Hdmi screen mirroring via usb cable not working

Search This thread

njay22

Aug 11, 2006
Helped a friend buy this. We were watching movies via wireless screen sharing (miracast) and it was OK but kept stuttering and dropping WiFi.

So I suggested getting an hdmi usb-c cable with power charging (4k). I was very surprised when it didn't work! Tried everything including downloading dex to the phone.

Connected the same cable to my s8 plus and it worked beautifully (dex) !

So why not the Samsung a50? Never experienced this on any phone before and have been connecting to TV this way for 10 years.

Need a different /special cable? Or no go on this device and can only do via wireless?

Thx

t3chg33k

Jan 6, 2011
I haven't ever used HDMI mirroring on a phone but as far as my knowledge of Type-C goes, you need USB 3.1 to support all the alternate modes including HDMI and DisplayPort. The A50 comes with USB 2.0, so there is no possibility of getting Display-Out from the USB port.

Reactions: njay22
Jan 18, 2016
I haven't ever used HDMI mirroring on a phone but as far as my knowledge of Type-C goes, you need USB 3.1 to support all the alternate modes including HDMI and DisplayPort. The A50 comes with USB 2.0, so there is no possibility of getting Display-Out from the USB port.

thanks for that explanation, I'm guessing this the same reason we can't use type c 3.5mm jacks?
by that respect, pretty much any type c 3.1 can output through hdmi?

Thanks,
Scott

t3chg33k

Jan 6, 2011
Type-C as a standard is a mess. I don't think you are required to support alternate modes in USB 3.1, so I suppose there are USB 3.1 Type-C devices that still don't output video.

Regarding audio, there is Audio Accessory Mode for Type-C and the concept of active and passive headphones/dongles, so not all dongles will work.

sutton0028

Jan 11, 2011
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2
samsung A50 simply doesnt support dex. only s8 s9 s10 and Note 8 9 10.

getting usb c to hdmi wouldnt solve your problem.

there is how ever one possible solution, which is the universal android usb to hdmi cable. it uses ezcast app (same app for wireless). mirroring your phone but wont display netflix etc on your tv.

Daikini Crossroads

Feb 24, 2020
Samsung A20

So, I know that the A-series doesn't support DeX, but I was hopeful that it might still have the capability to project to a lapdock (like the HP Elite X3 or Nexdock 2) via USB-C and display even crudely (so, not the fully optimized DeX-ified desktop mode, but maybe just a mirror?), ideally allowing for keyboard/touchpad input as well. Basically I'm trying to come up with a solution for my mom whose company is phasing out the laptop she's accustomed to working on in favor of these lousy Samsung A20s, which she's gonna have a lot of trouble seeing and interfacing with on such a tiny screen and without a full keyboard (she's in her 60s). The lapdock thing is the only idea I've been able to come up with (though, it sucks that the A20s don't support DeX), but I'm open to any other suggestions if you think the lapdock route is a dead end. Thanks!

samsung A50 simply doesnt support dex. only s8 s9 s10 and Note 8 9 10.

getting usb c to hdmi wouldnt solve your problem.

there is how ever one possible solution, which is the universal android usb to hdmi cable. it uses ezcast app (same app for wireless). mirroring your phone but wont display netflix etc on your tv.

fmarx1

Oct 14, 2017
The A50 doesn't support MHL(display out protocol) at all for some reason, which is quite disappointing. At least wireless display casting works well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.