Headaches or eye strain from 3D?

Search This thread

smarcin

Mar 8, 2008
Minneapolis
I was just curious if there might be any correlation between headaches and wearing glasses or contacts. Also nearsightedness or farsightedness. I seem to be doing ok, no headaches, though it takes me a little while to focus. I'm nearsighted, and take my glasses off to read. I watch my phone in 3d without glasses, too. Mike, I'm a little older than you. A lady never tells her real age. :D

HammDroid

Jan 15, 2011
Kansas City
From what I can tell, for me, it depends on the video's parallex alignment of the side by side. Some video's have them seperated more, and it seems like that adds a bit to the 'pop out' effect, maybe a little to the depth, but greatly increases my eye strain and gives me a headache. Also, I've been working on some 2d>3d conversions, and the ones that are converted with the 'gap' between the side by sides seem not to display as well.

Anyone else experience this too?

Phreddo

Apr 1, 2008
Madison, wi
OnePlus 8T
I think i need a break-in period. I thought i had to be real specific with the 3D ie distance and angle, but i find that i can watch it just fine at arm's length without straining to focus. I was treating it like a magic eye, and i think i was holding it too close. if you can do it without fighting it i think it's not bad at all.

mikeyxda

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 2, 2010
Florida - Gulf Coast
www.ddisoftware.com
From what I can tell, for me, it depends on the video's parallex alignment of the side by side. Some video's have them seperated more, and it seems like that adds a bit to the 'pop out' effect, maybe a little to the depth, but greatly increases my eye strain and gives me a headache. Also, I've been working on some 2d>3d conversions, and the ones that are converted with the 'gap' between the side by sides seem not to display as well.

Anyone else experience this too?

This is the key. People who have slight parallax errors with their eyes will not be able to see 3D. By that I mean... if you're cross-eyed or have a "lazy eye", forget about it. :) Not trying to be mean: it's just a fact. A lady friend of mine where I used to work had that problem. Her eyes diverged just enough that if you looked at her eyes you could just barely tell that they weren't aligned straight. Back then was when those random stereograms were popular (pictures you had to stare through to see a 3D picture). She couldn't see them at all due to the slight eye alignment problem. Same deal here.

Mike

efan3719

Jul 18, 2010
Selah, WA
I can view the 3D with no problems. And I have a case that has a kick stand. Picture are fine. And I watched the green hornet movie when I first got my phone no problem. I wear glasses and have an astigmatism.

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

kwaze

Jun 21, 2010
old thread, but still relevant

I'm bumping this old thread because I'm interested in what people have to say about 3D and their devices - phones, TVs, etc. I'm an eye doc and I'd be happy to answer any questions about problems seeing the 3D. PM me.

AGoogleUser

Dec 14, 2012
Harmony
I never experience headaches or anything from the 3d. I watch 3d movies and tv shows a lot on my phone and I'd say its great!

Sent from my PG86100 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I watched the entire Green Hornet movie in 3D last night and I experienced no eye strain or headaches at all. I never took a break to even pause it: just watched it all the way through. In fact, about 10 minutes into the movie my eyes adjusted to the whole 3D thing and it seemed perfectly natural to watch it that way: not a gimmick. I really enjoyed it and the 3D effect is nearly as good as the plasma/LCD 3D TV's with the active shutter glasses.

Only thing that felt a little strain is my neck because I watched the whole thing while lying on my stomach in the bed, pillow under my chin, with the phone propped up against the headboard. Man I wish they hadn't deleted the kickstand on this phone because I really like the gel case I'm using: don't want to buy a case with a kickstand.

So I'm just curious, am I the only one who has no problem with the 3D (no eye strain)? Are others having problems?

Mike
    You guys must have bad eyes. You're posting in a thread that's over a year old.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2