Headaches or eye strain from 3D?

Search This thread

mikeyxda

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 2, 2010
Florida - Gulf Coast
www.ddisoftware.com
I watched the entire Green Hornet movie in 3D last night and I experienced no eye strain or headaches at all. I never took a break to even pause it: just watched it all the way through. In fact, about 10 minutes into the movie my eyes adjusted to the whole 3D thing and it seemed perfectly natural to watch it that way: not a gimmick. I really enjoyed it and the 3D effect is nearly as good as the plasma/LCD 3D TV's with the active shutter glasses.

Only thing that felt a little strain is my neck because I watched the whole thing while lying on my stomach in the bed, pillow under my chin, with the phone propped up against the headboard. Man I wish they hadn't deleted the kickstand on this phone because I really like the gel case I'm using: don't want to buy a case with a kickstand.

So I'm just curious, am I the only one who has no problem with the 3D (no eye strain)? Are others having problems?

Mike

smarcin

Mar 8, 2008
Minneapolis
Just curious...how far away from your face did you prop your 3vo? Do you wear glasses? If so, are you nearsighted, farsighted and do your glasses correct for astigmatism?

Thanks.

racerbob

Oct 29, 2010
I have a Sony Bravia 55” 3DTV with about 10 movies on Blu Ray in 3D (one of them being The Green Hornet) and have never had any problems having my eyes adjust or with headaches from the 3D. In fact I don’t think I’ve even had a headache period in the past 10 years or so, if not longer. I also have an HP Envy 3D Laptop. I’m extremely nearsighted and need to wear prescription glasses 24/7. I don’t have any problems with the Evo 3D either. I love 3D technology, it’s definitely no gimmick.

CAxVIPER

Jun 21, 2011
I have a Sony Bravia 55” 3DTV with about 10 movies on Blu Ray in 3D (one of them being The Green Hornet) and have never had any problems having my eyes adjust or with headaches from the 3D. In fact I don’t think I’ve even had a headache period in the past 10 years or so, if not longer. I also have an HP Envy 3D Laptop. I’m extremely nearsighted and need to wear prescription glasses 24/7. I don’t have any problems with the Evo 3D either. I love 3D technology, it’s definitely no gimmick.

But I'm guessing the TV and laptop still require glasses right? If so that would be why, it doesn't put the same strain on your eyes as no glasses 3d.

treckin

Aug 20, 2008
I have played spiderman 3d for about an hour and a half to two hours, no ill effects except I didn't get laid during that stretch of 3vo gaming...

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA App

NoSoMo

Sep 26, 2009
Treasure Island, FL
It's not how well you perceive objects at a given distance. So if you're 20/20 20/15, that's not the issue. The issue stems from one eye being more dominant than the other. There are several test online that will help you determine where the issue is.

holland7

Jul 15, 2010
Nah except for that ridiculous Spiderman game I've been good to go. I've been watching downloaded movies all day without a problem. My gf can't look at the screen for more than 30 seconds without looking like she has an aneurism though so I guess it's kind of subjective. Hopefully you'll get used to it soon enough

Sent from my 3VO

mikeyxda

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 2, 2010
Florida - Gulf Coast
www.ddisoftware.com
Just curious...how far away from your face did you prop your 3vo? Do you wear glasses? If so, are you nearsighted, farsighted and do your glasses correct for astigmatism?

Thanks.

The phone was about 10-12 inches from my face. I don't wear glasses but I do have slight astigmatism that I have glasses for but I rarely wear them. The glasses make things sharper but they're just not worth wearing as the difference isn't huge. I'm 44 (thanks to those of you who thought I was "young"). :)

Mike

-Apollo-

Mar 14, 2010
Tacoma
Well I'm probably older than most in here and I am good to go now. I must admit the first night with the phone watching some of those YouTube vids my eyes were goofy as hell! Yesterday was better. Today...well, it just looks natural. I don't think it's an age thing, lol. Definitely needs a kick-stand, they screwed the pooch on that one!

blix1337

Jul 17, 2007
Chicago
For me, it seems that the switching between 2D and 3D is what gives me a headache. Watching the Green Hornet 3D doesn't give me any eye strains. But when I go through the included 3D pictures, I get strains from the constant switching between 2D and 3D.

Fird

Feb 4, 2010
I can't see it

Don't own the Evo yet, but after viewing a friend's unit I discovered that I ~can't~ see any 3d effect at all, either in the Green Hornet, or in photo view/camera mode (and yes it was in 3d). All I can see is two separate images that flip back and forth like a hologram when I tilt the phone. Tried every distance between 8" and full arm's length (I'm far-sighted so 8" i can't focus).. I don't know whether my eyes are the wrong distance apart or if its because I'm severely right-eye dominant... Sad day because I was planning to buy this phone, but the screen drives me totally nutz in 3d and gives me a headache in normal/2d mode too.

GrimReaper24

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 10, 2011
Don't own the Evo yet, but after viewing a friend's unit I discovered that I ~can't~ see any 3d effect at all, either in the Green Hornet, or in photo view/camera mode (and yes it was in 3d). All I can see is two separate images that flip back and forth like a hologram when I tilt the phone. Tried every distance between 8" and full arm's length (I'm far-sighted so 8" i can't focus).. I don't know whether my eyes are the wrong distance apart or if its because I'm severely right-eye dominant... Sad day because I was planning to buy this phone, but the screen drives me totally nutz in 3d and gives me a headache in normal/2d mode too.

LOL some folks that have a eye problem such as they are far sited or have to use one eye to read and the other to drive don't know what the condition is called can't ever see 3D no depth perception.

LeftysRule22

Jan 24, 2008
No issues here, nearsighted and wear contacts. I've always loved those images that you have to really look at to see though, so maybe that makes a difference :p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I watched the entire Green Hornet movie in 3D last night and I experienced no eye strain or headaches at all. I never took a break to even pause it: just watched it all the way through. In fact, about 10 minutes into the movie my eyes adjusted to the whole 3D thing and it seemed perfectly natural to watch it that way: not a gimmick. I really enjoyed it and the 3D effect is nearly as good as the plasma/LCD 3D TV's with the active shutter glasses.

Only thing that felt a little strain is my neck because I watched the whole thing while lying on my stomach in the bed, pillow under my chin, with the phone propped up against the headboard. Man I wish they hadn't deleted the kickstand on this phone because I really like the gel case I'm using: don't want to buy a case with a kickstand.

So I'm just curious, am I the only one who has no problem with the 3D (no eye strain)? Are others having problems?

Mike
    You guys must have bad eyes. You're posting in a thread that's over a year old.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2