Head units with android USB Audio!

Search This thread

s2g-unit

Account currently disabled
Jan 13, 2015
Usa
cutt.ly
sounds good :)

Just note the problems i had were occurring when i connected to a AOA 2.0 compatible head unit only via USB (USB A to micro USB).
Not with USB OTG or a USB hub. :) Idk if it works that way, but let me know :)

Haven't gone to check out the headunits. I'm most likely going with a Pioneer DEH80prs. I'm curious if anybody else has tested these headunits?

ibCurlyFry

Oct 1, 2011
Haven't gone to check out the headunits. I'm most likely going with a Pioneer DEH80prs. I'm curious if anybody else has tested these headunits?

Just an update.
I purchased the highly rated Dragonfly v1.2 USB DAC and hooked it up to my system with my android phone, although the sound quality was definitely top noch, the overall power just wasn't there. Everything dropped several decibels and it just felt lackluster. Even though theoretically the auxiliary cord in the setup is not supposed to hinder the system, I am positive it is the culprit. I tried MANY many different things such as adjusting EQs, gains, filters, passes, and various software on my android phone such as viper, and nothing got the system to the raw power that it use to have with a usb connection.

There is no doubt in my mind a USB connection is absolutely necessary, and unfortunately the easiest way to get it with apps is an apple device.

All that being said, I could notice a difference in clarity with the Dragonfly because it had a superior DAC than my cheap headunit. If you have the funds i agree with your decision, and you should go with the DEH80prs simply because it has some of the best internal specs including a fantastic DAC which i believe is most important. If i had the funds i would do the same. Just be sure to use USB! or CDs haha :)

s2g-unit

Account currently disabled
Jan 13, 2015
Usa
cutt.ly
****update****
I'm using:
Deh80-prs
Kicker KX650.4
Hertz Es250 10" woofer
CDT ES-62i
Nexus 7 2013 connected USB Sabre U2 DAC then onto AUX on the DEH80PRS
Viper4Android

The Ipod sounds AMAZING with lossless files, crystal clear with proper tight bass but from the N7 it sounds dull, no bass & there's a slight hiss.

I've tried playing with Viper4android turned off but then the volume is WAY too low. If I use Viper4android I can boost the output gain & use other settings for more volume. Doing that I can hear the music but it needs to be near max volume to compare to the ipod at half that volume.

What do you guys think?
Should i start looking into testing AOA 2.0 headunits again?

****Update****
LOL

I forgot I had media volume control (GPS based) still on.

I turned that off & turned off all audio boosting / gain in viper4android & it's perfect now.

Last edited:

emarciniak

Jul 15, 2011
Vancouver
ibCurlyFry said:

I picked up a new Pioneer MVH-X380BT off ebay for $50 usd. With a Nexus 5 with stock rooted Marshmallow the usb audio works perfect. No weird clicking or pauses at all. The only thing that sucks is that the head unit pushes out less power than the Pioneer DEH-P400UB it replaced. The volume on both decks goes to 62 and with my ipod classic over usb I could usually get it about 45-50 on the old one before it started to distort and clip and the new one goes to like 38-43.

ibCurlyFry

Oct 1, 2011
I picked up a new Pioneer MVH-X380BT off ebay for $50 usd. With a Nexus 5 with stock rooted Marshmallow the usb audio works perfect. No weird clicking or pauses at all. The only thing that sucks is that the head unit pushes out less power than the Pioneer DEH-P400UB it replaced. The volume on both decks goes to 62 and with my ipod classic over usb I could usually get it about 45-50 on the old one before it started to distort and clip and the new one goes to like 38-43.
Interesting, did u try playing a low frequency tone for a minute or so? Like 200hz
And that's unfortunate about the output.

paul96

Aug 21, 2010
XDA
I'm planning on getting a Pioneer MVH-X380BT is a couple months, and want to use AOA and rapid charge at the same time. Is it possible to do this (Nexus 5X)?

hdavid185

Jun 12, 2016
Hi everyone im glad to see a thread about this little precious thing, i own a kenwood kdc-x500, at first worked perfectly with my old galaxy s5, then updated to a mate 8 and it sucked, audio out worked one of twenty something times, once again updated to an HTC 10 and it doesn't even recognise nothing, same With LG g5, and nothing seems to work with these flagships I'm thinking to buy a pioneer deh-x8800bhs to try the connection but I'm afraid that it won't work neither, I'm thinking is a marshmallow thing or the USB C I'm going crazy right now, if someone have feedback about these phones or hu's I'll be forever in your debt.

silvertriclops

Jun 1, 2016
I just purchased 3 headunits With aoa, one of them With aptx.
Kennwood bt45u, x5000bt and Pioneer deh-4800bt. I hope i dont get any Clicks..

I try all 3, the Best i Take.

I found a DEH-X4800BT on letgo that I want to buy but now I'm worried about the clicks. Did you ever get around to testing it? I have an LG G3 with Fulmics 6.1 (marshmallow) if that matters.

rockyy

I found a DEH-X4800BT on letgo that I want to buy but now I'm worried about the clicks. Did you ever get around to testing it? I have an LG G3 with Fulmics 6.1 (marshmallow) if that matters.

Hi. I sent all radios back.
I cant tell you anymore which radio had the most problems. 1 Radio doesnt got a BT connection with audio (my phone was connected but no sound)
the other one had no vocals. it seems it only streamed bass -.-
the 3. worked. but there was also a problem. i tried to live with it. but after 3 days i decided to sent them all back :)

i bought the alpine ute-92BT. i have no problems. the only negative is (USB the music isnt sorted from a-z its sorted for the date you copied it on the stick) - i only use bluetooth and 1h youtube mixes. i dont care about a-z :) i also can stop/play/skip from the radio. And it has Digital time correction. :)

tmuka

Oct 25, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks for sharing in this thread, it's shockingly hard to find information and discussion on the topic. I've been using a standalone usb dac with my Nexus 6 in my car (into a mini DSP 6x8). I'm helping a friend plan a system based around a nexus 7 as the hu. I was hoping an Alpine UTE-62BT would function the same as my standalone usb dac with the addition of media transport controls and 4v preamp outputs. It would be great to have the time alignment and eq controls vs direct from the dac to the amp. If aoa is really deprecated maybe I'll have to consider an ipad mini instead of nexus 7 for reliable integration...

Reactions: frankmehta

mihkell

Dec 22, 2014
Has anyone had any success with USB OTG + HUB connection to a head unit? This problem seems to have been discussed here before but with no result.

What I'm thinking about is Nexus 7 > OTG > USB hub > Pioneer DEH-x5900BT.

Connected the whole thing up the way stated before without any medieval trickery but without any success... No connection what so ever. Connecting only the hub to the HU with a thumb stick gives an error (HU does not support hubs)

andxit

Oct 22, 2014
Naples
Why every world cars has ipod ready and no one Android USB plug and play ?
I don't understand...there's a reasonable answer ?

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited:

modream

Oct 27, 2006
Bucharest
The units with Intel Sophia chipsets (Joying) have the same problem with USB audio ? i.e. no audio from BT (phone) and radio through USB ?

DJ 1

Aug 10, 2010
Hi, I'm looking at maybe getting a Pioneer deh x8700dab
I like this unit over for example the deh x7800dab
For 1-the display, 2-the rear usb keeps it nice n tidy...

When, for example the deh x8700dab Android details are stating 'app control for usb'... I'm assuming this is just mtp? Not a.o.a v2
Ultimately it needs to launch n control any music app on the phone via USB, not Bluetooth.

Does 8700dab do this?

Thanks.
P.s; I have a HTC 10 (stock htc os).

kasetti

May 7, 2018
Any experiences on the clicking issue with newer head units? I found these to with AOA 2.0 support (and rear USB as I prefer the cleaner look) but hesitated on ordering, as I'd need to have them shipped overseas...

- Kenwood KDC-BT568U
- Kenwood KDC-BT768HD

curttard

Mar 28, 2015
I just bought a Kenwood KMM-X503 that supports AOA 2.0 and it doesn't work with either my Samsung S8 or my wife's LG G6 over USB, both on Android 8.0. I've read others complaining that Oreo broke USB audio support on the S8 and possibly other phones. Kenwood tells me it either works or it doesn't so if it doesn't, the phone is not compatible.

Anyone else had any luck with AOA on Oreo with an car stereo?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TL;DR probably All head units with AOA 2.0 support that on the market right now have a clicking/micro pausing problem.

Sorry for a late response, I had to do some research, as explained below.
    Now its time for the good, the bad, and the ugly!

The Good: The head unit preformed as promised, it was simple plug and play to rout all audio from the phone to the car speakers, matching Ipod via USB quality. Spotify, Youtube, Soundcloud, and even Maps navigation all worked.

The Bad: Every 5-30 seconds there is a quick high pitch clicking sound accompanied by a micro pause of the audio of about a quarter of a second. This clicking only happens with a constant audio stream such as a song, not with something brief such as a Maps navigation direction, nor when the phone is plugged in without any audio being streamed. Sometimes I would get lucky and the audio would be perfect for a couple minutes, once even for a couple songs. But when it does happen, the clicking is quite loud and high pitch and with micro pause it is easily noticeable during a normal song. I had 3 friends come listen to my "new setup" to ask them how it sounds, and all 3 of them noticed it. Unacceptable for an audiophile such as myself, so i did some research and conducted some experiments.

The Ugly: I devised a way to easily notice and keep track of the clicks. I played a low constant tone of a 40hz sine wave at high volume which made the abrupt high pitch clicks very loud (and annoying) in contrast to the low constant tone, and it made the micro pauses very obvious due to the interruption of the bass. With my phone I would hear random clicks every 5-30 seconds. I then tested 5 different android phones with various ROMs and about 10 different usb cords and many combinations of them. Clicking was reliably random. I changed kernel settings on some of the phones to see if the cpu performance was effecting it. I tried various apps such as sound about and the pioneer music app. Nothing changed.
    I then went to an electronics store that had 8 head units available in store that supported Android Open Accessory 2.0. all hooked up for listening and ready for testing. There were 3 Pioneers, 2 JVC's, and 3 Kenwoods. ALL of them had the clicking problem. The Pioneers were the worst: the most frequent and loud clicks, followed closely behind by the JVC's. The Kenwoods, had clicks every 30 seconds to 2 minutes, and were about 40% less loud. I suspect that with the Kenwood head unit the average person might not be able to detect the clicking and micro pauses during a normal song, but I know i could in my high end system, especially after all this nonsense i would be passively listening for it.

Conclusion:
    I suspect that there is either a fundamental problem with Android Open Accessory 2.0 that causes the clicking, or the stereo manufacturers are cutting corners somewhere, or maybe some incompatibility issue with the software. I just don't know. I tried to do more research but I have found nothing online about this specific issue.
    I know using straight AUX from the device tremendously reduces sound quality due to the device acting as a crappy DAC, then sending the audio signal through the AUX to the unit.
    But if it goes to a separate DAC then through AUX, i dont know. I would like to find out also :)

I've posted on a few car audio boards. Nobody seems to ask this in the past becasue everybody in the past used ipod via usb. Bluetooth if they dont care about quality.

I think in most cases like you said, the response was negative to using AUX but thats because of the headphone jack / internal DAC as you know.

I'm just curious like you to know how much we would loose by using AUX. Maybe some will say it's because of another D/A conversion but can anybody really tell? I'll wait for some answers.
    Conclusion: I suspect that there is either a fundamental problem with Android Open Accessory 2.0 that causes the clicking, or the stereo manufacturers are cutting corners somewhere, or maybe some incompatibility issue with the software. I just don't know. I tried to do more research but I have found nothing online about this specific issue.

AOA only supports 44.1 KHz sampling rate. Maybe a re-sampling issue.

To test I'd try 44.1 source material on a device that is native 44.1.

Note also that Google considers AOA deprecated and discourages it's further use. Very few people used it so Google may not bother fixing bugs, and it may not be a part of their Compatibility Test Suite..
    With more research i concluded that in the following connection:
    Device > USB OTG > DAC > AUX > Head Unit
    The aux will not effect the sound quality, but this connection will only be on par with USB if the external DAC is capable of grater or equal sound quality of the Head Unit DAC, AND if the AUX cable is of good quality as well.

That being said, i also concluded that depending on the bit rate of the audio, and the quality of your hardware, bluetooth quality might be indistinguishable from USB, especially in the sound environment of a car. But you would have to test that yourself.

I will be going for the external DAC :)
    Thanks for sharing in this thread, it's shockingly hard to find information and discussion on the topic. I've been using a standalone usb dac with my Nexus 6 in my car (into a mini DSP 6x8). I'm helping a friend plan a system based around a nexus 7 as the hu. I was hoping an Alpine UTE-62BT would function the same as my standalone usb dac with the addition of media transport controls and 4v preamp outputs. It would be great to have the time alignment and eq controls vs direct from the dac to the amp. If aoa is really deprecated maybe I'll have to consider an ipad mini instead of nexus 7 for reliable integration...