• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

HD2 on AT&T

Search This thread

nator76

May 5, 2007
band and locations

question, are there any maps that show which ATT 3g bands are located where? And if i get this correct, 850 3g is the major, predominant band?

Also, if you are in an area that has the 3g band, that the HD2 WONT have, will it automatically default to the 2g EDGE band? Does each 3g tower also have 2g capabilities??

Having reception is crucial for my job, trying to understand this as i plan on getting the HD2. Thanks in advance!

SnooPPP

Jan 23, 2009
Not sure where you can find maps. Anyways, those maps usually give you a really vague description of your coverage. 850mhz is what ATT is supposed to be replacing all the 1900mhz towers with. Although, last time I used the 1900mhz where I'm at I had strong coverage. Haven't tried 850 here though

If you don't have 3G, then yes you will switch to Edge. Edge wasn't bad at all on my Touch HD. Web pages loaded pretty pretty quickly on Opera 9.7 if they didn't have a lot of images to load. I can imagine it's only going to get better on the HD2

mojohio

Aug 5, 2008
Illinois
Some Good News for AT&T users?Today is the Launch of the HD2 by HTC in Taiwan.Maybe have more news for the US.

Can you explain? How could this be good news? How is that related? I'm not trying to be smart, just hoping we can someday in the next few months, be able to put all of the following words in the same sentence: good news, AT&T, US, HTC HD2.

Also, if AT&T signals are not at all related to T-Mobile, how can you explain that in our city, when they just put up new 3G towers for AT&T and I went from 2 bars on Edge to 5 bars of 3G at work, and friends of mine said the EXACT same Edge 2 bars to 3G 5 bars, with their T-Mobile service- how can they not be related?

bugsy

Jun 29, 2005
Can you explain? How could this be good news? How is that related? I'm not trying to be smart, just hoping we can someday in the next few months, be able to put all of the following words in the same sentence: good news, AT&T, US, HTC HD2.

Also, if AT&T signals are not at all related to T-Mobile, how can you explain that in our city, when they just put up new 3G towers for AT&T and I went from 2 bars on Edge to 5 bars of 3G at work, and friends of mine said the EXACT same Edge 2 bars to 3G 5 bars, with their T-Mobile service- how can they not be related?

There are certain markets where ATT and T-Mobile share towers. The San Francisco Bay area was one of those, but there were others as well.

Bakzoom

Jul 23, 2009
I read on wmexperts somewhere that the HD2/Leo has already made its way onto Telstra's website, although I haven't been able to locate it yet...but, if Telstra really IS going to release their own variant of this device, I'd say it'll probably a couple of months after it is released in Europe.

I would like to know when and if it is available for purchase. I did see that one seller in Australia is selling the HD2 but not sure where they are preordering it from. They have a release date of November 11th listed on their auction.

Anyone have any more info about when Telstra would be getting one?

Also, for the other poster who asked about the HTC Touch HD on AT&T's 3G network. I have an HTC Touch HD currently that is Telstra branded and it works perfectly fine on the AT&Ts 3G network here near the Washington DC area. It's not super quick but get's the job done.

Oct 12, 2009
California
No news from Telstra. The Touch HD was released on Telstra's 3G/AT&T network about 3 months after the UK release so I wouldn't expect to hear anything for the HD2 until December. By then, a US release would be imminent (most likely T-Mobile).

jtoyz2

Oct 26, 2007
fingers points to tmobile though leaked docs here and there...but one can always hope it hit ATT...i know for one no matter how great a phone is i cant leave ATT to go to cdma company verizon or sprint or will never go to tmobile their service sucks reception and internet speed wise...if it hits ATT great but we are sure snapdragon is the future and HTC will eventually release a powerful device like Leo down the line maybe by this time next year with a keyboard hahah.

Bakzoom

Jul 23, 2009
CLOVE

I have some quick questions that hopefully will be answered. If I buy the UK one from Clove's site I know that I will not be able to use the 3G in the Washington DC area. I know that I will only have EDGE.

My question is, will anything else on the phone not be available? Will I have any other issues beside just not having 3G?

bersca

Oct 20, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I have some quick questions that hopefully will be answered. If I buy the UK one from Clove's site I know that I will not be able to use the 3G in the Washington DC area. I know that I will only have EDGE.

My question is, will anything else on the phone not be available? Will I have any other issues beside just not having 3G?

3G is the only thing that will be missing. You will be able to use all the phone's features. I think it makes more sense to wait and see if AT&T will release it, and if not, go with Telstra. You will be paying a higher price to import it from Europe and you won't have 3G.

PiSigma

Nov 15, 2008
North Carolina
I had an interesting phone call today from AT&T Marketing. They called to get feedback on the AT&T Pure I bought recently (and returned for a Tilt 2). I told them several times that they really, really need to pickup the HD2. It probably didn't do much good but at least I feel that I made my opinion known to someone who might pass it on to the right people.

Of course if AT&T hasn't already started the process to get the HD2 we will probably never see it on AT&T.

clubtech

Jun 26, 2007
USA
I had an interesting phone call today from AT&T Marketing. They called to get feedback on the AT&T Pure I bought recently (and returned for a Tilt 2). I told them several times that they really, really need to pickup the HD2. It probably didn't do much good but at least I feel that I made my opinion known to someone who might pass it on to the right people.

Of course if AT&T hasn't already started the process to get the HD2 we will probably never see it on AT&T.

As long as at&t is is in bed with apple...you wont see any high end smartphone on this network (WM or Android).
It took the 8 MONTHS to release the tilt2 since it was announced. they have now finally released it as an obsolete device.
If you are going to see the HD2 on at&t...you can expect a loooong wait.
T-mobile will get it sooner.

poppinpengawen

Mar 30, 2008
As long as at&t is is in bed with apple...you wont see any high end smartphone on this network (WM or Android).
It took the 8 MONTHS to release the tilt2 since it was announced. they have now finally released it as an obsolete device.
If you are going to see the HD2 on at&t...you can expect a loooong wait.
T-mobile will get it sooner.

that's one of the reasons why I hate iPhones. it's Apple's fault that we won't get the HD2 on time, if at all. and besides the fact that they're interfering with what phones come to AT&T, all those damn iPhones are taking up all the network space

Bakzoom

Jul 23, 2009
3G is the only thing that will be missing. You will be able to use all the phone's features. I think it makes more sense to wait and see if AT&T will release it, and if not, go with Telstra. You will be paying a higher price to import it from Europe and you won't have 3G.

Thanks. The thing is I rarely go online with my phone during the day. I have internet at work so if I need anything then I'm good to go and internet at home. So I don't see why I would need 3G. I currently have the T8285 and have 3G on my ATT plan and I never use it. Plus, I'd end up saving $15/month going from the unlimited 3G data plan to the unlimited 2G data plan. I also don't want to wait for Telstra to get one and end up paying around $1K as some people have mentioned.

If the 3G is the only thing I'd be missing then I'm going to order from Clove today. When and if I can get a Telstra one or an ATT one then I will. But people are saying that will be several months from now.

Also, anyone want a T8285...lol. Going to post it on the forum here for sale soon.

Free Man

Nov 3, 2009
I'd like to know if there is any information regarding the Telstra version, or if it is even in the works with their "Next G" 850 freq?

Bakzoom

Jul 23, 2009
I'd like to know if there is any information regarding the Telstra version, or if it is even in the works with their "Next G" 850 freq?

That's the question everyone on this thread, as well as others, wants answered. At this time, there is no word. What I've read is that with the original HD, Telstra had one available about 3 months after it hit the European market. So everyone is assuming that it's going to be the same scenario with the HD2. That being said we're looking at around February 2010 if at all. Also, some people said that the price when the HD came out on Telstra was a couple hundred dollars more than what the European sellers were selling it for. That being said, Telstra will probably sell it for around $1000 US dollars when it first comes out. Again, these are all speculations and no one knows anything at this time.

Another thing I read somewhere was that Telstra already has an HD2 that they are testing on their Next G network. But again, that's just speculation.

I just ordered the one from Clove. Due to ship out to me on the 13th barring any delay. I'll let everyone know how that turns out unless someone else beats me to it.

Last edited: