it is... I can't use it.

And if rumors are true, the OP6 will be pushing up into Samsung price range anyway... So to be paying $600-700 for a phone, and not have basic things like Wifi calling, HD calling and LTE data when on a call(what's the use of tethering at 3G?)... then I see that as a huge problem... If I am gonna spend that much money on a phone, I don't want those limitations, you know? I don't want them on a $499 phone... LOL

Well if you use those features then I can see that. Personally I shut all of those off as I have zero use for them.

One of the biggest issues is that Volte is a data based calling setup. (pretty much VOIP) and wanting to run a separate data connection on top of it is not really reliable. MY GF had it on her device and data was still pretty useless while on a call.

The cert takes months. So after they are done making the device it would be another 6 months for att to test it. Not to mention they have to get past the security groups and that also costs. One plus is not known for spending money on their devices. Heck they still cant even get wifi and BT not to interfere with each other when one signal is weak.

To be honest if you want to use ATT features you will pretty much have to get an ATT device. Other wise there is no promise that things will work or how well they will work.

SquireSCA

Nov 30, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Well if you use those features then I can see that. Personally I shut all of those off as I have zero use for them.

One of the biggest issues is that Volte is a data based calling setup. (pretty much VOIP) and wanting to run a separate data connection on top of it is not really reliable. MY GF had it on her device and data was still pretty useless while on a call.

The cert takes months. So after they are done making the device it would be another 6 months for att to test it. Not to mention they have to get past the security groups and that also costs. One plus is not known for spending money on their devices. Heck they still cant even get wifi and BT not to interfere with each other when one signal is weak.

To be honest if you want to use ATT features you will pretty much have to get an ATT device. Other wise there is no promise that things will work or how well they will work.

Hence why I went with the iPhone 8+ this time around...

When I am traveling for work, I often have to fire up a hotspot and tether my laptop to my phone for something, while talking on the phone with one of my sales reps or a client/prospect... If my data for tethering drops to 3G, then streaming a Webex presentation gets all choppy and doesn't work well... And not having HD calling or Wifi Calling isn't critical, but again, to not have it as an option in 2018 is annoying. haha

I know that the phone can do it, it's an ATT thing, but it sucks that such a killer phone gets "castrated"...

That the price on the new phone is likely to go up 20%, and still not have those basic things... It's a turn off for me, which bums me out because I *LOVE* their phones. I wouldn't buy anything else, regardless of price, if their phones had those features working on my carrier...

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T

When I am traveling for work, I often have to fire up a hotspot and tether my laptop to my phone for something, while talking on the phone with one of my sales reps or a client/prospect... If my data for tethering drops to 3G, then streaming a Webex presentation gets all choppy and doesn't work well... And not having HD calling or Wifi Calling isn't critical, but again, to not have it as an option in 2018 is annoying. haha

I know that the phone can do it, it's an ATT thing, but it sucks that such a killer phone gets "castrated"...

That the price on the new phone is likely to go up 20%, and still not have those basic things... It's a turn off for me, which bums me out because I *LOVE* their phones. I wouldn't buy anything else, regardless of price, if their phones had those features working on my carrier...

I can understand that. I just gave up one of their devices (let my GF have it) for an older device.

All they have to do is put in the money to get cert. But then they would have to do the same for every carrier in the states. Then add in the carrier bloat and the extra files to make things work. You cant really blame them for not wanting to go that route.

Reactions: rayandreas

SquireSCA

Nov 30, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I can understand that. I just gave up one of their devices (let my GF have it) for an older device.

All they have to do is put in the money to get cert. But then they would have to do the same for every carrier in the states. Then add in the carrier bloat and the extra files to make things work. You cant really blame them for not wanting to go that route.

Well, to be fair, they only really have to do it for ATT/Tmo as it doesn't support CDMA anyway, so that kicks out VZW and Sprint. They don't have to worry about the small carriers like cricket and Boost. To be honest, just ATT/Tmo would be good and cover most of the people out there.

If you are on Boost mobile, you aren't buying a $600+ phone. No offense to anyone on a budget or prepaid carrier. If your budget is that tight, you aren't dropping more than half a grand on a new phone, IMHO...

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
Well, to be fair, they only really have to do it for ATT/Tmo as it doesn't support CDMA anyway, so that kicks out VZW and Sprint. They don't have to worry about the small carriers like cricket and Boost. To be honest, just ATT/Tmo would be good and cover most of the people out there.

If you are on Boost mobile, you aren't buying a $600+ phone. No offense to anyone on a budget or prepaid carrier. If your budget is that tight, you aren't dropping more than half a grand on a new phone, IMHO...

Those carriers don't even really use CDMA much anymore. They use lte based Sim cards.

Thats not really true. Most developers on this site use prepaid services (data rates are normally better) while paying full retail for their devices. I can name at least 20 devs on the site that all run straight talk on their devices. As the service is the same, quality is the same, data rates are a bit better.

t3chwizard

Jul 20, 2013
I can confirm that in 2021 I have VoLTE and LTE+ on my OP5T on AT&T, only thing I am unable to get working is VoWiFi not sure if there might be a workaround for that, but that's where I am at right now.

Had a bit of a scare the other day when I put my sim in the "free upgrade" phone AT&T had sent me (because they decided my phone was supposedly unsupported and will not work in 2022, despite being fully compatible with 4G and LTE). I concluded it was a POS and then put my SIM back in OP5T and found that my line had been auto suspended due to the device being "incompatible" even though I had both VoLTE and LTE+ working literally an hour before this. I spent a little time on the phone with CS and eventually got someone to reactivate my line for the OP5T to work again. The first guy said they wouldn't do it, but I was persistent and got it fixed

AtoZ0to9

I can confirm that in 2021 I have VoLTE and LTE+ on my OP5T on AT&T, only thing I am unable to get working is VoWiFi not sure if there might be a workaround for that, but that's where I am at right now.

Had a bit of a scare the other day when I put my sim in the "free upgrade" phone AT&T had sent me (because they decided my phone was supposedly unsupported and will not work in 2022, despite being fully compatible with 4G and LTE). I concluded it was a POS and then put my SIM back in OP5T and found that my line had been auto suspended due to the device being "incompatible" even though I had both VoLTE and LTE+ working literally an hour before this. I spent a little time on the phone with CS and eventually got someone to reactivate my line for the OP5T to work again. The first guy said they wouldn't do it, but I was persistent and got it fixed
My luck hasn't been so good.

So I'm looking at a pixel 4a or a Nord n10 5g to replace the 5t. Possibly a op9

Anyone can recommend a suitable 5t replacement?

t3chwizard

Jul 20, 2013
My luck hasn't been so good.

So I'm looking at a pixel 4a or a Nord n10 5g to replace the 5t. Possibly a op9

Anyone can recommend a suitable 5t replacement?
I'd suggest a Pixel 5 or 4a since they support all the features on AT&T (wifi calling, hd voice, 5g). Nord won't support all of them and neither will OP9.

Take a look at this pdf with supported functions for the various devices AT&T has certified. Pixel 5 and 4a are on that list so that's your best bet. The document is updated regularly if I'm not mistaken so it could change but as I said those are your best bet.

t3chwizard

Jul 20, 2013
For anyone else though, if you're on OOS do *#800# and then go to logkit and function switch.

Enable volte, wifi calling and VT switch, reboot, then make sure you enable volte in network settings after rebooting.

After this do *#*#4636#*#* and go to phone settings, make sure you select LTE/WCDMA and click the 3 dots at the top right and check IMS status (volte should say available if you got it working).

I am currently on DotOS on my OP5T and that's how I got mine to work. As I mentioned before WiFi calling does not work as it's not whitelisted by AT&T most likely, but at least volte works now

AtoZ0to9

I'd suggest a Pixel 5 or 4a since they support all the features on AT&T (wifi calling, hd voice, 5g). Nord won't support all of them and neither will OP9.

Take a look at this pdf with supported functions for the various devices AT&T has certified. Pixel 5 and 4a are on that list so that's your best bet. The document is updated regularly if I'm not mistaken so it could change but as I said those are your best bet.
I pulled the trigger on a OP9 off eBay, but nearly went with a pixel 4, just figured a little more will get something I can use for years, hopefully. Maybe att will whitelist 5g eventually. Sad to see the 5t go, one of the best phones I've ever used.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.