HDMI Output Discovery!

Search This thread

pyun

Oct 5, 2009
As many know, the HDMI output for the EVO currently only seems to work with the Gallery and youtube apps. I just happened to find out that The Mother TED app on the market also outputs through the HDMI connection. I have noticed though that video's aren't scaled to 720p as I was assuming they would be, so outputting seems to be kind of hit-or-miss with anything less than 720p native resolution, depending on the TV you're using. So, I'm thinking that any app that uses the android streaming player to play .mp4 will output to HDMI, in addition to the other known apps.

rdude

Oct 24, 2006
Seattle
twitter.com
Yeah, this was covered in the Sprint dev guide. Any VideoView in any app will be redirected to HDMI when it is plugged in, unless the app asserts a permission to explicitly block this.

As for how things are scaled, it's determined based on the native resolution and what the TV supports. Here is the chart of what maps to what:
https://docs.google.com/View?id=dhtsnvs6_57d2hpqtgr#4_3_How_HTC_EVO_Projects_Video

pyun

Oct 5, 2009
Interesting. Haven't thought of looking through any of the dev documents. Though after looking through it, it would definitely be nice if they would implement some kind of advanced settings panel to control the output resolution regardless of the played video's resolution. For me, half of the videos that I've tried to output through HDMI give me a "mode not supported" error. I'm assuming from the automatic scaling.

-------------------------------------
Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk