Question Heatsink/cooling system failure

Search This thread

PsychoMcSatan

Sep 8, 2012
Wakanada
Red Magic 6S Pro
Have had reboot issues for a while now and they were just getting worse. Nubia said to send in for out of warranty support, but thankfully that process is severely broken as all of the repair contacts they forwarded were either out of service or foreign language (Czechoslovakian!?).

In any case, I figured the phone was done so decided to take it apart and lo and behold, it seemed to last a bit longer between reboots when the back was off. Assuming it was a heat issue, I tried replacing the thermal paste where I could with varying results, but ultimately I ended up taking it completely apart to access the face of the SD 888+ chip and replaced the blob of pink goo covered with copper tape with a 1.5mm copper shim along with MX-4 paste. 1.5mm seemed to be the right spacing and the 15mm by 15mm shim I had only needed a few edges reshaped to fit within the housing.

So yesterday I put it all back together and no hint of issues yet. Longest time it's run without a reboot for at least a month.

I suspect I may have accelerated the breakdown of the cooling since I often put my phone into a bicycle mount which I think puts some pressure on the back of the phone, likely squashing the paste a little flatter each time till it was no longer making contact.

Anyway, if you do start seeing random reboots, this might be the issue.

Though it feels like I'm talking to myself on this forum. Are XDA forums not what they used to be or are Redmagic phones just not as popular as my Google feed is leading me to believe?

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
If you're using it in direct sunlight you aren't doing it any favors. You can fry a phone like that rather quickly. The thermal shutdown may not react fast enough to prevent hardware damage...
Limit SOT in direct sunlight to seconds not minutes especially in high ambient temperatures.
Monitor battery and CPU core temps.
If the phone feels hot, it is hot!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Have had reboot issues for a while now and they were just getting worse. Nubia said to send in for out of warranty support, but thankfully that process is severely broken as all of the repair contacts they forwarded were either out of service or foreign language (Czechoslovakian!?).

In any case, I figured the phone was done so decided to take it apart and lo and behold, it seemed to last a bit longer between reboots when the back was off. Assuming it was a heat issue, I tried replacing the thermal paste where I could with varying results, but ultimately I ended up taking it completely apart to access the face of the SD 888+ chip and replaced the blob of pink goo covered with copper tape with a 1.5mm copper shim along with MX-4 paste. 1.5mm seemed to be the right spacing and the 15mm by 15mm shim I had only needed a few edges reshaped to fit within the housing.

So yesterday I put it all back together and no hint of issues yet. Longest time it's run without a reboot for at least a month.

I suspect I may have accelerated the breakdown of the cooling since I often put my phone into a bicycle mount which I think puts some pressure on the back of the phone, likely squashing the paste a little flatter each time till it was no longer making contact.

Anyway, if you do start seeing random reboots, this might be the issue.

Though it feels like I'm talking to myself on this forum. Are XDA forums not what they used to be or are Redmagic phones just not as popular as my Google feed is leading me to believe?