HDMI out when closed in dock?

Search This thread

lyon21

Feb 27, 2011
Chicago
Does anyone know of a way to keep HDMI output and close the prime in the dock? I want to watch Netflix but I want to close the prime. If you close it while in the dock, even when outputting video through HDMI, it stops the video.

Sent from my ICS lovin 3D!!!
If I've helped you in any way... hit the "Thanks" button.

redpoint13

Jan 23, 2012
It's a legitimate request. My laptop running Windows 7 allows me to disable its display when outputting via HDMI to conserve battery. I don't see why this option can't be included with the Prime.

1) The tablet is not a laptop, it's a tablet.

2) When you lock the tablet, it will no longer display.

3) Closing the tablet in the keyboard auto-locks the tablet (which makes complete sense).

Solutions:

1) Don't fully close the tablet & dock

2) Take the dock off and lay the tablet down so it's flat

nyijedi

Jul 5, 2008
Long Island, NY

3) Closing the tablet in the keyboard auto-locks the tablet (which makes complete sense).

Solutions:

Ummmm, I think you're missing the point.

1) We all know that a tablet is not a laptop.
2) We all know that locking the tablet turns off the display.
3) We all know that closing a docked tablet locks the tablet, and thus, turns off the display.

The point is that there is no reason that Asus can't write their software so that when an HDMI connection is present, the user has an option to disable the display on the tablet.

Your "solutions" don't address an important concern, which is needlessly wasting battery by having tje display on when it's not in use.

redpoint13

Jan 23, 2012

3) We all know that closing a docked tablet locks the tablet, and thus, turns off the display.

The point is that there is no reason that Asus can't write their software so that when an HDMI connection is present, the user has an option to disable the display on the tablet.

Your "solutions" don't address an important concern, which is needlessly wasting battery by having tje display on when it's not in use.

I'm sure ASUS will put this at the top of their list.

Blairware

Nov 12, 2009
Wake Forest, NC
?

What's with the sarcasm? The guy has an absolutely legit concern / feature request. I agree that he is not likely to see it on anything from Asus in the near futures, same as we are not going to get control of dual battery charge/discharge policy, but that does not preclude the fact that his request makes a ton of sense. Why output video to both screen, or rather, why not provide a toggle in software to shut the tablets display?

Granted, when i have an HDMI connection, I am often else enough to an outlet to plug in the charger, but again that's not what the OP is requesting. We could further extend the display life, and reduce heat & wear & tear on the tablet with this VERY basic ability. Just because something is not important to you doesn't make it irrelevant for the rest of us, or for Asus. Fortunately Asus actually DOES listen to their customer base. It's just been hard to notice with all the teething pains the Prime has experienced.

redpoint13

Jan 23, 2012
What's with the sarcasm? The guy has an absolutely legit concern / feature request. I agree that he is not likely to see it on anything from Asus in the near futures, same as we are not going to get control of dual battery charge/discharge policy, but that does not preclude the fact that his request makes a ton of sense. Why output video to both screen, or rather, why not provide a toggle in software to shut the tablets display?

Granted, when i have an HDMI connection, I am often else enough to an outlet to plug in the charger, but again that's not what the OP is requesting. We could further extend the display life, and reduce heat & wear & tear on the tablet with this VERY basic ability. Just because something is not important to you doesn't make it irrelevant for the rest of us, or for Asus. Fortunately Asus actually DOES listen to their customer base. It's just been hard to notice with all the teething pains the Prime has experienced.

1) He asked a question and it was answered

2) He already knows the answer to the questions he continued to ask

3) This isn't the Q&A forum, or the ASUS request forum, etc.

lyon21

Feb 27, 2011
Chicago
this is a good point, because when listening to pandora i can close the dock and the music keeps playing

Absolutely, that is basically what I would like it to do. I don't understand why it is so hard for people to comprehend. Basically, that is all it would do. Especially since the display goes completely black other than the bottom bar when watching Netflix through HDMI.

Hey Mister Moderator! How are you today? I'm glad you can point point me to the Q&A forums. However, the great part is that this is the "General" section. This is a general question that was meant to start a educated conversation. If people can post 8,000 new threads bitching about every little thing that is wrong with the LAUNCH PRIME, I can post a legitimate concern/question/conversation starter. I understand this is a tablet and not a laptop. The feature that I am talking about is also SOFTWARE related not HARDWARE related so the fact is that, on this particular feature, the Prime being a tablet doesn't make a single difference in the world. Also, I know I could plug it in so I don't have to worry about battery life. The fact is, I don't have an open outlet in that spot. Not to mention the fact that, as someone else stated previously, it would cut down on display usage and therefore reduce screen time, heat and just overall wear on the LCD. Is this too hard for someone people to understand? If you are going to be a D**K about it, don't post here. Go post in one of the 8,000 threads about people having issues with their Prime. Thank you and have a nice day!

I wish there was an "Un-Thanks" button!!! Maybe that can be added?

Last edited:

nyijedi

Jul 5, 2008
Long Island, NY
Absolutely, that is basically what I would like it to do. I don't understand why it is so hard for people to comprehend. Basically, that is all it would do. Especially since the display goes completely black other than the bottom bar when watching Netflix through HDMI.

Hey Mister Moderator! How are you today? I'm glad you can point point me to the Q&A forums. However, the great part is that this is the "General" section. This is a general question that was meant to start a educated conversation. If people can post 8,000 new threads bitching about every little thing that is wrong with the LAUNCH PRIME, I can post a legitimate concern/question/conversation starter. I understand this is a tablet and not a laptop. The feature that I am talking about is also SOFTWARE related not HARDWARE related so the fact is that, on this particular feature, the Prime being a tablet doesn't make a single difference in the world. Also, I know I could plug it in so I don't have to worry about battery life. The fact is, I don't have an open outlet in that spot. Not to mention the fact that, as someone else stated previously, it would cut down on display usage and therefore reduce screen time, heat and just overall wear on the LCD. Is this too hard for someone people to understand? If you are going to be a D**K about it, don't post here. Go post in one of the 8,000 threads about people having issues with their Prime. Thank you and have a nice day!

I'd also "unthanks" redpoint13 if given the option. I don't know what his problem is.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium

lyon21

Feb 27, 2011
Chicago
I'd also "unthanks" redpoint13 if given the option. I don't know what his problem is.

I think we should have a "Troll Meter" just like the "Thanks Meter"! We could have people press the "Troll" button and then if someone disagrees that the person is a troll, they can press the "Not a Troll" button. Then, after so many " Troll" votes, you get some kind of warning/infraction. However, we would probably have to give infractions to people who abuse the "Troll" button as well.

Note: I am not purely against trolls because some of them make me laugh my @$$ off. The "Troll" button could be for the douchebags that aren't even funny.

Reactions: kdn102

compuw22c

Dec 26, 2007
Chicago, IL

Regarding saving battery, you can't CLOSE the lid however you CAN use bsplayer and move the brightness slider down to 0 turning the backlight completely OFF. Another peculiarity I noticed is that if you turn it up to 100% in bsplayer, regardless of whether super ips + is on or off, it sets it to a brightness setting of 100%+superips+. Personally I'd rather have the system like that where "super ips +" is just a continuation of the slider. Oh well, I love it anyways :)

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

redpoint13

Jan 23, 2012

Once again you are answering all your own questions.

Secondly, since it doesn't matter that it's a tablet, please post which tablets you are aware of that let you run HDMI after locking the screen.

lyon21

Feb 27, 2011
Chicago
Once again you are answering all your own questions.

Secondly, since it doesn't matter that it's a tablet, please post which tablets you are aware of that let you run HDMI after locking the screen.

Please tell me which tablets can also sit in a dock like the Prime, other than the og transformer, and has HDMI out. I mean, come on, its not like it would be a dumb feature or something. The Prime know when its docked and when HDMI is connected. It shows both in the bottom right corner. Why would you want to leave it open and have the screen on when you won't even be looking at it and nothing will be displaying except a black lit screen ? Not to mention, I have fallen asleep with it there and I have cats who like to walk around by the TV. It would be a little safer. Don't ya think? Or is that too hard to comprehend as well? It seems that your are the only one who can't get the idea.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ?

Solutions:

this is a good point, because when listening to pandora i can close the dock and the music keeps playing

This is really similar to asking if you can keep watching netflix after pressing the lock button on your tablet.

It's a legitimate request. My laptop running Windows 7 allows me to disable its display when outputting via HDMI to conserve battery. I don't see why this option can't be included with the Prime.
    I have both an Archos 80 G9 and a Prime. When using HDMI out on the Archos you can push the power button to turn the screen off and the HDMI output continues playing with the screen off.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone