[HD1925] [OP7TPROTMO] reserve.img dumps OTA fixer.

Search This thread

starcms

Does anyone have the reserve & persist images for 11.0.1.2? I can't get either the MSM tool or the Linux edl.py script to dump anything from my phone.

The persist image is for your specific phone only!! You can't use someone else's without definitely breaking the FP sensor, possibly all sensors, and even lose or change your IMEI!!

And you shouldn't have even unlocked the bootloader without backing it up first. The MSM tool takes perfect backups of any and all partitions if you simply follow the instructions found on the first page in many custom ROM threads in our subforum. It's not difficult at all. Also, your persist isn't tied to any specific version. It's meant never to be changed at all ever.

There is another way to back it up, which has already been posted many times, using DD commands, but it's not as reliable if you need to restore it in my experience.

Last edited:

eqroiueq

Aug 27, 2017
The persist image is for your specific phone only!! You can't use someone else's without definitely breaking the FP sensor, possibly all sensors, and even lose or change your IMEI!!

And you shouldn't have even unlocked the bootloader without backing it up first. The MSM tool takes perfect backups of any and all partitions if you simply follow the instructions found on the first page in many custom ROM threads in our subforum. It's not difficult at all. Also, your persist isn't tied to any specific version. It's meant never to be changed at all ever.

There is another way to back it up, which has already been posted many times, using DD commands, but it's not as reliable if you need to restore it in my expernce
My phone is locked. Trying to follow the instructions to get a backup with the MSM tool results in "Error 31" and nothing gets backed up. The Linux edl.py tool also will not work.
Thanks for the info about persist.img. I didn't know that.

starcms

My phone is locked. Trying to follow the instructions to get a backup with the MSM tool results in "Error 31" and nothing gets backed up. The Linux edl.py tool also will not work.

I've heard of an error on some of the older MSM versions that have "expired.". Try setting your computer's clock back a year and see

TI028

Apr 29, 2021
Thanks for the help :)
It's all good. I got root rights (Magisk).
However, Kali Nethunter could not be installed.

TWRP installed. I followed the instructions (Copy twrp, magisk, Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt & NetHunter image to USB-C drive -> Flash TWRP, reboot into TWRP, insert USB drive, flash twrp zip - > Reboot into recovery & format data -> Install "Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt" & Magisk -> Reboot to system & finish Android setup -> ...)

After setting up the Android-system, i need to go to TWRP and install Kali NetHunter Image, but I can't do it, because the system and data partitions do not want to be mounted (because they are encrypted).

What can I do in this situation ?
How do I avoid encrypting these partition (even after installing Disable Dm-Verity ForceEncrypt) ?
Guys, tell me, is there any way to fix my problem ?

starcms

Also make sure you are opening the MSM tool as an administrator and that you haven't set some Windows 10's built-in security too high because the MSM tool writes the backed up files to the root of C:\ When is it giving you that error?

starcms

Guys, tell me, is there any way to fix my problem ?

You are apparently using a very old version of Magisk.

If you disable Disable_Dm-Verity and ForceEncrypt options in Magisk Manager, it won't work. Our phone needs those selected to work. But if you download the newest version, you don't have to worry about it as it is handled automatically. And the version of Magisk you are using is likely too old to work regardless.

Edit:

But after re-reading your post, I don't believe that's even what you are talking about. It sounds like you are talking about some Magisk module. And what is NetHunter? Also, there is also no TWRP zip for our phone either, only an image that you can boot to. Never mentioned using a USB-C drive either.

After re-reading and still trying to understand at least some of your post, it seems like you read my instructions, ignored every bit of them, and then just randomly combined different methods for multiple types of random phones and hoped it would work...You are taking about so many things I never mentioned at all. And that aren't mentioned anywhere relating to this phone.

Last edited:

TI028

Apr 29, 2021
You are apparently using a very old version of Magisk.

If you disable Disable_Dm-Verity and ForceEncrypt options in Magisk Manager, it won't work. Our phone needs those selected to work. But if you download the newest version, you don't have to worry about it as it is handled automatically. And the version of Magisk you are using is likely too old to work regardless.

Edit:

But after re-reading your post, I don't believe that's even what you are talking about. It sounds like you are talking about some Magisk module. And what is NetHunter? Also, there is also no TWRP zip for our phone either, only an image that you can boot to. Never mentioned using a USB-C drive either.

After re-reading and still trying to understand at least some of your post, it seems like you read my instructions, ignored every bit of them, and then just randomly combined different methods for multiple types of random phones and hoped it would work...You are taking about so many things I never mentioned at all. And that aren't mentioned anywhere relating to this phone.
I did everything according to your instructions and I succeeded. With getting root rights, MSM recovery, etc., I have no questions.

I just tried to install Kali Nethunter on my device.
To do this, you need to install TWRP, flash through it "Disable_Dm-Verity ForceEncrypt.zip", Magisk, and the Kali Nethunter core (also zip).

I managed not to launch, but to install TWRP in the device. However, after installing Migisk, "Disable_Dm-Verity ForceEncrypt.zip" and launch Android (when the initial system setup occurs) I can't install the Kali Nethunter kernel via TWRP, because the "system" and "data" partitions cannot be mounted.

P.S.
In other words, neither Magisk nor "Disable_Dm-Verity ForceEncrypt.zip" does not allow you to avoid encrypting partitions after the initial launch of Android.

I was trying to figure out how to fix it.

TI028

Apr 29, 2021
Since there is a kernel image "Kali NetHunter" for the OnePlus 7 and 7t Pro smartphone, I wanted to try to flash the kernel on our device.

Rx8Driver

Jan 12, 2014
My City
OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren
You must have already previously restored it after first unlocking the bootloader. There's no way an OTA can succeed without reserve.img. Check the update logs, it checks dozens of different partitions. If a single one doesn't match the expected checksum, it fails.
Well that's what my understanding always was, but this is a replacement device (broke the screen on my original) from T-Mobile by way of warranty replacement and I'm certain I rooted and never restored the reserve.img..... I'm gonna dig up the log and see what I can find....

Rx8Driver

Jan 12, 2014
My City
OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren
Since there is a kernel image "Kali NetHunter" for the OnePlus 7 and 7t Pro smartphone, I wanted to try to flash the kernel on our device.
There's another way to install nethunter.... Get the nethunter store... Then install nethunter and it'll install in a chroot alongside android... Unfortunately, after upgrading to android 11 I lost root and haven't gotten it back yet, but the install is still there.... Previously it worked flawlessly...

I am working on re-rooting now, soon as I have root back I'll post the screens of Nethunter running and some further instructions for getting it installed... Also, I'm not sure if it was a requirement or not, but I always had the latest EdXposed and RIRU core installed and running correctly before installing Nethunter.... And lastly, there's a solution for running Nethunter KEX without root at all, but you'll be limited to things that don't require root privileges, so no wifi monitor mode or packet injection :/

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210524-171308.jpg
    Screenshot_20210524-171308.jpg
    527.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

TI028

Apr 29, 2021
There's another way to install nethunter.... Get the nethunter store... Then install nethunter and it'll install in a chroot alongside android... Unfortunately, after upgrading to android 11 I lost root and haven't gotten it back yet, but the install is still there.... Previously it worked flawlessly...

I am working on re-rooting now, soon as I have root back I'll post the screens of Nethunter running and some further instructions for getting it installed... Also, I'm not sure if it was a requirement or not, but I always had the latest EdXposed and RIRU core installed and running correctly before installing Nethunter.... And lastly, there's a solution for running Nethunter KEX without root at all, but you'll be limited to things that don't require root privileges, so no wifi monitor mode or packet injection :/
As I understand it, if you do not flash the Kali NetHunter kernel, then third-party wifi modules will not work (connected via usb-c). :(
So I wanted to flash the kernel.

What you describe, I managed to get on my device. However, this is not the full functionality.

Rx8Driver

Jan 12, 2014
My City
OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren
As I understand it, if you do not flash the Kali NetHunter kernel, then third-party wifi modules will not work (connected via usb-c). :(
So I wanted to flash the kernel.

What you describe, I managed to get on my device. However, this is not the full functionality.
Far as I know the USB-C Wifi adapters work under chroot....I'll have yo try it out, but unfortunately there is no working TWRP for our devices and what you've described is exactly the problem, we can't mount system currently, so there's no flashing kernels :/ Until someone builds a working TWRP for our specific model were SOL.... Fortunately, for my purposes the CHROOT has been fine, although I use a laptop that triple-boots Kali, Parrot, and Garuda Linux (Arch base) for all my, uh, excursions (lol) so I've only touched on a few of the nethunter features, mostly HID and NFC attacks....

TI028

Apr 29, 2021
Hmm... so HID attacks work ? :)
I thought that on HID, too, the functionality will be limited.

I'll test it. Great ;)

eqroiueq

Aug 27, 2017
Also make sure you are opening the MSM tool as an administrator and that you haven't set some Windows 10's built-in security too high because the MSM tool writes the backed up files to the root of C:\ When is it giving you that error?
Security: Do you mean the UAC settings? (I haven't used Windows regularly since XP, and I'm using a family member's computer for this.) That's set to the default. I tried setting it to lowest. They also have ESET Internet Security installed. After disconnecting from the Internet I tried disabling everything on ESET that I can figure out how to.
It's giving that error right after it seems to successfully back up ssd (it creates an 8kb file ssd.bin). I had selected all partitions.
I've heard of an error on some of the older MSM versions that have "expired.". Try setting your computer's clock back a year and see
Unfortunately, this didn't help either. I tried setting the clock back a year, and two years.

Would the log file be good for anything?

starcms

Security: Do you mean the UAC settings? (I haven't used Windows regularly since XP, and I'm using a family member's computer for this.) That's set to the default. I tried setting it to lowest. They also have ESET Internet Security installed. After disconnecting from the Internet I tried disabling everything on ESET that I can figure out how to.
It's giving that error right after it seems to successfully back up ssd (it creates an 8kb file ssd.bin). I had selected all partitions.

Unfortunately, this didn't help either. I tried setting the clock back a year, and two years.

Would the log file be good for anything?

I'd bet it's your antivirus (ESET) preventing the MSM tool to be able to write to C:\

eqroiueq

Aug 27, 2017
I'd bet it's your antivirus (ESET) preventing the MSM tool to be able to write to C:\
Update: With everything I can think of disabled (WIndows built-in security, everything ESET will allow w/o actually uninstalling it), I can back up *some* partitions. However, I get Error 31 on the following ones:
- persist
- op2
- mdm_oem_dycnvbk
At this point I gave up because I had to restart the phone in EDL mode every time a partition failed to backup.
I really only want persist and reserve.

starcms

Update: With everything I can think of disabled (WIndows built-in security, everything ESET will allow w/o actually uninstalling it), I can back up *some* partitions. However, I get Error 31 on the following ones:
- persist
- op2
- mdm_oem_dycnvbk
At this point I gave up because I had to restart the phone in EDL mode every time a partition failed to backup.
I really only want persist and reserve.

Considering most partitions were able to be backed up successfully with ESET disabled, but still error 31 on those 3, you still have something blocking the MSM tool from being able to write certain things to C:\

Disable fully then uninstall ESET (and any other non-Windows anti-virus, anti-spyware software, etc), reboot, then make sure Windows' security center settings and virus protection are set to default levels or below, reboot, try again. There's one option in Windows' security center settings, not under virus protection, but further down that does something to the effect of blocking apps from doing sensitive operations to some specific files and directories. Make sure that crap is off.

And what's the big deal about restarting the phone into EDL mode? If you don't want to do it via the button combo, from Android or recovery you can issue an adb command or from the bootloader a fastboot command to reboot into EDL. Just make sure you are ready with the MSM tool and USB cable so u grab it b4 it automatically exits EDL mode if 10 seconds pass and no activity.

I can post reserve here if it hasn't already been posted for the first release of OOS11 (pretty sure it already has, if not here, a similar thread in same subforum). All you need to worry about is backing up persist because persist is unique to your specific phone and no one else's will do. I'd also recommend backing up your param partition.

Edit: It's also possible you are using the wrong drivers, but since most partitions are now backing up, I kinda doubt it. But it's possible and something else to check. Just Google "error 31 msm tool" if still no luck

Edit2: And yes, the log file from the MSM tool backup could be useful. But I'm pretty sure it's saying unable to write whatever file to C:\. But it won't say why because it doesn't know.

Last edited:

eqroiueq

Aug 27, 2017
And what's the big deal about restarting the phone into EDL mode? If you don't want to do it via the button combo, from Android or recovery you can issue an adb command or from the bootloader a fastboot command to reboot into EDL. Just make sure you are ready with the MSM tool and USB cable so u grab it b4 it automatically exits EDL mode if 10 seconds pass and no activity.
The reason I got tired of doing this is that I can't get the button+plugin combo to work consistantly, and `fastboot oem edl` says the command is unknown, so I have to boot to system every time and use `adb reboot edl`. As well, I couldn't get the phone to boot up directly to system after being in EDL mode by pushing or holding the power button (nothing happened), so I had to boot to fastboot, then use its menu to boot to system. Once in a while, the phone would then ask for a code to decrypt storage before booting. Most of this is probably technique. Not super arduous, but I did get tired of doing it.

ToolLog.txt said:
IA V1.0
FCL V1.0

========================================================
MetadataVersion=2,CryptVersion=1,m_bIsPackImage=1
Project Name: 19861
Image Version: hotdogg_13_A.01_210114
Skip SHA256 Check: No
HW CHK: No
RF CHK: No
PRJ CHK: No
MDL CHK: Yes
Tool version verified! (V5.0.17)
project 19861 not support boot mode feature
project 19861 enable fuse
MVL V1.2
[1] dwMajorVersion=6,dwMinorVersion=2,is_win7_system=0
Device Arrival: \\?\USB#VID_05C6&PID_9008#5&86f85b3&0&10#{86e0d1e0-8089-11d0-9ce4-08003e301f73}
[1] Set device as UFS
[1] [CSerialCommHelper] No data in buffer to be sent 0
[1] [SP][193] Check cmd done status failed. 1
[1] [SP][206] Reset Sahara
[1] UFS Inquiry Command Output: SAMSUNG KLUEG8UHDB-C2D1 0400
[1] UFS info Vendor = samsung, TotalLogicalBlocks = 499892224
[1] EmmcSizeInGB = 238.367188, TotalLogicalBlocks = 499892224
[1] Memory size:
[1] HANDSET_TYPE_256G:
[1] [CSerialCommHelper]ReadFile Failed for Read, errno=(31)Device Remove: \\?\USB#VID_05C6&PID_9008#5&86f85b3&0&10#{86e0d1e0-8089-11d0-9ce4-08003e301f73}

I'll be getting back to the Windows computer either today or tomorrow. Then I'll try your suggestions and edit this post.

starcms

The reason I got tired of doing this is that I can't get the button+plugin combo to work consistantly, and `fastboot oem edl` says the command is unknown, so I have to boot to system every time and use `adb reboot edl`. As well, I couldn't get the phone to boot up directly to system after being in EDL mode by pushing or holding the power button (nothing happened), so I had to boot to fastboot, then use its menu to boot to system. Once in a while, the phone would then ask for a code to decrypt storage before booting. Most of this is probably technique. Not super arduous, but I did get tired of doing it.
The button combo works perfectly when following the rest of instructions for getting into EDL, such as when to plug in the USB cable and making sure you issue a command from the MSM tool within 10 seconds or it'll automatically exit EDL mode.

You have an extremely old version of fastboot and adb installed. That's why it says command unknown. The version you have installed should not be used with this phone. Download the latest from here and simply unzip and replace files in your current adb/fastboot directory:

To get out of EDL mode and boot into Android, simply hold vol+,vol-, and power for 10 seconds until you see the splash screen and then let go.

And when it was asking for a code to decrypt storage, you must have been accidentally pressing the key combo for booting into recovery mode.

I'll be getting back to the Windows computer either today or tomorrow. Then I'll try your suggestions and edit this post.

Is that log file of the phone simply entering and then exiting EDL mode without issuing any commands from MSM tool? Or is that an actual log file after attempting a backup? To me, it really looks like the former.

If it's from after attempting a backup, looks like you have the wrong drivers installed for EDL mode. Search for instructions and proper EDL drivers for OnePlus devices. That's why it can't pull those last 3 partitions (including persist, although I wouldn't trust any of the backups until made with proper drivers), as you can see it says failed to read (from phone), not failed to write (to C:\). But disabling ESET definitely was a part of the issue, because before then, the MSM tool couldn't write to C:\

If it's actually just from entering EDL mode and not doing anything so it exits EDL automatically after 10 seconds, which is what it looks like, then it's not really saying anything. Still update the drivers first and see. If no luck, then proceed with uninstalling ESET and rest of instructions already provided.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ntzrmtthihu777 said:
    Ok. I've put together some packages to help people who unlocked their bootloaders
    and got stuck on version 10.0.13, 10.0.14, or 10.0.16, or who unlocked
    (or will unlock) on version 10.0.19 and wish to get whatever the next OTA version is.

reserve.10.0.*.HD61CB.7z has all the files needed to re-insert your reserve.img where
    it should be and correct its permissions. It should allow you to OTA ifyou don't root
    after this (this uses a temporary root), or if you unroot before trying to take it. Pick
    the version that matches whatever version you are currently on.

Files:
    reserve.10.0.13.HD61CB.7z
    SHA256: 047c18bc7cf29aef556ed023a061276ff940201d5184355da977a911ccb43931
    reserve.10.0.16.HD61CB.7z
    SHA256: 0b180e338e889aee149672ba026fb02c16f56d1dfad9351dd9e9f3fabee7d310
    reserve.10.0.19.HD61CB.7z
    SHA256: 34f92a7f114d3bb4dd8e7cf5aee47ad3909f79fa8ccc97fdaa417ef422dc21ed
    reserve.10.0.25.HD61CB.7z
    SHA256: 85157f6f9f386c2d87235762862fbd5c6f844ab9f750fc5637b87a2fc0c25815

Instructions:

0. This script starts at the normal system screen.
    1. Unzip.
    2. If you're on windows, extract the contents of platform-tools_r29.0.5-windows.zip
    into the root of the same folder. If you're on linux, adjust your $PATH variable in shell.
    3. Run fix-reserve.sh or fix-reserve.bat for linux or windows respectively.
    4. Follow the instructions in the prompt. (when it says 'when you're booted' that
    means booted and unlocked (pin, pattern, whatever. userdata needs to be decrypted
    at this point)).
    5. It will reboot you. Magisk manager will still be installed but you will otherwise
    not be rooted. The magisk_patched.img in this folder will root you permanently
    if you would like.
    Hope this helps! This has been tested to work on a device unlocked on 10.0.13,
    and there is little reason to believe it won't work on others. Also, if you use the
    msm tool for these devices, and wish to unlock and continue to get OTA updates,
    you must use this package, as MSM relocks you, and will destroy reserve.img again.

Those of you who have used this, please keep an eye out for updates from TMO
    and report back whether you were able to update.

Confirmed that it works with brand new OTAs. Several members of the TG group
    took the update from 10.0.16 and 10.0.19 without issue after restoring reserve with
    these packages.
    I've posted these in some other threads, but I guess I should post them here as well.

Each ZIP is named according to the build your phone is currently one. For example, if you are on 10.0.31 and want to update to 10.0.35, download the 10.0.31 archive, after which time you should be able to accept the OTA. If you are currently on 10.0.34, download that archive.

10.0.31 - https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=4349826312261762168
    10.0.34 - https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=4349826312261814735
    10.0.35 - https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=4349826312261819229
    For anyone that unlocks their bootloader after the OTA to 10.0.36, here's an updated package to fix future OTAs.

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=8889791610682891398
    There's another update out today, 10.0.25, claiming big 5G improvements.
    Hehe. Anywho, why you askin? you got a 10.0.16?
    Oh yeah, for sure. Don't know why I waited on unlocking and/or updating. Maybe I just never quite found the time? Only thing I got around to doing was getting SIM unlocked.

I'm at work for the next 9 hours, but after that... Well, after that I'm willing to do whatever needs to be done to help out.