• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Heat

Search This thread

Arcide

Nov 20, 2011
Sarajevo
Realme X2 Pro
I'm just wondering if any of you who complain about the phone being too hot actually checked the temperature cpu's at?
Did anyone register it being higher than 70C?
Yes, the phone getting warm is annoying, and perhaps the throttling is annoying as it's set at a low threshold, but for the actual heat - just go back to basic physics and learn about thermal conductivity.
The aluminium has a higher value of conductivity than glass or plastic (like a 100x more), therefore aluminium phones are better at dissipating heat from their body.
On the plus side, this phone is big, and can dissipate even more heat (due to larger surface).
That's why it feels warm in the hand even though the cpu temp is "just" around 60C.
I say "just" because there are a lot of phones that get much hotter.
For instance my old Xperia Z3 occasionally got over 80C , and it didn't feel as hot in the hand as my Nexus 6P (glass vs aluminium).
My point is, don't worry because of the heat, your phone will be fine.
As for the throttling, if you're bothered with it, there's always a software solution for that.

Reactions: hanifh

jochem86

Oct 24, 2013
Amsterdam
I'm just wondering if any of you who complain about the phone being too hot actually checked the temperature cpu's at?
Did anyone register it being higher than 70C?
Yes, the phone getting warm is annoying, and perhaps the throttling is annoying as it's set at a low threshold, but for the actual heat - just go back to basic physics and learn about thermal conductivity.
The aluminium has a higher value of conductivity than glass or plastic (like a 100x more), therefore aluminium phones are better at dissipating heat from their body.
On the plus side, this phone is big, and can dissipate even more heat (due to larger surface).
That's why it feels warm in the hand even though the cpu temp is "just" around 60C.
I say "just" because there are a lot of phones that get much hotter.
For instance my old Xperia Z3 occasionally got over 80C , and it didn't feel as hot in the hand as my Nexus 6P (glass vs aluminium).
My point is, don't worry because of the heat, your phone will be fine.
As for the throttling, if you're bothered with it, there's always a software solution for that.

Thats exactly right, just have the 6p for a week now and before that i had the LG G3 and i can tall you all about heating :D CPU could go up as high as 80 degrees and in normal operating mode around 50-60 degrees. Really annoying, phone got really slow if you were playing a game or just installing a new rom :D with this phone it is so much less.

Reactions: xdamember143

xdamember143

Jan 12, 2015
Thats exactly right, just have the 6p for a week now and before that i had the LG G3 and i can tall you all about heating :D CPU could go up as high as 80 degrees and in normal operating mode around 50-60 degrees. Really annoying, phone got really slow if you were playing a game or just installing a new rom :D with this phone it is so much less.

+1

htc g1

Nov 2, 2013
Beijing
Every time I wake up and stop the alarm, my 6P is even cold. But about 15mins later, it goes warm, and if I watch videos or lives with it, it will become hot within 5mins. S810 is so terrible...... If only it had been equiped with Kirin 950...

pyro2677

Oct 30, 2012
Using Ex Kernel Manager playing Fiend friends for 10 mins will have CPU at 68C and Battery 45+C Yes mine gets REALLY hot sometimes even in my pocket i have pulled my phone out and it was stupid hot and everything ran slow and after a reboot all was good.

dakunclear

Jul 26, 2011
Calgary
For the most part I have issues with heat maybe it's cause I used a LG G4 for 6 months prior which would have 1.5hrs of sot due to the constant 75 degrees of heat it would produce

Sent from my LG-V522 using XDA Free mobile app

JDogg1329

Sep 11, 2011
Melbourne

Same with me, that phone got so hot it was ridiculous, when performing a Nandroid backup I used to take the back cover off but it'd still get up to 80C. The 6P can get warm, usually with heavy use + charging but I haven't had it get hot.

adracore

Feb 15, 2015
I have to say that mines get really hot when playing games or watching videos on youtube but it all started after I installed Nougat :/

Kyo1156

Jan 29, 2017
My Nexus' heat management is ****

Some phones are great to take camping because if you play Asphalt 8 long enough, the back warms up to the ideal temperature that can bake bread. Rate this thread to express the extent to which the Huawei Nexus 6P stays cool under extended heavy use. A higher rating indicates that even when playing strenuous games for long periods of time, the phone doesn't get uncomfortably warm.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

My nexus overheats to ****. If I'm on a skype call, or just playing tap titans, the top of it just below the speaker starts to feel like it's been in the sun while running ****ing asphalt. Don't even get me started on how bad it gets after the first goddamn MINUTE of vr.

I know the 6p is supposed to have great heat management and everyone says theirs does.

Can anyone tell me why it might be that mine is different?? It drives me crazy!!

Arcide

Nov 20, 2011
Sarajevo
Realme X2 Pro
My nexus overheats to ****. If I'm on a skype call, or just playing tap titans, the top of it just below the speaker starts to feel like it's been in the sun while running ****ing asphalt. Don't even get me started on how bad it gets after the first goddamn MINUTE of vr.

I know the 6p is supposed to have great heat management and everyone says theirs does.

Can anyone tell me why it might be that mine is different?? It drives me crazy!!

Dude, this has been talked about a lot.
What you're seeing is actually good heat management, the bad thing would be if you didn't feel anything, it would mean the heat is trapped inside the phone.
However, since the majority if the phone is metal, it conducts heat better away from the internals.
Unless you experience heavy throttling, there's no need for you to worry.

Kyo1156

Jan 29, 2017
Dude, this has been talked about a lot.
What you're seeing is actually good heat management, the bad thing would be if you didn't feel anything, it would mean the heat is trapped inside the phone.
However, since the majority if the phone is metal, it conducts heat better away from the internals.
Unless you experience heavy throttling, there's no need for you to worry.

Well, when I say it happens in just one area, I mean really just one area. All across the width of my phone just below the top speaker is what heats up, no where else except for the mirrored area on the back. Although you may be right that it's directing away from the internals, why would it only go to one VERY specific area? I mean, if I move my hand just less than a centimeter away from this zone I almost can't even detect the heat.

Arcide

Nov 20, 2011
Sarajevo
Realme X2 Pro
Well, when I say it happens in just one area, I mean really just one area. All across the width of my phone just below the top speaker is what heats up, no where else except for the mirrored area on the back. Although you may be right that it's directing away from the internals, why would it only go to one VERY specific area? I mean, if I move my hand just less than a centimeter away from this zone I almost can't even detect the heat.

That's where the cpu is and obviously it's going to be the hottest part. If you had a thermal camera you could see that the phone is hot on the other parts too, but the top part is the hottest.

Though when you think about it, not every single one is going to be perfect, yours may be a faulty one indeed.
But as I said, if you don't see throttling, and if the temps aren't near 80's (celsius) don't worry that much about it.

Last edited:

alb9k

May 11, 2011
Waze Heating

Normally it's cold. It gets hot specially using Waze. :mad:

Last edited:

Aur3L

Nov 21, 2012
Paris
OnePlus 7 Pro
Huawei P40 Pro
I am using a brand new sealed 6p, my second unit after I got robbed the first one. In the meantime, I had a Op3 and I am so glad I came back with this fresh unit. On 6 cores mode on EX kernel, the phone doesn't heat as much as on 8 cores and it happens to run games cooler too, with less frame drop. So a good deal indeed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Some phones are great to take camping because if you play Asphalt 8 long enough, the back warms up to the ideal temperature that can bake bread. Rate this thread to express the extent to which the Huawei Nexus 6P stays cool under extended heavy use. A higher rating indicates that even when playing strenuous games for long periods of time, the phone doesn't get uncomfortably warm.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!
    I don't have any real world temperature readings but it seems to get uncomfortably warm to hold against your ear when you are on a call for a long time. Plus playing games or watching videos ramps up the temperature quickly.
    interesting how people have diferent opinions.

this phone gets HOT, not if its sitting on the table and if ur facebooking, but use the camera for 10-15min straight, or navigation in a car, or skype, it gets hot that I cant put it on my face afterwards.
    But same **** happens with Note5 as well, they are just very powerfull devices.

But saying it doesnt get hot is a straight forward LIE.
    Find it no better or worse than other phones i have owned
    I haven't been able to get my phone to top 38C. The only way it hit that was after about half hour of continued gaming use, which I don't think is hot.