• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Heavy battery drain

Search This thread

TempezT

Jan 14, 2013
Is this normal battery draining? Lately this phone seems to be drinking the battery way too fast even with stuff turned off.

Wifi,Bluetooth, brightness 50% lots of apps off or greenify. What else I can do to improve the battery life?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-12-20-09-00-37.png
    Screenshot_2017-12-20-09-00-37.png
    226.6 KB · Views: 1,026

TempezT

Jan 14, 2013
More pics following

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-12-20-13-38-30.png
    Screenshot_2017-12-20-13-38-30.png
    224 KB · Views: 802
  • Screenshot_2017-12-20-13-38-06.png
    Screenshot_2017-12-20-13-38-06.png
    217.2 KB · Views: 778

kovacszj

Jun 11, 2008
Budapest
It's hard to say what's causing this drain, there's not enough information on your screenshots. Maybe you can try out the BetterBatteryStats app. It'll give you a detailed information about your battery drain. If from the stats won't be clear for you what affects on your battery, you could post then your stats in the BBS thread, I'm sure somebody would help you. But, before you'd post your stats, please read the op. (Main rule to post the stats: charge the phone fully, unplug it (I usually reboot the phone because takes a long time to drain from 100% to 99%), leave it at least for 6 hour on idle (best time is night time), and less then 1 minute sot).

Last edited:
Reactions: TempezT

One Twelve

Oct 28, 2013
Normal battery drain for me works out to 0.4 - 0.6% per hour or 6% every 12h

That is with screen off, second screen off as well. wifi on & cell

Once i woke up and found it drained 30% over night. Just restarted and it went away

so far so good :)

pistacios

Jan 12, 2014
Also, make sure not to use immersive mode.
I just had a battle with it. I was unaware of the battery drain "bug" when immersive mode is enabled. Its part reason why I landed on this thread while searching.

pistacios

Jan 12, 2014
how do you toggle this mode?

and how do you know which state you're in?

Immersive mode hides your navbar and status bar.

I wouldnt recommend it unless you want a battery drain, but here goes:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.leedroid.shortcutter

There are other useful tools to add to your quick settings tiles in that app also.

I'm rooted, but i beleive the functions can be enabled without root, the app has instructions.

Edit: I'm going to test a new setting i found in "shortcutter". It allows to disable immersive mode when screen is off. We'll see if the battery drain persists...

Last edited:

TempezT

Jan 14, 2013
I still ow 395 for this phone at T mobile so I might move to a note 8 assuming battery life is better. Cant even play BF before the battery is down 40%.

Reactions: popwar

One Twelve

Oct 28, 2013
I still ow 395 for this phone at T mobile so I might move to a note 8 assuming battery life is better. Cant even play BF before the battery is down 40%.

ok, lets try something more powerful

Ever heard of battery historian

Been following that tool for a couple of years but it was too involved to setup. Now its much easier. You can either run it locally on a PC or upload your zipped log file to a server he has setup.

What you do is
- Run your phone down to 10% from full. Use your phone as you would normally with 4g
- go to developer options - Take a bug repport ( dialog window appears with two options on my v20. Interactive and full report. Choose full report.
- when it finishes, you get an option only to share. Choose gmail or google drive. It will upload it. You can then download it.

Now the server he has setup is here

Upload the zipped log file and click submit, it will analyse your log files and present you with a historian v2 graph and a table.

Screen shot the historian graph, looks like this
Screen shot the aggregated stats table, looks like this

Post the screen shots here. Let's see what shows up :)

Quote my post so i get a notification

Reactions: Mr. Schnabel

TempezT

Jan 14, 2013
ok, lets try something more powerful

Ever heard of battery historian

Been following that tool for a couple of years but it was too involved to setup. Now its much easier. You can either run it locally on a PC or upload your zipped log file to a server he has setup.

What you do is
- Run your phone down to 10% from full. Use your phone as you would normally with 4g
- go to developer options - Take a bug repport ( dialog window appears with two options on my v20. Interactive and full report. Choose full report.
- when it finishes, you get an option only to share. Choose gmail or google drive. It will upload it. You can then download it.

Now the server he has setup is here

Upload the zipped log file and click submit, it will analyse your log files and present you with a historian v2 graph and a table.

Screen shot the historian graph, looks like this
Screen shot the aggregated stats table, looks like this

Post the screen shots here. Let's see what shows up :)

Quote my post so i get a notification

Thank you I will try that later on. It really pisses me off when I start using this phone and have to be checking the battery every freaking minute.

On my old note 2 and 5 I used to play Brave Frontier hours, use FB and even watch movies using MX player and the battery lasted 9 hours the less.
On this phone I just tested 30 minutes of gameplay, some FB and browsing on chrome and in 3 hours it drinked 40%.

TempezT

Jan 14, 2013
Have you considered your battery may be the issue? I had my seller on Amazon ship me a new battery and it made a huge difference in battery life.

Honestly I don't know, I have always used the phone until it gets to 10% if it allowes me to cause at times, the phone turn off at 11%. I completely recharge it and restart it most of the time.

Mar 3, 2017
I have had this heavy drain issue a few weeks ago.Turns out it was my anti virus,it even slowed my phone down by a rather large amount.Removed it,phone is blisteringly quick and battery is almost perfect.Have to remove facebook

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would start with your biggest "offender"...the facebook app. It is well known that the Facebook app is a resource and battery hog. Maybe try the web version for a while?
    Normal battery drain for me works out to 0.4 - 0.6% per hour or 6% every 12h

That is with screen off, second screen off as well. wifi on & cell

Once i woke up and found it drained 30% over night. Just restarted and it went away

so far so good :)
    It's hard to say what's causing this drain, there's not enough information on your screenshots. Maybe you can try out the BetterBatteryStats app. It'll give you a detailed information about your battery drain. If from the stats won't be clear for you what affects on your battery, you could post then your stats in the BBS thread, I'm sure somebody would help you. But, before you'd post your stats, please read the op. (Main rule to post the stats: charge the phone fully, unplug it (I usually reboot the phone because takes a long time to drain from 100% to 99%), leave it at least for 6 hour on idle (best time is night time), and less then 1 minute sot).
    Dont use facebook app... Use your browser
    Also, make sure not to use immersive mode.
    I just had a battle with it. I was unaware of the battery drain "bug" when immersive mode is enabled. Its part reason why I landed on this thread while searching.

how do you toggle this mode?

and how do you know which state you're in?