[HD1925] [OP7TPROTMO] reserve.img dumps OTA fixer.

Search This thread

starcms

• This is fantastic info, I only wish I had read it a few days sooner. But alas, I find myself here again... Does anyone have the 10.0.43 reserve.img?

Hopefully, with these instructions, I won't have to come back for .44

One thing to add, it's no longer safe to use "Install to Inactive Slot (After OTA)" at all. Using it will now cause OTA upgrades to always fail.

If you use it after taking/installing the OTA but before rebooting, the update will now fail. I'm not sure exactly when they changed this, but according to the update logs, now during an update it verifies the checksums for all partitions (including boot) twice. Once during installation of OTA, and now again on first boot after OTA install. Because of this, using "Install to Inactive Slot (After OTA)" will result in the update failing upon rebooting and the phone reverting back to boot from the older version before OTA (by auto switching the active boot slot to what it was before the OTA)

Last edited:
    Reactions: Appreciative

Appreciative

Mar 6, 2015
    One thing to add, it's no longer safe to use "Install to Inactive Slot (After OTA)" at all. Using it will now cause OTA upgrades to always fail.

If you use it after taking/installing the OTA but before rebooting, the update will now fail. I'm not sure exactly when they changed this, but according to the update logs, now during an update it verifies the checksums for all partitions (including boot) twice. Once during installation of OTA, and now again on first boot after OTA install. Because of this, using "Install to Inactive Slot (After OTA)" will result in the update failing upon rebooting and the phone reverting back to boot from the older version before OTA (by auto switching the active boot slot to what it was before the OTA)

Does this mean the 'best' way we have to do this now is to unroot in magisk, take the OTA, let it boot fully ... And then ... ?

What's the preferred safe and quick method to get OTAs from this point? I don't like when they add hurdles to those of us who modify our phones in the guise of safety. I buy OnePlus phones specifically for their root and bootloader 'friendliness'. Do regular users really need their image checksums verified twice? We should have the option to not check ours after boot.

I'm dreaming of a world where they help make root life easier but I know I'm dreaming. I might get the OnePlus 9, maybe I should read up on that phones root woes beforehand, opposite of what I did for this one 😂.

And thanks in advance for your solid reply starcms

starcms

• Does this mean the 'best' way we have to do this now is to unroot in magisk, take the OTA, let it boot fully ... And then ... ?

What's the preferred safe and quick method to get OTAs from this point? I don't like when they add hurdles to those of us who modify our phones in the guise of safety. I buy OnePlus phones specifically for their root and bootloader 'friendliness'. Do regular users really need their image checksums verified twice? We should have the option to not check ours after boot.

I'm dreaming of a world where they help make root life easier but I know I'm dreaming. I might get the OnePlus 9, maybe I should read up on that phones root woes beforehand, opposite of what I did for this one 😂.

And thanks in advance for your solid reply starcms

Yes, unroot in Magisk (assuming you followed my prior instructions to ensure Magisk has a good backup to restore) or simply flash the stock boot image in fastboot, reboot, take the OTA, reboot, ensure you are running the OTA/latest version, then install Magisk as if it was the very first time (extract latest boot image, use Magisk app to patch it, use fastboot to BOOT -- NOT Flash -- it, use Magisk app to do Direct Install, reboot, all done).

For once, I highly doubt they did this (checking the checksums twice) as a hurtle to stop rooting, etc -- it's just a better way to ensure the update succeeded 100% on all partitions as a way to eliminate some update issues OnePlus was having on phones in general.

Edit: And this being a T-Mobile branded phone with no way to convert it to Global and therefore not being able to manually download nor install updates/OTAs from OnePlus is what really makes things so complicated on this very specific phone. The slap to the face is that the OP8, OP8 Pro, and 8T (8T+ as T-mobile calls it), as well as the OP7, OP7 Pro, and 7T T-Mobile branded phones, have Global variants and can therefore be converted to Global and can then get updates directly from OnePlus, including their beta releases.

We got screwed because we got the only OnePlus T-Mobile phone ever that can't be converted to Global because it (the 7T Pro with 5G and the X55 modem, Mclaren edition but that wouldn't have mattered) was only sold in the US by T-mobile -- there never was a global variant or any other 7T Pro variant with the X55 5G modem.

Last edited:

SaxManDan

Apr 12, 2018
    Not sure if this is necessary, but if anyone needs the script for 10.0.43, I'll have it attached to this message. This also has the 10.0.43 reserve.img for anyone that needs it.

NOTE: The boot image says 10.0.39 but that is the boot image for 10.0.43.

Attachments

• reserve.10.0.43.HD61CB.zip
      76.2 MB · Views: 42

Machine318

Sep 30, 2015
    Burlington
    is anyone else having issues when doing fastboot magisk_patched.img? my phone boots and once it gets to the screen lock it continually crashes. I can't unlock to continue.

EDIT: because I only restored images once I booted to the patched image GravityBox was causing the issue. uninstalled and it's all good.

Last edited:

TI028

Apr 29, 2021
    Hello.
    I apologize in advance for my English, I live in Russia.
    Recently bought a OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren Edition 5G (HD1925). I have already reread a bunch of Forum branches, but a few questions remain:
    1) You can install root rights on the device, but this removes the userdata section (reserve.img) with a special file and stops OTA updates. There is a forum thread that talks about restoring the userdata section. Is it currently possible to get root rights on the device and still save OTA updates ?
    2) Is the file from the userdata section (reserve.img) for OTA updates different for everyone, or is it the same for everyone ?
    (if this is a file with a specific hash sum for each device, then I would like to save my own file)

Is it possible to implement the scenario: unlock fastboot -> get root-rights -> restore the userdata partition (reserve.img) + lock the bootloader ?
    To have both root and updates.

Thank you in advance for any response.

Rx8Driver

• Jan 12, 2014
    My City
    OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren
    Hello.
    I apologize in advance for my English, I live in Russia.
    Recently bought a OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren Edition 5G (HD1925). I have already reread a bunch of Forum branches, but a few questions remain:
    1) You can install root rights on the device, but this removes the userdata section (reserve.img) with a special file and stops OTA updates. There is a forum thread that talks about restoring the userdata section. Is it currently possible to get root rights on the device and still save OTA updates ?
    2) Is the file from the userdata section (reserve.img) for OTA updates different for everyone, or is it the same for everyone ?
    (if this is a file with a specific hash sum for each device, then I would like to save my own file)

Is it possible to implement the scenario: unlock fastboot -> get root-rights -> restore the userdata partition (reserve.img) + lock the bootloader ?
    To have both root and updates.

Thank you in advance for any response.
    1) Yes, you can have root and OTA updates so long as you've restored the reserve.img that's deleted when the bootloader is unlocked. However, it's recommended to unroot in magisk before taking the OTA.

2) Same file for everyone.

Possible scenario: sounds possible to me, although I'm unsure if the bootloader will relock with a modified boot.img.... In addition, should this scenario work, after taking an OTA update you will lose root and with the bootloader relocked you'll then have to unlock again, wiping the entire user storage area, again deleting the reserve.img, and again you'll need to restore it after starting from factory scratch to reroot the device. It would be much simpler to just leave the bootloader unlocked, unroot, apply OTA, then reroot....

Reactions: Machine318

TI028

Apr 29, 2021
    1) Yes, you can have root and OTA updates so long as you've restored the reserve.img that's deleted when the bootloader is unlocked. However, it's recommended to unroot in magisk before taking the OTA.

2) Same file for everyone.

Possible scenario: sounds possible to me, although I'm unsure if the bootloader will relock with a modified boot.img.... In addition, should this scenario work, after taking an OTA update you will lose root and with the bootloader relocked you'll then have to unlock again, wiping the entire user storage area, again deleting the reserve.img, and again you'll need to restore it after starting from factory scratch to reroot the device. It would be much simpler to just leave the bootloader unlocked, unroot, apply OTA, then reroot....
    Understood :)
    So the unlock and subsequent updates will look like this: unlock fastboot -> root Magisk - > restore the userdata partition (reserve.img) -> (update arrives) -> unroot Magisk - > reboot -> get OTA updates -> reboot -> get root Magisk ?

And one more question. I found information that the Kali NetHunter kernel is suitable for OP 7T Pro from OP 7T. Hence the question: is it possible to put this kernel on OP 7T Pro McL Edt. 5G ?

Last edited:

starcms

• Understood :)
    So the unlock and subsequent updates will look like this: unlock fastboot -> root Magisk - > restore the userdata partition (reserve.img) -> (update arrives) -> unroot Magisk - > reboot -> get OTA updates -> reboot -> get root Magisk ?

And one more question. I found information that the Kali NetHunter kernel is suitable for OP 7T Pro from OP 7T. Hence the question: is it possible to put this kernel on OP 7T Pro McL Edt. 5G ?

No, the very first step before you even unlock your bootloader is to take a backup of your persist.img and store it in at least 2 different places. Otherwise you could potentially break the fingerprint scanner, lose all sensors, or even make the phone lose its IMEI. Persist.img is unique to your phone, it's different from everyone else's.

There are some very easy instructions in the custom ROMs threads in that subforum on how to take a backup of persist (and how to restore it when it eventually gets corrupted one way or another)

TI028

Apr 29, 2021
    No, the very first step before you even unlock your bootloader is to take a backup of your persist.img and store it in at least 2 different places. Otherwise you could potentially break the fingerprint scanner, lose all sensors, or even make the phone lose its IMEI. Persist.img is unique to your phone, it's different from everyone else's.

There are some very easy instructions in the custom ROMs threads in that subforum on how to take a backup of persist (and how to restore it when it eventually gets corrupted one way or another)
    Here's what I found:
    ----------------
    To make a backup copy of the persist.img section, enter the following commands via adb:
    1) [adb shell] - call adb shell
    2) [su] - getting superuser rights
    3) [dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/persist of= / sdcard/persist. img] - creates a backup copy of the partition
    4) [adb pull /tmp/persist.img persist. img] - copies the backup from the smartphone to the computer

To restore a backup copy of the persist.img partition, enter the command via adb, first downloading the backup file of the partition to the device along the path (/sdcard/persist. img):
    [dd if=/sdcard/persist.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/persist]
    ----------------

I found another option when to restore a backup copy of the persist.img partition, you need to use the MSM utility, and then manually move the unpacked persist.img to your smartphone. Next, you need to calibrate the sensors through the "factory mode".

Tell me, is this the correct information ?
    What is the most correct recovery option ?

You wrote about storing the file in two places (possibly on a smartphone and a PC). Is this in order not to accidentally delete this Backup and it was always "safe" ?

starcms

• Here's what I found:
    ----------------
    To make a backup copy of the persist.img section, enter the following commands via adb:
    1) [adb shell] - call adb shell
    2) [su] - getting superuser rights
    3) [dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/persist of= / sdcard/persist. img] - creates a backup copy of the partition
    4) [adb pull /tmp/persist.img persist. img] - copies the backup from the smartphone to the computer
    THE ABOVE PART IS CORRECT, however, there is a much better, MORE RELIABLE WAY to ensure you get a good backup. See

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-feb-hotdogg-unofficial.4191857/post-83949377

To restore a backup copy of the persist.img partition, enter the command via adb, first downloading the backup file of the partition to the device along the path (/sdcard/persist. img):
    [dd if=/sdcard/persist.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/persist]
    THIS IS ALSO CORRECT

But there is an easier, more reliable way to restore as well. From the bootloader simply type:

"fastboot flash persist persist.img"

Don't restore it until your fingerprint sensor stops working.

----------------

I found another option when to restore a backup copy of the persist.img partition, you need to use the MSM utility, and then manually move the unpacked persist.img to your smartphone. Next, you need to calibrate the sensors through the "factory mode".

NO NO NO, DONT EVER DO THIS!!!! YOU WILL MOST DEFINITELY CORRUPT YOUR PERSIST.IMG (You'll break the fingerprint sensor, possibly all your sensors)

NEVER attempt to calibrate the sensors yourself, You can't, only OnePlus has the other equipment needed to successfully calibrate the sensors.

Tell me, is this the correct information ?
    What is the most correct recovery option ?

You wrote about storing the file in two places (possibly on a smartphone and a PC). Is this in order not to accidentally delete this Backup and it was always "safe" ?

Yes, exactly. That file is unique to your specific phone. If it's lost or corrupted, and you don't have a backup, you could wind up with nothing but an expensive paperweight with a 6.7 inch screen. I'd highly recommend backing it up to the internet.

Last edited:

TI028

Apr 29, 2021
    THE ABOVE PART IS CORRECT, however, there is a much better, MORE RELIABLE WAY to ensure you get a good backup. See

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-feb-hotdogg-unofficial.4191857/post-83949377

THIS IS ALSO CORRECT

But there is an easier, more reliable way to restore as well. From the bootloader simply type:

NO NO NO, DONT EVER DO THIS!!!! YOU WILL MOST DEFINITELY CORRUPT YOUR PERSIST.IMG (You'll break the fingerprint sensor, possibly all your sensors)

NEVER attempt to calibrate the sensors yourself, You can't, only OnePlus has the other equipment needed to successfully calibrate the sensors.

Yes, exactly. That file is unique to your specific phone. If it's lost or corrupted, and you don't have a backup, you could wind up with nothing but an expensive paperweight with a 6.7 inch screen. I'd highly recommend backing it up to the internet.
    Thank you so much for your help :)

Tell me, do you know something about this issue: "And one more question. I found information that the Kali NetHunter kernel is suitable for OP 7T Pro from OP 7T. Hence the question: is it possible to put this kernel on OP 7T Pro McL Edt. 5G ?"

Is such a replacement of the kernel possible ?

Machine318

Sep 30, 2015
    Burlington
    Thank you so much for your help :)

Tell me, do you know something about this issue: "And one more question. I found information that the Kali NetHunter kernel is suitable for OP 7T Pro from OP 7T. Hence the question: is it possible to put this kernel on OP 7T Pro McL Edt. 5G ?"

Is such a replacement of the kernel possible ?
    BluSpark has a unified Kernel that has been reported working on our phones.

TI028

Apr 29, 2021

THIS IS ALSO CORRECT

Tell me, can I make a backup of the persist.img partition without root rights on the device ?

TI028

Apr 29, 2021
    Yes, follow the instructions on the link I posted to back it up using the MSM tool
    Thanks for the help :)
    It's all good. I got root rights (Magisk).
    However, Kali Nethunter could not be installed.

TWRP installed. I followed the instructions (Copy twrp, magisk, Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt & NetHunter image to USB-C drive -> Flash TWRP, reboot into TWRP, insert USB drive, flash twrp zip - > Reboot into recovery & format data -> Install "Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt" & Magisk -> Reboot to system & finish Android setup -> ...)

After setting up the Android-system, i need to go to TWRP and install Kali NetHunter Image, but I can't do it, because the system and data partitions do not want to be mounted (because they are encrypted).

What can I do in this situation ?
    How do I avoid encrypting these partition (even after installing Disable Dm-Verity ForceEncrypt) ?

RypeDub

Hey all, I'm having a problem where after I upgraded to Android 11: my computer doesn't recognize my device in fastboot mode so I can't send any commands.

ADB works when my phone is booted.

Fastboot used to work because I used to update the root when incremental updates happened.

There have been 0 software and 0 hardware changes between the last time I could fast boot and now.

How so I figure out this driver issue ?

Last edited:

Rx8Driver

• Jan 12, 2014
    My City
    OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren
    Hey guys, so interesting story.... I've been on .41 and hadn't restored my reserve.img yet... Was planning on doing so, so I could upgrade to .43 then the android 11 update... Well, my device just updated to android 11, skipping .43, and without the reserve.img in place.... Just thought I'd share that little nuance lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      I was able to update to Android 11 from a rooted version of 10.0.37.HD61CB, in spite of not being unable to install the intermediate updates on android 10. I don't know how, but I was thankful that it worked. I was previously rooted, but once I updated to android 11 it was removed. I want to root my phone phone again on android 11 using a patched magisk boot.img, but I have concerns that I will not be able to receive future OTA updates. If I flash the magisk boot.img and install magisk will I be able to still recieve and install future Android 11 updates?

