• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Heating and battery drain issue

Search This thread

smilirulz

Aug 6, 2014
Hello,

Today when I arrived at work at 9 AM, I had ~ 85% battery, after listening to music on Soundcloud for about 30 minutes on my way to work. At ~ 10 or 10:30 , i`ve noticed that while my phone was sitting on the desk without using it, several battery draining, from 85 to 65% since I got in the office. It looked weird to me, but I didnt pay attention to it.Also, I`ve noticed that the phone was heating more and more, and this heat was noticeable, even tho I`m using a hard back case on my phone. 2 hours later, it was at 30% and I was terrified. I`ve checked the Battery option in settings, and the only consumer displayed there was Android System, which drained ~12% from the battery, and some apps that were having an average of 3-4%.

After 2-3 reboots, the problem still persisted and then, after checking the battery again, guess what : facebook and facebook messenger show up with 20% and 14% battery consumed during these 5 hours, even if I didnt used the phone at all. This started all of a sudden and I dont know why. I`m running nougat oos4.0, from 31st december and this is the 1st time I`m seeing this issue. I`ve uninstalled both apps, and the problem is gone. Also, last saturday I wiped my phone because it was a bit laggy after the nougat update, so there shouldnt be any problems. Anyone encountered this issue with both apps ?

Cheers

Reactions: eternal1903

justibasa

Feb 6, 2011
Elk Ridge, UT
Hello,

Today when I arrived at work at 9 AM, I had ~ 85% battery, after listening to music on Soundcloud for about 30 minutes on my way to work. At ~ 10 or 10:30 , i`ve noticed that while my phone was sitting on the desk without using it, several battery draining, from 85 to 65% since I got in the office. It looked weird to me, but I didnt pay attention to it.Also, I`ve noticed that the phone was heating more and more, and this heat was noticeable, even tho I`m using a hard back case on my phone. 2 hours later, it was at 30% and I was terrified. I`ve checked the Battery option in settings, and the only consumer displayed there was Android System, which drained ~12% from the battery, and some apps that were having an average of 3-4%.

After 2-3 reboots, the problem still persisted and then, after checking the battery again, guess what : facebook and facebook messenger show up with 20% and 14% battery consumed during these 5 hours, even if I didnt used the phone at all. This started all of a sudden and I dont know why. I`m running nougat oos4.0, from 31st december and this is the 1st time I`m seeing this issue. I`ve uninstalled both apps, and the problem is gone. Also, last saturday I wiped my phone because it was a bit laggy after the nougat update, so there shouldnt be any problems. Anyone encountered this issue with both apps ?

Cheers
Uninstall Facebook. It's a know battery draining app and always has been. Use other apps that access Facebook like Metal. Works well without the heavy battery drain that happens with the Facebook app.

Reactions: eternal1903

smilirulz

Aug 6, 2014
Uninstall Facebook. It's a know battery draining app and always has been. Use other apps that access Facebook like Metal. Works well without the heavy battery drain that happens with the Facebook app.

Hey, thanks for you suggestion. Just bought the Pro version and I`m going to give it a try. Have a great day

cultofluna

Nov 25, 2015
Google Pixel 4 XL
OPPO Find X2 Pro
Yes me to....
I've also install metal for Facebook...Works very good..

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

Almost all android phones woke up today with huge battery&heating problems because of facebook app update....

I dont understand why all these years Facebook app is a bunch of bugs and issues.....

.Space Man

Mar 18, 2012
I got the same problem this morning...
I just uninstalled Facebook and messenger, now just wait and let's see if that solve the battery draining...

Sent from my OnePlus 3T using XDA Labs

Please let me know, i popped in and swapped my phone for another one and ive just noticed FB is using more battery than any other app

2003vstrom

May 3, 2010
coldwater,mi
I must have a peach of a 3T, I use the facebook app and through out the day and texting my wife all day at work I have it charged at 100% at 4:00 am then by the time I get home, at 4pm i stil have 65-70 % left, actually last night I forgot to charge my 3T and I had 63% battery when I went to bed at 9 pm last night and woke up at 4 am this morning and still had 52%, didn`t think that was bad at all for over night., but I have not had any issues with my phone or battery or over heating issues.:good:

enzzo28

Jul 23, 2016
Los Angeles
Samsung Galaxy S21
Please let me know, i popped in and swapped my phone for another one and ive just noticed FB is using more battery than any other app
It's too early to make final assumptions, but it seems that the battery draining has stopped, or at least it's not draining as fast as it had been... (I have lost just 2% within an hour, where I had lost around 15% during the previous one) ...

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

I must have a peach of a 3T, I use the facebook app and through out the day and texting my wife all day at work I have it charged at 100% at 4:00 am then by the time I get home, at 4pm i stil have 65-70 % left, actually last night I forgot to charge my 3T and I had 63% battery when I went to bed at 9 pm last night and woke up at 4 am this morning and still had 52%, didn`t think that was bad at all for over night., but I have not had any issues with my phone or battery or over heating issues.:good:

I haven't experienced any battery draining problem until today...
Also I saw a lot of people complaining about the same Facebook & messenger issue today on Oneplus's Facebook post...
So maybe it's being caused by an update of those apps...

OrrPenn18

Feb 18, 2011
Recovery Mode
This sudden battery drain is horrible. 100 to 0 in 12 hours. Well I don't have any of those apps (Fb, messenger, twitter etc) and still am experiencing heavy battery drain. Some users over at Reddit have claimed it to be due to the Google Calendar updates. Lets see if this subsides over the next few days.

B3501

Mar 4, 2015
Not sure if this is coincidence or not but, I flashed a custom Lineage rom last night and the CPU usage at idle was through the roof, the phone was draining like mad and heating up. I don't have the FB app installed. I then flashed another ROM and it went away. Is there something in certain Roms causing this? Again, I don't have the FB app installed, but I'm fine now on a custom Rom.

cultofluna

Nov 25, 2015
Google Pixel 4 XL
OPPO Find X2 Pro
After uninstalling Facebook & messenger using metal app..
Battery life is great so far...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170110-194647.png
    Screenshot_20170110-194647.png
    67.9 KB · Views: 369
  • Screenshot_20170110-194600.png
    Screenshot_20170110-194600.png
    128.9 KB · Views: 375

smilirulz

Aug 6, 2014
This sudden battery drain is horrible. 100 to 0 in 12 hours. Well I don't have any of those apps (Fb, messenger, twitter etc) and still am experiencing heavy battery drain. Some users over at Reddit have claimed it to be due to the Google Calendar updates. Lets see if this subsides over the next few days.

Dont think its related to google, more like facebook, since both fb and messenger were showing in battery consumption as main drain apps.
This is the first time when my op3t heats and also drains that fast. I usually get 1,5 days ( only browsing,texting, and social apps, no games). The problem solved after i uninstalled those apps

withoutwings

Feb 12, 2010
Cambridge
Yes FB and Messenger overheated and drained my phone today. Not impressed.

Seems to be behaving this evening however.

I think it was some sort of a server-side glitch as I found a mention on Reddit of a similar thing happening a year ago.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

Cheers
    Hello,

Cheers
    This is my thinking too ... but there has been no update
    Its a server update,not in the app