HDR support

Search This thread

fatbeer

Oct 30, 2011
I ran a 2160p HDR video in VLC with Hardware Acceleration turned off. Not sure if it was HDR but the colours looked good, so probably was. Frame-rate was dismal due to Software Acceleration.

Which brings us back to the Original Poster's question, can HDR playback be switched on via a firmware/kernel?

barth2

Jan 30, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S10+
Enabled video enhancer but on vanced I have VP9 in override codecs section! HDR option still not visible on vanced youtube!
I don't have video enhancer, only vanced. Downloaded the vanced manager from vanced.app and use it to install the correct vanced for my device. Then I followed instructions in OP to enable the hidden option, and chose galaxy s8+.

Now when I play an hdr video in YouTube in landscape maximized, like this one

https://youtu.be/1MieluM0c6c

it kicks into max brightness. The HDR is unmistakeable. But I can confirm with the three dots menu it's indeed HDR. Some videos that are supposed to be HDR just don't trigger HDR at all, or it doesn't cause vanced to kick into max brightness.

As for vlc, I'm not sure if I'm actually getting HDR. With some movies, colors are washed out, so it's clearly handling it wrong. With others, colors look good but maybe it's just SDR, because SDR colors look good too. After all, SDR is what we've had forever. It's not like colors haven't looked good till now. Vlc doesn't give you any diagnostics so it's hard to tell what's going on.

fatbeer

Oct 30, 2011
Just tried Kodi with HW acceleration turned off and a 2160p hdr file. Colours were good and playback frame-rate is better than VLC.

yongzhenkit

Nov 17, 2013
I don't have video enhancer, only vanced. Downloaded the vanced manager from vanced.app and use it to install the correct vanced for my device. Then I followed instructions in OP to enable the hidden option, and chose galaxy s8+.

Now when I play an hdr video in YouTube in landscape maximized, like this one

https://youtu.be/1MieluM0c6c

it kicks into max brightness. The HDR is unmistakeable. But I can confirm with the three dots menu it's indeed HDR. Some videos that are supposed to be HDR just don't trigger HDR at all, or it doesn't cause vanced to kick into max brightness.

As for vlc, I'm not sure if I'm actually getting HDR. With some movies, colors are washed out, so it's clearly handling it wrong. With others, colors look good but maybe it's just SDR, because SDR colors look good too. After all, SDR is what we've had forever. It's not like colors haven't looked good till now. Vlc doesn't give you any diagnostics so it's hard to tell what's going on.

I find it weird. When the HDR profile is set and you play the HDR toggle on vanced, all HDR vids that have blacks in their background are not black but grey-ish, it also seems to be limited to FHD rather than the available 2k res that I see available in the normal YouTube. I'm also not entirely sure the HDR in vanced is displaying HDR even though the toggle says so as when I switch between Vanced and the normal YT app it looks the same when i boost the brightness up for normal YT. When i put it side by side with my s9+ which has HDR by default the colours looks slightly different also.

barth2

Jan 30, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S10+
I find it weird. When the HDR profile is set and you play the HDR toggle on vanced, all HDR vids that have blacks in their background are not black but grey-ish, it also seems to be limited to FHD rather than the available 2k res that I see available in the normal YouTube. I'm also not entirely sure the HDR in vanced is displaying HDR even though the toggle says so as when I switch between Vanced and the normal YT app it looks the same when i boost the brightness up for normal YT. When i put it side by side with my s9+ which has HDR by default the colours looks slightly different also.
Yeah it's all a little suspect. I guess when they say not officially supported, they mean it.

I can't get any sort of HDR outside of YouTube. Oh well. I have real HDR on my TV

yongzhenkit

Nov 17, 2013
Yeah it's all a little suspect. I guess when they say not officially supported, they mean it.

I can't get any sort of HDR outside of YouTube. Oh well. I have real HDR on my TV

Yea its not really useful TBH other than on bigger screens like a TV. I can probably count the number of times in 1 hand the no. of HDR YT vids i watched on my S9+, and its all when i just bought the phone.