Yes, you simply need to flash back to the stock boot image (not the one modified to enable Magisk) before attempting to take an OTA update. And then re-root again after OTA is fully complete and booted into new version.
      Does anyone have the reserve & persist images for 11.0.1.2? I can't get either the MSM tool or the Linux edl.py script to dump anything from my phone.
      ntzrmtthihu777 said:
      Ok. I've put together some packages to help people who unlocked their bootloaders
      and got stuck on version 10.0.13, 10.0.14, or 10.0.16, or who unlocked
      (or will unlock) on version 10.0.19 and wish to get whatever the next OTA version is.

reserve.10.0.*.HD61CB.7z has all the files needed to re-insert your reserve.img where
      it should be and correct its permissions. It should allow you to OTA ifyou don't root
      after this (this uses a temporary root), or if you unroot before trying to take it. Pick
      the version that matches whatever version you are currently on.

Files:
      reserve.10.0.13.HD61CB.7z
      SHA256: 047c18bc7cf29aef556ed023a061276ff940201d5184355da977a911ccb43931
      reserve.10.0.16.HD61CB.7z
      SHA256: 0b180e338e889aee149672ba026fb02c16f56d1dfad9351dd9e9f3fabee7d310
      reserve.10.0.19.HD61CB.7z
      SHA256: 34f92a7f114d3bb4dd8e7cf5aee47ad3909f79fa8ccc97fdaa417ef422dc21ed
      reserve.10.0.25.HD61CB.7z
      SHA256: 85157f6f9f386c2d87235762862fbd5c6f844ab9f750fc5637b87a2fc0c25815

Instructions:

0. This script starts at the normal system screen.
      1. Unzip.
      2. If you're on windows, extract the contents of platform-tools_r29.0.5-windows.zip
      into the root of the same folder. If you're on linux, adjust your $PATH variable in shell.
      3. Run fix-reserve.sh or fix-reserve.bat for linux or windows respectively.
      4. Follow the instructions in the prompt. (when it says 'when you're booted' that
      means booted and unlocked (pin, pattern, whatever. userdata needs to be decrypted
      at this point)).
      5. It will reboot you. Magisk manager will still be installed but you will otherwise
      not be rooted. The magisk_patched.img in this folder will root you permanently
      if you would like.
      Hope this helps! This has been tested to work on a device unlocked on 10.0.13,
      and there is little reason to believe it won't work on others. Also, if you use the
      msm tool for these devices, and wish to unlock and continue to get OTA updates,
      you must use this package, as MSM relocks you, and will destroy reserve.img again.

Those of you who have used this, please keep an eye out for updates from TMO
      and report back whether you were able to update.

Confirmed that it works with brand new OTAs. Several members of the TG group
      took the update from 10.0.16 and 10.0.19 without issue after restoring reserve with
      these packages.
      I've posted these in some other threads, but I guess I should post them here as well.

Each ZIP is named according to the build your phone is currently one. For example, if you are on 10.0.31 and want to update to 10.0.35, download the 10.0.31 archive, after which time you should be able to accept the OTA. If you are currently on 10.0.34, download that archive.

10.0.31 - https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=4349826312261762168
      10.0.34 - https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=4349826312261814735
      10.0.35 - https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=4349826312261819229
      For anyone that unlocks their bootloader after the OTA to 10.0.36, here's an updated package to fix future OTAs.

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=8889791610682891398
      There's another update out today, 10.0.25, claiming big 5G improvements.
      Hehe. Anywho, why you askin? you got a 10.0.16?
      Oh yeah, for sure. Don't know why I waited on unlocking and/or updating. Maybe I just never quite found the time? Only thing I got around to doing was getting SIM unlocked.

I'm at work for the next 9 hours, but after that... Well, after that I'm willing to do whatever needs to be done to help out.