Helium Backup Issues

Search This thread

gdeangel

Jul 4, 2013
Is anyone else having an issue using Helium Backup to transfer data to their new phone? I'm using a Mac and when I connect the Nexus to my computer I get the green checkmark, but my phone hangs on the screen asking to put the phone in PTP mode, despite the phone already being in PTP mode.

I didn't have this problem when backing up data from my old Nexus 6.

saadbaba89

Dec 4, 2015
Is anyone else having an issue using Helium Backup to transfer data to their new phone? I'm using a Mac and when I connect the Nexus to my computer I get the green checkmark, but my phone hangs on the screen asking to put the phone in PTP mode, despite the phone already being in PTP mode.

I didn't have this problem when backing up data from my old Nexus 6.

I am having the same issue. Any solution yet?

matteventu

Feb 17, 2009
Lodi
Me having the same issue as well...
And it's really bad, I was sure to be able to restore the backup from my MM Nexus 5... Both with Marshmallow, both with stock Android...

I contracted the Helium support but they didn't reply yet...

If someone find a solution or had news, please tell.

Reactions: MartelKombat

skesseks

Feb 4, 2009
I have gotten this to work by setting starting the software on the phone and the PC and connecting the cable, then using the system settings to set the PTP mode. Sometimes it takes two or three tries.

Zxurian

Sep 12, 2007
so are there any other ideas on getting this to work? I'm running a Nexus 6P, I've tried connecting and switching to PTP mode, it verifies and says it's good to go, spends ~2 minutes performing Backup, then puts up the "Backup Error" screen.
I've made sure that my Desktop Password is blank, however when I try to run the backup it does complain about it since the device is encrypted, however it seems to auto-tab through and try to backup anyway.
I have set my encryption pin within the Helium Backup app as well, still can't get a backup to work.

Jake-44

Jan 8, 2016
NW Indiana
Nexus 6p - same problem. Usb debugging is activated, using PTP driver, Desktop app shows green check mark and good to go. Start the backup on the phone app and after about 2 minute pause - error backing up. Tried reloading the app, same issue. Not playing nice with Android 6 at all. Tried My Bakup (free version) and it worked fine.

Guess we'll have to wait for an updated Helium app.

dcrandon

Feb 19, 2011
Same problem. On my N6P I can't get Helium to activate using the Mac program. Helium on the phone asks me to switch to PTP, even if I'm already in PTP, and then Settings will crash when I tell it "yes" go to settings to do this.

Gotta have this fixed as Helium seems to be the only way to transfer my old T-Mobile VVM to my new phone. It worked from my N5 to my N6.

dcrandon

Feb 19, 2011
I have gotten this to work by setting starting the software on the phone and the PC and connecting the cable, then using the system settings to set the PTP mode. Sometimes it takes two or three tries.

This worked perfect for me.

Launch Helium app on your phone but don't do anything else.
Launch Helium program on your computer.
Connect the cable to both.
And all worked ok after that.
It even backed up my T-Mobile Visual Voice Mail even though the author says it wouldn't.

michelmaxy

Oct 5, 2012
I think i have another problem.. after it asks me to switch to PTP.. i tap OK.. then i get a message saying "settings has stopped working"!!
Then i do it all over again.. same result.

stathious

Feb 2, 2012
Under "Developer options" enable "USB debugging". After that again under "Developer options" there is another option called "Select USB Configuration". For this option select "Audio Source". That workaround just worked for me!

Reactions: sawan25

ldubs

Dec 25, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Same problem. On my N6P I can't get Helium to activate using the Mac program. Helium on the phone asks me to switch to PTP, even if I'm already in PTP, and then Settings will crash when I tell it "yes" go to settings to do this.

Gotta have this fixed as Helium seems to be the only way to transfer my old T-Mobile VVM to my new phone. It worked from my N5 to my N6.

Same issue here, Helium on the phone asks me to switch to PTP, even though I already did so, and then settings will crash when I hit yes to change to PTP. No bueno.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

My god this has been bugging me for months and this fixed it! Thank you!

Removed security lock, didn't work at first, then after a reboot it connected correctly and I'm now restoring some of my apps and data (some of them stated in helium that they could not be backed up for some reason).

Thanks!!!

bigc_13

Apr 28, 2010
I just struggled with this for 30 minutes trying everything suggested above. Finally I clicked the settings in the Helium app and set a encryption pin via the helium settings. This solved it and it worked instantly. It would appear that because the Nexus 6P is encrypted by default Google won't let Helium backup with out also setting a password.

Reactions: shezza84

Mepsipax

Sep 15, 2013
Got the same problem. Judging from the error stack, I would say the app needs an update for newer Android versions. It tries to open usb setting, but their location changed with recent versions so the app is crashing.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This worked perfect for me.

Launch Helium app on your phone but don't do anything else.
    Launch Helium program on your computer.
    Connect the cable to both.
    And all worked ok after that.
    It even backed up my T-Mobile Visual Voice Mail even though the author says it wouldn't.
    Just remove your lock screen security, after that everything will be working fine
    I had the same issues as described until I tried the chrome app https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/helium-backup/gpglbgbpeobllokpmeagpoagjbfknanl?authuser=1 for some reason it made it recognize that it was connected
    Me having the same issue as well...
    And it's really bad, I was sure to be able to restore the backup from my MM Nexus 5... Both with Marshmallow, both with stock Android...

I contracted the Helium support but they didn't reply yet...

If someone find a solution or had news, please tell.
    Under "Developer options" enable "USB debugging". After that again under "Developer options" there is another option called "Select USB Configuration". For this option select "Audio Source". That workaround just worked for me!