[Headset][Challenge][TIP] BEST headset / earphone / headphone up to €50 MAX.

vantt1

Dec 23, 2011
Oh yes I forgot to mention that the Duracells are an optional purchase that you need to request. They're like $2 USD on top and you have to ask them to include it, or else the headphones don't come with any batteries by default. It shouldn't be much of a problem if you're buying it for yourself.

Reactions: parusia

planetbeen

Oct 13, 2011
Virginia Beach
I've been following this thread and I have a sort if related question.

I too am a little hesitant to use my credit card for these purchases which is why I haven't gotten any of these great deals.. Here's my question. .
What about a pre paid credit card? Any reason I couldn't use one of those? I could pick one up and load it up and use it just for this. It's an extra step but I wouldn't mind of it gives me peace of mind.

So, can you guys think of any reason someone couldn't use one?

Sent From My Ginormous Note 2

vantt1

Dec 23, 2011
I think it should be fine, since prepaid credit cards work everywhere that a normal card does.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

BratPAQ

Sep 21, 2008
Velo City
Have you guys tried Superlux headphones? It's a cheap alternative to audio technica and AKG.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002GHIPYI/ref=pd_aw_sims_3?pi=SY115

For earphones, you won't go wrong with Soundmagic, check out their bang for the buck PL11, you would find it hard to look for another one at the same price with better sound.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0044X6T5E

I suggest you see their reviews at head-fi.org to see how audiophiles rave about them.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/597603/soundmagic-pl11-review

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: vantt1

vantt1

Dec 23, 2011
I wonder when will they start making replicas of the 2013/updated version Beats Studio
There will be some around before Christmas this year.

Have you guys tried Superlux headphones? It's a cheap alternative to audio technica and AKG.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002GHIPYI/ref=pd_aw_sims_3?pi=SY115

For earphones, you won't go wrong with Soundmagic, check out their bang for the buck PL11, you would find it hard to look for another one at the same price with better sound.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0044X6T5E

I suggest you see their reviews at head-fi.org to see how audiophiles rave about them.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/597603/soundmagic-pl11-review

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
The Superlux seems like a cheaper (lookalike?) alternative to the AKG K240's. From reviews, it seems that it is excellent bang for buck and accurately reproduces audio, but falls a bit behind in terms of build quality. They remind me of the AKG K701's as well.

Anyway I found a picture of the replica vs. real speaker drivers:

Last edited:
Reactions: betoNL

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
@vantt1: Got my Syllables today. Looks authentic "beats", very high quality built just like you described with yours ;) I will do more testing in the next few days and will take pictures and make a review writeup. But one thing I see an issue with is that red audio only 3.5mm cable works perfectly, but a black one with in-line remote turns the volume off on my Note 2. I mean, you plug it in with a volume set at some level on Note 2, and as soon as I start playing the music - I get a message on a phone warning to turn the volume down because it could be damaging to my ears, and I see volume sliders goes down to 0?!? That is totally bizzare. I override it by raising volume up, it stays up for a few seconds, and slides back down. I tried it with my office mate iPhone and volume is OK. Btw, that in-line remote doesn't have volume control, only mic on one side and flexible panel/button on the other side; the shape of this in-line remote is just a small rectangle box. I have other beat knock off earbuds and their in-line remote had volume up/down and it was nicely rounded off. How does yours look? Can you use it OK with Note 2? I wonder if the one which came with my set of Syllable headphones is specific iPhone one where I did confirm it didn't affect volume on that phone, and single click stop/pause/pickup/hangup and double/triple click skip next/prev tracks. Also, while making phone calls other person heard noise crackle coming from microphone rubbing against my shirt.

Either way, this is not a show stopper for me since I was looking more into sound quality of these rather then phone controls. So far with their included controls, it's only iphone compatible (which is kind of strange because all other headphones I tested designed for iphone worked ok with Note 2). Also, active noise reduction sounds the same as everybody else complaining about original Beats where you just get a white noise hiss, and not much of the actual reduction. But the main big points of very high quality built and very good sound quality (with a very power low end) - that is very impressive so far!

Reactions: vantt1 and betoNL

vantt1

Dec 23, 2011
Hi @vectron, yes my black in-line remote cable is like a black box with a single button in the middle. All it does is playpause music on the Note 2 as well as accept and decline phone calls, but on an iPod or iPhone it has triple click functions as well. It doesn't affect the volume of either an iOS device or and Android. Phone calls are also reasonably clear, but has cable noise if it knocks around so I hold the controller while making calls.

I suspect that your cable has some kind of permanent resistor reading (possibly 461 ohms) between the mic and ground pole (poles 1 and 2 in diagram below), causing the volume to automatically decrease.

The black box mic:

This is the newer type of inline controller cable that comes with non-Monster made Beats headphones. It also comes with volume buttons that only work on iPhone and have no effect in Android (like I have mentioned in other threads that I think you have participated in):

We can't wait for your pictures and IC analysis!

---------- Post added at 10:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------

@vantt1: Got my Syllables today. Looks authentic "beats", very high quality built just like you described with yours ;) I will do more testing in the next few days and will take pictures and make a review writeup. But one thing I see an issue with is that red audio only 3.5mm cable works perfectly, but a black one with in-line remote turns the volume off on my Note 2. I mean, you plug it in with a volume set at some level on Note 2, and as soon as I start playing the music - I get a message on a phone warning to turn the volume down because it could be damaging to my ears, and I see volume sliders goes down to 0?!? That is totally bizzare. I override it by raising volume up, it stays up for a few seconds, and slides back down. I tried it with my office mate iPhone and volume is OK. Btw, that in-line remote doesn't have volume control, only mic on one side and flexible panel/button on the other side; the shape of this in-line remote is just a small rectangle box. I have other beat knock off earbuds and their in-line remote had volume up/down and it was nicely rounded off. How does yours look? Can you use it OK with Note 2? I wonder if the one which came with my set of Syllable headphones is specific iPhone one where I did confirm it didn't affect volume on that phone, and single click stop/pause/pickup/hangup and double/triple click skip next/prev tracks. Also, while making phone calls other person heard noise crackle coming from microphone rubbing against my shirt.

Either way, this is not a show stopper for me since I was looking more into sound quality of these rather then phone controls. So far with their included controls, it's only iphone compatible (which is kind of strange because all other headphones I tested designed for iphone worked ok with Note 2). Also, active noise reduction sounds the same as everybody else complaining about original Beats where you just get a white noise hiss, and not much of the actual reduction. But the main big points of very high quality built and very good sound quality (with a very power low end) - that is very impressive so far!
One more thing - since Beats are mostly branding, how is the branding on the Syllables? I'm particularly interested in the headband, the stainless steel brackets on either side of the headband cushion and carry case. Does it use a Syllable equivalent, or is it just blank?

Last edited:
Reactions: betoNL

vantt1

Dec 23, 2011
Here's my custom Sony MDR-zx300. It has the stock Samsung Galaxy S4 cable with fully Note 2 compatible in-line controls. They're definitely cheaper than 50 Euros.

Reactions: vectron

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Do you think it will be possible to adapt Samsung control with "beats" cable that has in-line control? I mean, if you take Samsung headphones (I have a few fake ones) - you already have 3.5mm connector and in-line control, but that control is on a split channel. For "beats" you need to combine it back into 3.5mm connection going to earphone, and I'm not sure if you ever tried to do that? Since I definitely can't get to work my Syllable control (everything works except volume automatically goes down to 0), I will take it apart anyway to see resistors inside and/or maybe re-use it's 3.5mm connector/cable to splice with Samsung cable, but since I never looked into that before I'm not sure how they handling splitting/combing back L/R channels.

Btw, thanks for PM. I will definitely check it out!

vantt1

Dec 23, 2011
It should be possible, but I have dismissed the idea because it isn't practical for a Y-cable to be used as a straight cable. The left cable would either go on top or under the controller, which means it will either cover the microphone or the buttons. Installing the controller into one of those Beats cables with volume controls won't work either, because of the different button orientation. I've tried looking into putting resistors into the existing buttons, but the buttons are far too small to fit any.