• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

HDMI Cable quick review

Search This thread

ramerco

Mar 16, 2011
Just received my HDMI cable (http://electroniccrap.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=27)from electronicCrap, it works perfectly. It also works as a DVI cable for connecting to business projectors (without sound of course) with a small adapter such as this: http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimited-ADP-3780-Female-Adapter/dp/B0018QTWH2

Great product if you need to do presentations or anything. Just be aware that most apps are fairly low resolution (ie will look pixelated) even if the tablet is outputting a full 1080p signal.

The only minor issue is the connector to the gTab, which is a bit bulkier than what is pictured on his site. This could be a problem with some cases, but it works well with mine (the FUSE).

Update 7/23:

-Cable works great on 1080p monitors and TVs.
-HW accelerated apps display at much higher resolution. Everything else is 1024x600 with poor (pixelated) scaling.
-Cable may not work on 720p TV's.
-May not display HW acclrrated 1080p properly on 720p TV even if other things work
-Audio is stereo only as far as I and others can tell. Does android as a platform even support 5.1?

Just my two cents since receiving this cable.

I have successfully used the cable on my...720p TV with a Froyo, Gingerbread, and Honeycomb rom...games designed for the tegra chip look great also...Software decoded movies suffer from ... pixelation. I have not been able to determine if the HDMI cable or the tegra chip for that matter can process and pass 5.1 audio channels, but regular stereo audio works...

...some [720p] TVs can handle the 1080p input and scale it down, while others cannot.

Lastly, playing a 1080p movie will not output to a 720p TV. For one reason or another when I played both Divx and H264 in 720p or other lower resolutions it showed up fine on my TV, however both Divx and h264 1080p movies just displayed a blank screen while they played fine on the display on the gtab.

Hope this helps some people...

Last edited:

aasoror

Jun 24, 2008
Kitchener, ON

viskon

May 4, 2011
I got this cable, but it is not working for me. I have a 720p plasma and am wondering if the Gtab output does not work with 720p TVs. I know the Gtab is detecting the HDMI connection because the sound goes off on the Gtab. But on the TV, all I get is a blank screen saying no signal.

roberto188

Aug 28, 2008
Information to add

I have successfully used the cable on my 50 inch Samsung 720p TV with a Froyo, Gingerbread, and Honeycomb rom. Any graphics that are NOT accelerated by the tegra chip looks VERY pixelated, so bad its almost unusable. However watching movies on a Froyo rom using the hardware decoder look VERY NICE! Also games designed for the tegra chip look great also, ie. Riptide rush. Software decoded movies suffer from the same horrible pixelation. I have not been able to determine if the HDMI cable or the tegra chip for that matter can process and pass 5.1 audio channels, but regular stereo audio worked on my TV. If anyone knows if 5.1 channel audio can be passed I'd love to know.

Additionally, I could NOT get the cord to work on my 32 inch Samsung. I think some TVs can handle the 1080p input and scale it down, while others cannot.

Lastly, playing a 1080p movie will not output to a 720p TV. For one reason or another when I played both Divx and H264 in 720p or other lower resolutions it showed up fine on my TV, however both Divx and h264 1080p movies just displayed a blank screen while they played fine on the display on the gtab.

Hope this helps some people and I hope we can get some graphics acceleration for Honeycomb soon...heard someone has a Notion Ink kernel with full graphics acceleration, can that be ported to the gtab?

Reactions: ramerco

ramerco

Mar 16, 2011
updated op. cable works great for me on 1080 screens. yes, 30 is a lot for only hdmi. but it is compact and easy to carry compared to the dock. basically we are paying for the r&d costs. I am just glad this thing exists.

Last edited:

juanaraya92679

Oct 11, 2010
Santa Ana
Does the cable work with honeycomb roms? And does the power have to be plugged in for the cable to work? I'm having no luck with video showing up on my tv with the HDMI cable hooked up. I running gtabcomb atm.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA Premium App

Jetchn

Jul 28, 2011
Does the cable work with honeycomb roms? And does the power have to be plugged in for the cable to work? I'm having no luck with video showing up on my tv with the HDMI cable hooked up. I running gtabcomb atm.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA Premium App

You needn;t plug the power in. Just connect your Gtablet to your TV via HDMI cable. But i don;t know if it is work with Honeycomb roms..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Information to add

I have successfully used the cable on my 50 inch Samsung 720p TV with a Froyo, Gingerbread, and Honeycomb rom. Any graphics that are NOT accelerated by the tegra chip looks VERY pixelated, so bad its almost unusable. However watching movies on a Froyo rom using the hardware decoder look VERY NICE! Also games designed for the tegra chip look great also, ie. Riptide rush. Software decoded movies suffer from the same horrible pixelation. I have not been able to determine if the HDMI cable or the tegra chip for that matter can process and pass 5.1 audio channels, but regular stereo audio worked on my TV. If anyone knows if 5.1 channel audio can be passed I'd love to know.

Additionally, I could NOT get the cord to work on my 32 inch Samsung. I think some TVs can handle the 1080p input and scale it down, while others cannot.

Hope this helps some people and I hope we can get some graphics acceleration for Honeycomb soon...heard someone has a Notion Ink kernel with full graphics acceleration, can that be ported to the gtab?