Princeland

Feb 28, 2018
I said above that the Video Enhancer option is hidden on Tab S5e by Samsung. We have to unhide it by apps capable to read Android activities, e.g. QuickShortcutMaker...
Just click on the QuickShortcutMaker hyperlink in my post above or here:
https://www.guidingtech.com/69325/samsung-galaxy-s8-video-enhancer/
and you can see how to start this option... (btw, QuickShortcutMaker is an old gold app and already can not create shortcuts on the latest Android versions, but you can launch Video Enhancer option tapping on Try)
Hello, the shortcut to Video enhancer does not appear to me using that app or also through the nova launcher activities, it does not appear. The hdr on Youtube yes I have. Any suggestion? A greeting!

LeGi0NeeR

Apr 4, 2017
Well, the latest version of MPV player for Android (2020-09-04-release) can play fine offline HDR videos on Tab S5e (stock Android 10) with hardware acceleration and rich colors/brightness (bt.2020) up to 4K 30FPS HDR. As regards to 4K 60FPS HDR files, the video playback is OK but some audio stuttering occurs (audio/video desync) and I still can not resolve it by the various MPV Player config options...

Note: use MediaInfo to differentiate between HDR (HDR format = .........; Bit depth = 10 bits) and non-HDR videos

(@Princeland: I can start Video Enhancer by QuickShortcutMaker on my Tab S5e but, in fact, it does nothing, better try MPV player for offline HDR video playback)

cHECKjAM

Aug 28, 2015
Ahh what a disaster.
Bought this pad to use as a media player with lineage. And now cant even play majority of my videos.

Some say to use kodi without hardware acceleration and that will show HDR but videos are so so laggy, like extremly unwatchable.
This is with full 4k HDR files.

If played through vlc or MPV its the same issue although on MPV its not viewable.
And with hardware accel none of them show HDR...

So what now...?

cHECKjAM

Aug 28, 2015
Just tried Kodi with HW acceleration turned off and a 2160p hdr file. Colours were good and playback frame-rate is better than VLC.

How? Please share how you turned of HDR and watched a 2160p HDR file without it stuttering to pieces? Was it a very low bitrate file?
I try with a ripped remux of a 2160p movie and with the 2 options I find for hardweare acceleration turned off it is for sure HDR picture but framerate is horrible and lagging to death.

Well, the latest version of MPV player for Android (2020-09-04-release) can play fine offline HDR videos on Tab S5e (stock Android 10) with hardware acceleration and rich colors/brightness (bt.2020) up to 4K 30FPS HDR. As regards to 4K 60FPS HDR files, the video playback is OK but some audio stuttering occurs (audio/video desync) and I still can not resolve it by the various MPV Player config options...

Note: use MediaInfo to differentiate between HDR (HDR format = .........; Bit depth = 10 bits) and non-HDR videos

(@Princeland: I can start Video Enhancer by QuickShortcutMaker on my Tab S5e but, in fact, it does nothing, better try MPV player for offline HDR video playback)

I tried MPV player and that actually works somewhat. It shows the HDR correct even with hardware decoding. However there are some glitches when you seek around in the movie. But the main problem is the framerate. There is for sure something wrong there.. Im used to Kodi and kodi will adjust framerate for the video/screen I think. It just flows perfectly, but mpv is very inconsistent with the framerate. Something is for sure not right..

Any idea how to fix?

fatbeer

Oct 30, 2011
How? Please share how you turned of HDR and watched a 2160p HDR file without it stuttering to pieces? Was it a very low bitrate file?
I try with a ripped remux of a 2160p movie and with the 2 options I find for hardweare acceleration turned off it is for sure HDR picture but framerate is horrible and lagging to death.
I never said it did not stutter but the colours were correct, so it was either tone mapping or HDR. Just wish there was more than one app that could do it with HW acceleration enabled.
Plex can use tone mapping and transcode a 4k HDR but it's not actual HDR and will buffer ever 10secs or so when streaming on my set-up.

Last edited:

cHECKjAM

Aug 28, 2015
Ok so this is basically dead.. We cant play HDR on this tab correctly then. It's just a normal SDR tablet..

Damn it I wish there was a good tab with real HDR support supported by lineageOS

GΛMΞBØY69

Jun 2, 2021
mpv player indeed supports HDR playback,
Go to settings-> advanced-> edit mpv.conf
contrast=10
brightness=-7
gamma=5
saturation=-20
Copy paste this and hit save.

I didn't face any stuttering or lags while playing a 4k HDR 10bit video under file size of 5gb. I watched blade runner 2049 in 4k HDR with no problems at all. If the file is more than 5gb you may face minute stutter I know thats enough to pull someone out of a movie experience. For that problem I tried changing Developer options-> disable HW overlays turned on.
It helped a bit but still something isn't right.
You can play 1080p HDR files flawlessly in mpv.
Later,
I tried different media players that includes the players mentioned in this forum.

Alternative CnX player (paid)
Before purchasing it I had my doubts if its gonna play HDR or not. So I have managed to download an illigal apk version. Like mpv player this has the option to change brightness, contrast and saturation of a video.
By default it plays the video with washed out colours but you can calibrate the video by changing the saturation, gamma and Contrast options in the settings and plays in SDR.
NO STUTTERING OR LAGS

I know it isn't exactly HDR. My goal is to watch 4k movies in this tab and it's hard to find 4k SDR version of every movie.

Jessie_Etch

Dec 16, 2016
Hello, the shortcut to Video enhancer does not appear to me using that app or also through the nova launcher activities, it does not appear. The hdr on Youtube yes I have. Any suggestion? A greeting!
I also tried QuickShortcutMaker but I haven't found the Video Enhancer option.
Is there any way to activate this option without rooting the device (Magisk) ?
Thanks

LeGi0NeeR

Apr 4, 2017
Well, I have no more problems to play offline 4K HDR 60FPS videos on Galaxy Tab S5e (stock Android 11) with this version of MVP Player for Android:

Download APK file (38 MB):

References:

4K HDR 60FPS video, brightness was set to MAX to enjoy the real benefits of HDR format.
Compare the colors and brightness in MPV Player (left) and Samsung Video Player (right):

Attachments

• MPV.Player.4K.60FPS.HDR.jpg
    MPV.Player.4K.60FPS.HDR.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Samsung.Video.Player.4K.60FPS.HDR.jpg
    Samsung.Video.Player.4K.60FPS.HDR.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 69

GΛMΞBØY69

Jun 2, 2021
Well, I have no more problems to play offline 4K HDR 60FPS videos on Galaxy Tab S5e (stock Android 11) with this version of MVP Player for Android:

Download APK file (38 MB):

References:

4K HDR 60FPS video, brightness was set to MAX to enjoy the real benefits of HDR format.
Compare the colors and brightness in MPV Player (left) and Samsung Video Player (right):
Need help in installing the apk
I downloaded the apk file from the link you mentioned and it's a zip file. When I extract it there are some bunch of files in it but nothing to install. Am I doing it wrong?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't know if the full HDR support can be forcibly activated on Tab S5e, but some things can be done even on stock firmware:

A hidden setting, called Video Enhancer, can be turned on (by QuickShortcutMaker or similar app). It's of great importance to play HDR video online or offline.

The native Samsung Video Player works just fine with downloaded HDR video content (see a HDR label on the video thumbnail/title) as well as MX Player, VLC player, etc.

YouTube Vanced Mod (both for Rooted & Non-Rooted devices) has no problem to play HDR video content in YouTube. (How To: download and install both MicroG & Vanced Apps, give MicroG all Permissions needed, start Yotube Vanced and go to Vanced Settings, tap several times on About to unhide Codec Override menu, and tap on Galaxy S8+ to enable hardware HDR support)

Well, playing HDR video on Tab S5e is just amazing!
    Some notes from my recent observations on the HDR video playback in Tab S5e (Stock Firmware):

1. Tab S5e has a good hardware (SOC - SD670; GPU - Adreno 615; Super AMOLED Display) capable to play HDR video without problems. Playing the 1080p 60FPS HDR or 2160p 60FPS streaming videos by Modded YouTube Vanced just proves that.

2. But, there is a real problem for local HDR video playback with hardware support - the colors are slightly pale and washed as regards the same video played by YouTube Vanced or in other premium SAMSUNG devices. No matter which video player is used, no matter if Video Enhancer is on or off, the colors are washed... I tested almost all known video players for Android and all they show washed colors because all they rely on the native hardware support in the related devices.
    - So, it seems that SAMSUNG has stripped the hardware support of 10-bit pipelines in the Tab S5e video codecs. Obviously, this is intentionally done by SAMSUNG (to sell much more expensive Tab S6?!) and can be easily corrected with a software update... But, at the moment, we can not play locally hardware accelerated video with rich HDR colors!

3. But, we have a little surprise: the SAMSUNG's competitive HDR format - Dolby Vision, plays on Tab S5e just fine in all glorious colors and hardware support even by the native SAMSUNG video player!

4. I tested on Tab S5e several dozens of 4K HDR & Dolby Vision videos/movies flying in the Net... The only video player that played all of them in their native resolution without lags, freezing, black screen, audio only, etc. (i.e. with good hardware acceleration), was nPlayer! All others couldn't handle with various video formats/codecs and especially with most of the Dolby Vision videos. nPlayer is amazing but... the colors of HDR videos on Tab S5e are still washed...

5. So, how to play offline HDR videos on Tab S5e with native rich colors?
    It seems that only VLC player for Android can do that at the moment with the following limitations:
    - Video Quality: up to 1080p 60FPS HDR (yes, the same limitations as in YouTube for mobile devices!)
    - Hardware Acceleration: Disabled (i.e. without hardware GPU acceleration giving washed colors on Tab S5e)
    - Recommended: Force video chroma - RGB 16-bit; Deblocking Filter Settings - No Deblocking; Frame Skip - Checked; Optimize Battery Usage for VLC - Not Optimized
    (VLC can play videos with upper resolutions, e.g. 1440p 60 FPS HDR and up, but don't cry if video lags...)

6. Most of the videos/movies in the Net are 4k 60FPS HDR, so we have to downscale them to 1080p 60FPS HDR to watch normal rich colors on Tab S5e.
    I personally use VidCoder to downscale the originals to 1080p 60FPS HDR. A good preset, for example, is [Vimeo YouTube HQ 1080p60] with video codec - H.265 10-bit (x265). It's important to use 10-bit codecs otherwise, the video output will not be of HDR quality! You will be really surprised to see the file size difference between the input and output video...

See the difference between the colors of one and the same hardware accelerated (washed) and software decoded (rich) HDR video by VLC on the attached shots below:
    where do you find the Video Enhancer toggle on the tablet?

I said above that the Video Enhancer option is hidden on Tab S5e by Samsung. We have to unhide it by apps capable to read Android activities, e.g. QuickShortcutMaker...
    Just click on the QuickShortcutMaker hyperlink in my post above or here:
    https://www.guidingtech.com/69325/samsung-galaxy-s8-video-enhancer/
    and you can see how to start this option... (btw, QuickShortcutMaker is an old gold app and already can not create shortcuts on the latest Android versions, but you can launch Video Enhancer option tapping on Try)
    Yes, all 4 codecs in Vanced Override Menu support max resolution of 4K (2160p) 60FPS. 2 of them support (hardware/software) HDR video playing - up to FHD (1080p) 60FPS HDR. It seems that 1080p60 HDR is a Google limitation for mobile devices.
    The good news is that Tab S5e handles YouTube streaming video perfectly in all resolutions, FPS and codecs, and the picture quality is just amazing!
    Enabled video enhancer but on vanced I have VP9 in override codecs section! HDR option still not visible on vanced youtube!
    It was already mentioned in my earlier post:
    go to Vanced Settings, tap several times on About to unhide Codec Override menu, and tap on Galaxy S8+ to enable hardware HDR support