Hello from darkest Yorkshire !

Search This thread
Jun 4, 2023
Just a line to thank you for accepting me into the group. I'm a retired VoIP engineer, prior to that a Marine Radio Officer in the Merchant Navy although I started off as a Morse Code basher in the Royal Navy at 15...so quite a long time in what they now call IT. I like to keep my mind active so pulling out lots of computer stuff I've collected over the years and getting them up to speed with new SSD and RAM plus the latest W11 OS (with a few hacks) As I get them fettled up they will be going on eBay or Facebook market place so I will finally put a smile on the wife's face, she hates all my 'clutter' Sad to see some of these Sony Vaio's go as I've collected what I thought were the best laptops money could buy but then Sony pulled the plug on support ho hum. I will no doubt be asking lots of stupid questions, bear in mind I'm just a morse basher with a bit of age dabbling in something that interests me!
All the best

Steven Barrett

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to XDA. I was a radio technician in the United States Marine Corps for 9 years. We're glad to have you, mate.

Please take a moment to review the Forum Rules and Forum Etiquette linked in my signature.

To find the correct forum section for your device, use the Search function or click the Manufacturers link at the top of the page.

If you have any questions or need help, don't hesitate to ask!

Reactions: Oswald Boelcke
Jun 4, 2023
Welcome to XDA. I was a radio technician in the United States Marine Corps for 9 years. We're glad to have you, mate.

Please take a moment to review the Forum Rules and Forum Etiquette linked in my signature.

To find the correct forum section for your device, use the Search function or click the Manufacturers link at the top of the page.

Thanks for the reply, I often shock sassy folk who think I’m a geek, they don’t realise we had a military life before becoming civilian drudges …. Soon learn though don’t they !!!

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the reply, I often shock sassy folk who think I’m a geek, they don’t realise we had a military life before becoming civilian drudges …. Soon learn though don’t they !!!
They sure do, and so do we...that adjustment can be a rough one! From an environment where frequent use of certain four letter expletives is part of the everyday vocabulary, to the "civilized" part of society where such things result in a trip to your not so friendly Human Resources representative.

Jun 4, 2023
They sure do, and so do we...that adjustment can be a rough one! From an environment where frequent use of certain four letter expletives is part of the everyday vocabulary, to the "civilized" part of society where such things result in a trip to your not so friendly Human Resources representative.
I was told on leaving the RN back in 1974 aged 21 not to mention I had served (1969 to 71) so I never did for many years

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I was told on leaving the RN back in 1974 aged 21 not to mention I had served (1969 to 71) so I never did for many years
Odd. I wonder if that was a Cold War thing. Anyway, welcome to XDA, a lot of us (especially the moderator staff like @Oswald Boelcke and @Badger50 ) are 60+ so you aren't so out of place! Never too old to learn!

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
@stevenpbarrett
Odd. I wonder if that was a Cold War thing. Anyway, welcome to XDA, a lot of us (especially the moderator staff like @Oswald Boelcke and @Badger50 ) are 60+ so you aren't so out of place! Never too old to learn!
Also from me a very warm welcome! I commenced to serve my country, NATO i.e. the free world in the Western hemisphere at that time, too. Actually much easier than the times afterwards, which I experienced until my retirement or monitor nowadays. But I think we better don't turn into any political discussions on XDA.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @stevenpbarrett
    Also from me a very warm welcome! I commenced to serve my country, NATO i.e. the free world in the Western hemisphere at that time, too. Actually much easier than the times afterwards, which I experienced until my retirement or monitor nowadays. But I think we better don't turn into any political discussions on XDA.
    Just a line to thank you for accepting me into the group. I'm a retired VoIP engineer, prior to that a Marine Radio Officer in the Merchant Navy although I started off as a Morse Code basher in the Royal Navy at 15...so quite a long time in what they now call IT. I like to keep my mind active so pulling out lots of computer stuff I've collected over the years and getting them up to speed with new SSD and RAM plus the latest W11 OS (with a few hacks) As I get them fettled up they will be going on eBay or Facebook market place so I will finally put a smile on the wife's face, she hates all my 'clutter' Sad to see some of these Sony Vaio's go as I've collected what I thought were the best laptops money could buy but then Sony pulled the plug on support ho hum. I will no doubt be asking lots of stupid questions, bear in mind I'm just a morse basher with a bit of age dabbling in something that interests me!
    All the best

Steven Barrett