Question HDR on Mi Pad 5 doesn't work as it should

Search This thread

iJohnny

Jul 27, 2011
Osijek
There is an official channel on Telegram

Xiaomi Pad 5 Series-Global Community

Please join and report all bugs especially HDR, Dolby vision, icon arrangement etc.

Reactions: Atheosun

Ylensa

Sep 30, 2022
How This Xiaomi release an update that ruins the tablet function to play movies? This is an absurd!!! I´ve just bought one of this it came with android 11 miui 13, I don´t know which version it had. But was working ok, mainly on Netflix, Not beeing aware of these issues I had it upgraded for miui 13.1.2, boom can´t watch no more HDR movies on Netflix. Now I have to wait this 168h boollshit to unlock it and downgrade. Xiaomi never more!

Ylensa

Sep 30, 2022
I´ve found a very useful hint now that worked well for me as a temporary solution: As the problem is HDR and Dolby Vision, setting the playback to medium quality on Netflix profile preferences the darkness disapeared and the imagem is good now. While Xiaomi doesn´t fix the latest miui.

ljransom

Sep 17, 2022
I´ve found a very useful hint now that worked well for me as a temporary solution: As the problem is HDR and Dolby Vision, setting the playback to medium quality on Netflix profile preferences the darkness disapeared and the imagem is good now. While Xiaomi doesn´t fix the latest miui.
Wouldn't it better to just add netflix to the video toolbox and select outdoor mode? I find this resolves all dark issues for me on every video application.

Ylensa

Sep 30, 2022
Wouldn't it better to just add netflix to the video toolbox and select outdoor mode? I find this resolves all dark issues for me on every video application.
Hi, the video toolbox didn't worked well for me, it looks like there is a layer of a grey smoke on the screen. Changing the settings on Netflix was much better, the image is normal. The problem is that this new miui update do not support HDR and DV. Changing the settings looks that turn off HDR, no changing in screen resolution. Also it wont affect on movies that are not in HDR, and the brightness control works fine.

ljransom

Sep 17, 2022
Hi, the video toolbox didn't worked well for me, it looks like there is a layer of a grey smoke on the screen. Changing the settings on Netflix was much better, the image is normal. The problem is that this new miui update do not support HDR and DV. Changing the settings looks that turn off HDR, no changing in screen resolution. Also it wont affect on movies that are not in HDR, and the brightness control works fine.
Strange, I don't sees the layer of grey smoke as you put it. I don't use netflix though and still see HDR content using applications such as Disney+

AssumedDiz

May 13, 2013
Here's my experience with this issue so far, european rom (EEA)

13.0.6 A11:

Apps with dolby support: works perfectly, dark scenes very good

Apps with hdr support: have dark scene issues

13.1.2 A12:

Apps with dolby support: think device doesn't support dolby, play in hdr with dark scene issues

So the issue was partially fixed on the last Android 11 update (fixed for apps supporting Dolby Vision only, regular HDR still bugged) And the issue returnted again for all apps after android 12 update, as Dolby Vision feature is now completely missing from the device and only HDR support is detected by streaming apps

I had to downgrade to android 11 for this, I will stick to it until they fix whatever they did.

But at least it's a proof that the issue is indeed a software issue and can be fixed, for people that have been talking about lcd displays and nits without correct understanding of the issue.

Tested apps:
Dolby Vision supported: Netflix and Disney+
HDR only: YouTube and MI Video with local files
I received an update on European rom yesterday, 13.1.3 Android 12

It restored Dolby Vision functionality, now it's on the same state as 13.0.6

Apps with dolby support have no dark scene issues
Apps with regular HDR support still have dark scene issues
Video toolbox effects work on Dolby content but do not work on HDR

Also you can set display color scheme to standard for even better dark scenes on Dolby

Ylensa

Sep 30, 2022

Alsou can set display color scheme to standard for even better dark scenes on DolbyGood

Also you can set display color scheme to standard for even better dark scenes on Dolby
Good to hear that!

theoxarhs

Nov 21, 2012
How did you receive the 13.1.3 upate? OTA?

UPDATE1 => found the link to download it!

Has anyone who is on the 13.1.2 update tried shutdown/reboot and was stuck at boot process (with three dots) and adb catlog complaining about
D audio_hw_utils: audio_extn_utils_open_snd_mixer: retry, retry_num
When not stuck it detects the chipset sound card :
D audio_hw_utils: audio_extn_utils_open_snd_mixer: snd_card_name: sm8150-tavil-snd-card

I hope this is related with the sound issues you mentioned, seems they have messed up sound in 13.1.2 for sure...

UPDATE2 => OTA 13.1.3 arrived today, unfortunately doesn't resolve the issue!!! :( Probably hardware error...

Last edited:

sarang123

Apr 3, 2017
That's not true. I'm on A12/MIUI 13.1.2 Global and still facing issues with HDR, even Dolby Vision has been removed (Picture from Netflix/DAHMER, 100% Brightness).
Latest version Netfix playback specifications

Attachments

• IMG_20221024_213751.jpg
    IMG_20221024_213751.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 131
Sep 24, 2022
Hi guys, I've tried to watch some movies with HDR (1080 and UHD movies) but the image is really really dark even on max brightness level in a dark room; I've tried both Plex and MX Player Pro but still nothing, even the HDR videos on YouTube are very dark.
Also I am sure that the HDR of the video works correctly because on a samsung galaxy s10 it works perfectly and I can see it very well.
Here is a comparison to show you the difference indicatively (S10 VS Mi Pad 5): Imgur Comparisons

Does this happen to you too?

My tablet: International Xiaomi Pad 5 with MIUI 12.5 (12.5.8.0 Stable)
Did you ever find a way around this?

Ylensa

Sep 30, 2022
So it's better to rollback to 13.0.6?
I'm not sure. If you really need HDR, maybe. For me the problem was watching movies on Netflix, but it looks like all HDR movies that was very dark also are in Dolby Vision, wich was fixed on last update. To downgrade is kinda of complicated, you need to get the tablet unlocked by Xiomi, usually takes a week. Then go to all process to reinstall muiu. If you don't really need HDR, which is not much good in this tablet, probably wait for a new update that will fix it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here's my experience with this issue so far, european rom (EEA)

13.0.6 A11:

Apps with dolby support: works perfectly, dark scenes very good

13.1.2 A12:

Apps with dolby support: think device doesn't support dolby, play in hdr with dark scene issues

So the issue was partially fixed on the last Android 11 update (fixed for apps supporting Dolby Vision only, regular HDR still bugged) And the issue returnted again for all apps after android 12 update, as Dolby Vision feature is now completely missing from the device and only HDR support is detected by streaming apps

I had to downgrade to android 11 for this, I will stick to it until they fix whatever they did.

But at least it's a proof that the issue is indeed a software issue and can be fixed, for people that have been talking about lcd displays and nits without correct understanding of the issue.

Tested apps:
    Dolby Vision supported: Netflix and Disney+
    HDR only: YouTube and MI Video with local files

Hi guys, I've tried to watch some movies with HDR (1080 and UHD movies) but the image is really really dark even on max brightness level in a dark room; I've tried both Plex and MX Player Pro but still nothing, even the HDR videos on YouTube are very dark.
    Also I am sure that the HDR of the video works correctly because on a samsung galaxy s10 it works perfectly and I can see it very well.
    Here is a comparison to show you the difference indicatively (S10 VS Mi Pad 5): Imgur Comparisons

Does this happen to you too?

My tablet: International Xiaomi Pad 5 with MIUI 12.5 (12.5.8.0 Stable)
    I also subscribe to this issue, I own the Non-Pro and HDR videos are way too dark, some movies on Netflix are almost impossible to watch despite cracking the brightness up manually (it makes the subtitle too bright compared to actual video).
    I hope Xiaomi will implement a fix in future updates.

Also, when playing Dolby Vision files, the aspect ratio is something bad such as 20:9 (actual videos are played in some ultra-wide aspect ratio), the actual dark frames on top and bottom eat 50% of the vertical space, this is also a bug.
    If I knew the software is that bad I would had gone with Samsung tablet instead.

@OP is not wrong at all, this is a software issue, the screen is bright enough for HDR content but the software is lacking.

Bug has been reported on a lot of forums, including here : https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/rofr22
    The problem is that hdr videos are made for really bright screens (hdr10 1000nits, hdr10+ 4000nits, DV up to 10tsd nits). Now on TVs this is normally not a problem because the TVs know what there max. brightness is and they can adjust the brightness of the movies. The tablet itself does also know the max. brightness but the Netflix or whatever player does not (or at least it does not work). What you can do is, use a player like mpv, and set the target-peak or, which i would not recommend, set the video brightness. Sadly, once again, the users who pay and watch movies legally are the ****ed once.
    Its a night and day difference.
    The problem is that hdr videos are made for really bright screens (hdr10 1000nits, hdr10+ 4000nits, DV up to 10tsd nits).
    By your logic, DV must be completely black but instead, it's the only HDR that works on Pad5.

Also, when playing Dolby Vision files, the aspect ratio is something bad such as 20:9 (actual videos are played in some ultra-wide aspect ratio), the actual dark frames on top and bottom eat 50% of the vertical space, this is also a bug.
    This is a "just player" bug, use mpv.