• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Heavy battery drain

Search This thread

TempezT

Jan 14, 2013
ok, lets try something more powerful

Ever heard of battery historian

Been following that tool for a couple of years but it was too involved to setup. Now its much easier. You can either run it locally on a PC or upload your zipped log file to a server he has setup.

What you do is
- Run your phone down to 10% from full. Use your phone as you would normally with 4g
- go to developer options - Take a bug repport ( dialog window appears with two options on my v20. Interactive and full report. Choose full report.
- when it finishes, you get an option only to share. Choose gmail or google drive. It will upload it. You can then download it.

Now the server he has setup is here

Upload the zipped log file and click submit, it will analyse your log files and present you with a historian v2 graph and a table.

Screen shot the historian graph, looks like this
Screen shot the aggregated stats table, looks like this

Post the screen shots here. Let's see what shows up :)

Quote my post so i get a notification

Where does the report is stored? Have like 4 reports and for some reason it wants to send it via whatsapp lol

TempezT

Jan 14, 2013
ok, lets try something more powerful

Ever heard of battery historian

Been following that tool for a couple of years but it was too involved to setup. Now its much easier. You can either run it locally on a PC or upload your zipped log file to a server he has setup.

What you do is
- Run your phone down to 10% from full. Use your phone as you would normally with 4g
- go to developer options - Take a bug repport ( dialog window appears with two options on my v20. Interactive and full report. Choose full report.
- when it finishes, you get an option only to share. Choose gmail or google drive. It will upload it. You can then download it.

Now the server he has setup is here

Upload the zipped log file and click submit, it will analyse your log files and present you with a historian v2 graph and a table.

Screen shot the historian graph, looks like this
Screen shot the aggregated stats table, looks like this

Post the screen shots here. Let's see what shows up :)

Quote my post so i get a notification

Ok manage to do it using whatsapp LOL

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-12-28-18-06-46-1.png
    Screenshot_2017-12-28-18-06-46-1.png
    54.6 KB · Views: 217
  • Screenshot_2017-12-28-18-07-36-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-12-28-18-07-36-1.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 241
  • Screenshot_2017-12-28-18-09-47-1.png
    Screenshot_2017-12-28-18-09-47-1.png
    235.9 KB · Views: 235

One Twelve

Oct 28, 2013
Where does the report is stored? Have like 4 reports and for some reason it wants to send it via whatsapp lol

If you check under default apps you probably have whatsapp as default sharing.

If you look at the graph. Notice the cpu running and screen lines. When screen is on cpu runs. When its off, look at the audio line, so cpu runs.

Your mobile signal is excellent, solid green line

You got 4hsot with battery down to 10% for a run time of 9h. You were on the phone for 50m too (so take away as much in sot) meaning if you weren't on the phone you'd get 5h sot with similar runtime. This is normal. How much is your screen brightness in %

Doze even managed to kick in at times but not fully.

Your offscreen drain is 2.6%/h which could be half as much but it isn't bad

For the kind of use i don't see a problem here.

Why do you think there is a problem ?

Last edited:

TempezT

Jan 14, 2013
If you check under default apps you probably have whatsapp as default sharing.

If you look at the graph. Notice the cpu running and screen lines. When screen is on cpu runs. When its off, look at the audio line, so cpu runs.

Your mobile signal is excellent, solid green line

You got 4hsot with battery down to 10% for a run time of 9h. You were on the phone for 50m too (so take away as much in sot) meaning if you weren't on the phone you'd get 5h sot with similar runtime. This is normal. How much is your screen brightness in %

Doze even managed to kick in at times but not fully.

Your offscreen drain is 2.6%/h which could be half as much but it isn't bad

For the kind of use i don't see a problem here.

Why do you think there is a problem ?

I used to use FB,youtube or even play games for extended period on my older phones (n2,5,8 and always got more than 5 hours. If I use the FB app alone with brightness set at 40%, I barely get 4 hours. If I put youtube on the mix it last barely 3.
I dont know if is the difference in screen type( lcd vs oled) but by 12% FB comes up consuming most of the bat and SOT coming second usually eating close to 60% of the battery.

I forgot to point out that I have the second screen turned off too and for some reason the phone wont go down past 10% without turning off itself.

TempezT

Jan 14, 2013
Try with a new battery and post your battery historian graph and table

It should not be shutting off at 10%

Sorry for the late replay
Since im in Puerto Rico, cant order stuff cause all the mayhem hurracanes brought, Im trying to solve the issue locally if possible but right now is really hard.

I will try charging it often and see how it goes. I usually allow the battery to drop to 15% since we gont have electricity.

One Twelve

Oct 28, 2013
Sorry for the late replay
Since im in Puerto Rico, cant order stuff cause all the mayhem hurracanes brought, Im trying to solve the issue locally if possible but right now is really hard.

I will try charging it often and see how it goes. I usually allow the battery to drop to 15% since we gont have electricity.

