HD Netflix on n9?

Search This thread

gbux

Apr 15, 2014
Riverdale NJ
Probably a dumb question, but we are getting 720/1080p HD playback on the Netflix app... Right? I only ask cause I went looking for information and all I found was this:
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23939

I also notice the 5x and the 6p aren't on there, so it's probably that it's an ancient article and all newer phones and tablets are getting it, but sometimes I wonder. (I know it's show dependent).

Also if it is HD, are we getting 720 or 1080?

dmantilal

Dec 31, 2012
I would be very surprised if we were not getting 1080p, assuming you have Netflix plan that offers HD streams. Even my ancient Nexus 7 was capable of 720p.

I just learned that Netflix now has three tiers offering SD, HD, and Ultra HD. Apparently my plan is locked at $7.99 for HD, but it looks like I will need to upgrade by next year. Ah well, happy to pay it. :D

letsief

Jan 29, 2015
Actually, the Nexus 9 is limited to standard definition, which is quite surprising, given that dmantilal is right about the Nexus 7 (2013) supporting HD streaming.

It comes down to DRM. Google/HTC either never put it through Netflix's certification program, or it couldn't pass testing.

doitright

Oct 31, 2014
Actually, the Nexus 9 is limited to standard definition, which is quite surprising, given that dmantilal is right about the Nexus 7 (2013) supporting HD streaming.

It comes down to DRM. Google/HTC either never put it through Netflix's certification program, or it couldn't pass testing.

Eh, that website *SPECIFICALLY* says that N9 gets HD. It is the 5th item from the top of the list, right below N7/13.

letsief

Jan 29, 2015
Eh, that website *SPECIFICALLY* says that N9 gets HD. It is the 5th item from the top of the list, right below N7/13.

Are you looking at this page. That page didn't seem to have the Nexus 9 listed last time I looked at it- I wonder how new it is.

That's interesting, though. It's been a few days since I tried. My Nexus 9 is running 6.0, but I haven't applied the January patch, nor have I installed the new Netflix update that just came out a day or two ago.

I'll try the test again when I get home. You can try it, too. Search for "Test Patterns" in netflix and start playing any video there. The video will report what resolution it is playing at. It will always start low, but in my case it never got up to HD resolution.

letsief

Jan 29, 2015
I'm definitely still limited to 720x480 resolution on my Nexus 9, despite running current firmware and the most recent version of the Netflix app.

Reactions: dmantilal

dmantilal

Dec 31, 2012
I'm definitely still limited to 720x480 resolution on my Nexus 9, despite running current firmware and the most recent version of the Netflix app.

Same here running CyanogenMod 13. The Netflix app maxes out at 1750kbit 720×480 when running the official NetFlix "test patterns" videos. I tried the hacked app with no luck. Is there some way to mod the build.prop to fake our device and get HD? (I tried & failed.)

Although I would prefer 1080p, I must say that with my above-average up-close vision that 720x480 @ 1750Kbit is more than adequate. Though, I am not someone who has ever watched a movie and said "if only there were more pixels!". I would rather watch The Matrix at VCD quality than Real World Road Rules in 4K. :p

letsief

Jan 29, 2015
Same here running CyanogenMod 13. The Netflix app maxes out at 1750kbit 720×480 when running the official NetFlix "test patterns" videos. I tried the hacked app with no luck. Is there some way to mod the build.prop to fake our device and get HD? (I tried & failed.)

I doubt it. I strongly suspect the SD limitation is enforced by DRM. Netflix is fairly tight-lipped about their DRM requirements, but my understanding is that to get HD video, a device needs to implement some type of hardware-supported DRM system. On Android devices, I believe that's usually DRM supported by ARM TrustZone.

If that's the case, a hacked app wouldn't be enough. You'd need to hack the code that runs in TrustZone, which is set up very early in the boot process.

Although I would prefer 1080p, I must say that with my above-average up-close vision that 720x480 @ 1750Kbit is more than adequate. Though, I am not someone who has ever watched a movie and said "if only there were more pixels!". I would rather watch The Matrix at VCD quality than Real World Road Rules in 4K. :p

For casual viewing, you're right, it isn't that bad. But I think you'd definitely notice the jump from 480p to 1080p.

dmantilal

Dec 31, 2012
@letsief
You have seen the hacked Netflix HD app? It seems version 3 introduced DRM but earlier versions were capable of being hacked.

Considering that almost every Android device being capable of 720p or better, the need for Netflix certification makes no sense to me.

letsief

Jan 29, 2015
@letsief
You have seen the hacked Netflix HD app? It seems version 3 introduced DRM but earlier versions were capable of being hacked.

Interesting. I didn't know about that. I saw your earlier reference to a hacked Netflix app, but I didn't know what you were specifically referring to.

@letsief
Considering that almost every Android device being capable of 720p or better, the need for Netflix certification makes no sense to me.

I assume certification is intended to check for security issues, rather than performance.

drtrmiller

Dec 7, 2008
I had to clear my data and cache after upgrading to 6.0 for it to get past 1750 kbps. Now works at 5000 kbps just fine.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.