Hurricane was two months ago man. Still no improvements :(

If you've had your battery since Oct 2016, its shot

Last edited:

One Twelve

Oct 28, 2013
Yup so far 80+ days and counting without electricity...

How do you manage without a fridge ? or are you running a generator all day

Officials said Puerto Rico has 2,400 miles of transmission lines, 30,000 miles of distribution lines and 342 substations that suffered substantial damage during the hurricane.
http://time.com/5082225/hurricane-maria-puerto-rico-no-power/

How does the cell network stay up. Batteries only last so long

If your phone is trying to connect to a weaker signal than usual its going to go through battery quick

Last edited:

TempezT

Jan 14, 2013
How do you manage without a fridge ? or are you running a generator all day

http://time.com/5082225/hurricane-maria-puerto-rico-no-power/

How does the cell network stay up. Batteries only last so long

If your phone is trying to connect to a weaker signal than usual its going to go through battery quick
We have a generator running from 630 pm to 7pm each day, $15 a day per tank.

V20 battery is being charged overnight but the signal is not bad though in terms of 4hlte speeds is about 2mb during day and ariund 10mb overnight.

xsisbest

Feb 8, 2011
I too have had horrible battery life since 2 updates ago. Sometime around October'ish. My wife and I both have the same phone and we both recognized it at the same time that something was wrong. Of course Verizon blames rogue apps that I don't even use such a game they have marked as malicious. I've never even played the game. Either way I bought a zerolemon battery last week to see if it would make any difference and I still can't get home without my battery being over 20 percent. 2 days out this short 4 day week I had to plug it in or it would have died before I even got home from my 8 hour work day. I do use Facebook a lot but not during the day. I notice VPN clients kill the battery majorly fast. But I'm going to see if using the browser version of Facebook helps.

Reactions: TempezT

amirhosseinakb

Aug 14, 2016
hi
my v20 phone battery draining was about 1% per hour before (about 7% totally ) and recently increased to 2% during sleeping time overnight. (draining 15% overnight in sleeping state)
it seems that during day either performance off battery is decreased.(about 5h with wifi and screen on usage)
Fast charging while second screen is On , is slower than when it is off therefore when second screen is Off , fast charging goes better . exactly , first 30 mins fast charging makes about 40% battery charge(instead of 50%) and after 60 min leads to 85% and full charging taking place after about 100 min instead of 80 mins.

another important thing is that sometimes shades have been seen on the LCD that many users have complained about it.

phone information is :
Android security patch level: September 1, 2017
BASEBAND : MPSS.TH.2.0.1.c3-00045-M8996FAAAANAZM-1
KERNEL : 3.18.31
BUILD NUMBER : NRD90M
SOFTWARE VERSION : V10g-AME-XX
MODEL NUMBER : LG-H990ds

my actions are as follows :
  • phone is factory reseted. No third party apps is installed. [especially social media apps.]
  • battery calibration steps for not rooted phones is taken place.(turning off the phone and charging several times repeatedly).
  • testing battery drain in safe mode in done and didn't change results
  • turn off location services and location scanning for WiFi and Bluetooth scanning
  • turn off WiFi being On during screen is Off.
  • turn off auto sync, NFC, GPS etc.
  • not using auto brightness.
  • not using comfort view .
  • turn off location services and location scanning for WiFi and Bluetooth scanning
  • second screen is off during test overnight. (either with second screen is ON with faced down to lower brightness in other day test )
  • phone is in Air Plane Mode and all data services is off.
  • system apps like Google services and Play and Assistance is limited by permissions.
following are some advanced battery drain overnight figures of my phone for more analyzing.
any help with this issue is appreciated.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 211
  • rate.jpg
    rate.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 209

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would start with your biggest "offender"...the facebook app. It is well known that the Facebook app is a resource and battery hog. Maybe try the web version for a while?
    Normal battery drain for me works out to 0.4 - 0.6% per hour or 6% every 12h

That is with screen off, second screen off as well. wifi on & cell

Once i woke up and found it drained 30% over night. Just restarted and it went away

so far so good :)
    It's hard to say what's causing this drain, there's not enough information on your screenshots. Maybe you can try out the BetterBatteryStats app. It'll give you a detailed information about your battery drain. If from the stats won't be clear for you what affects on your battery, you could post then your stats in the BBS thread, I'm sure somebody would help you. But, before you'd post your stats, please read the op. (Main rule to post the stats: charge the phone fully, unplug it (I usually reboot the phone because takes a long time to drain from 100% to 99%), leave it at least for 6 hour on idle (best time is night time), and less then 1 minute sot).
    Dont use facebook app... Use your browser
    Also, make sure not to use immersive mode.
    I just had a battle with it. I was unaware of the battery drain "bug" when immersive mode is enabled. Its part reason why I landed on this thread while searching.

how do you toggle this mode?

and how do you know which state you're in?