• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

HELP: Attempting to obtain root on BLU G9 Pro

Search This thread

eLatErbI

Dec 26, 2020
Hello all, so long story short I had bought a BLU G9 Pro which came with Android 9 Pie. The only device-specific guide I could find online about obtaining root was: https://www.getdroidtips.com/root-blu-g9-pro/
The information on that guide is trivial and can be applicable to almost any device. The root method worked, however, there was an OTA update to Android 10 (and then later a security update) which I took. I then attempted to re-root the device utilizing the same method. However, now it seems that everytime I flash a Magisk modded boot.img my device gets stuck in a bootloop and will not go past the bootloader. I believe that this device may be uncharted territory but it is a great phone and I would love to have both Magisk root and the latest Android 10 firmware. I have found that Magisk supports both Android 10 and A-only devices so I do not see what is causing the problem. Additionally, I attempted to flash an AOSP GSI of Android 10 which refused to boot before I even installed Magisk. I am new to modern Android devices with Project Treble so please forgive me if there is something obvious I am missing. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

eLatErbI

Dec 26, 2020
It seems that Verified Boot could definitely be getting in the way. Could this possibly explain why Magisk is working on the Android 9.0 version of the stock ROM but not Android 10? However, I thought Magisk disabled verified boot in the kernel (boot.img) also I do not have a vbmeta.img in any stock firmware for this phone. Any other means of disabling verified boot? Thanks in advance!

radiophonique

Oct 24, 2019
Hi, I have the same problem with my G9 PRO, I tried to boot all kinds of GSI roms with and without magisk and it doesn't work (bootloop). I cannot find the vbmeta partition anywhere so I am hesitant to try to flash it without a backup. There is a mention of it in the fstab of the boot partition, however it is not in the stock firmware or in my own backups. Magisk did also work for me before the Android 10 update. Does anyone have an idea of how AVB works without a vbmeta partition or a verity file?

tuffasagong

Mar 13, 2012
You can extract the boot.img from your phone if you updated to 10. I updated and used SP Flash to read the boot.img and WwR_MTK to get the partition length and starting value for the boot.img and patched it using Magisk and reflashed it over fastboot. I know this thread is a bit old but if anyone is interested, reply and I will post the link that explains. I have Android 10 running on my Blu G9 pro rooted.

&oot4peace

Dec 23, 2020
You can extract the boot.img from your phone if you updated to 10. I updated and used SP Flash to read the boot.img and WwR_MTK to get the partition length and starting value for the boot.img and patched it using Magisk and reflashed it over fastboot. I know this thread is a bit old but if anyone is interested, reply and I will post the link that explains. I have Android 10 running on my Blu G9 pro rooted.
Hi. Please post the link. It will be very helpful for me. I have the BLU_G0231WW android 10.

tuffasagong

Mar 13, 2012
Here is the link: https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-21970.html
This is what I did to root the phone:
Download WwR_MTK 2.30 and SP Flash (I used version 5.2112)
**Open WwR_MTK 2.30 and create a basic Scatter File by choosing the Platform Type (processor) which for Blu G9 Pro is MT6771. Click create and save as - I saved all files in one folder.
**Open SP Flash Tool and under the download tab choose the scatter file we just created it will have only Preloader under it.
**Go to the Readback tab press Add -- Double click on what was added and just keep it saved as ROM_0 (once again I saved it in the same folder as the scatter file) -- the Start Address is in the scatter file as "physical_start_addr:" it should be 0x0 and the length is "partition_size:" and the value should be 0x80000. Keep the Region as EMMC_USER unless you want the preloader but to get the boot.img we don't need that. Turn off your phone and press the Read Back button with the Arrow and plug your phone into the computer. It will read the file and give you a big Green Check to let you know it completed succesfully.
**Once you have the ROM_0 open it up in WwR_MTK 2.30 Under Step 3 (Choose the EMMC_USER partition in the prepared backup) you will get an error that says "The file size is smaller than the start position of the LK (uboot)" press OK -- You will get another error that says "To determine the ype of process and memory.... blah blah blah" Press OK
**Click the Scatter File tab -- Under the Name field find boot. We now get the starting value of the boot.img and the partition length. We need these values to put back into SP Flash.
**Go to SP Flash and Readback tab again. Press add. Double Click the new add and save it as boot.img -- Region is EMMC_USER and the start address is going to be the HEX value next to Boot and length the length address next to boot. For the BLU_G0231WW_V10.0.04.07_GENERIC Build these addresses are:
Start: 0x20C00000 and Length: 0x2000000
Push ok when you put the start address and length for the boot.img and once again push Readback and connect your phone while off. The File size I got was a boot.img of 32,768 KB in size which is much bigger than the boot.img of the Android 9 (which was like 9 MB in size).
**Install Magisk on the phone and patch the boot.img and flash it with fastboot and boom, you have a rooted BLU G9 Pro with the latest Update. Keep your stock boot.img as I rooted my phone with the 10.0.04.04 update and could not update to 10.0.04.07 until I reflashed the stock boot.img in case there is another update.
That is all there is to it and you should be able to use this tutorial to root if BLU pushes anymore updates.

Last edited:

&oot4peace

Dec 23, 2020
Here is the link: https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-21970.html
This is what I did to root the phone:
Download WwR_MTK 2.30 and SP Flash (I used version 5.2112)
**Open WwR_MTK 2.30 and create a basic Scatter File by choosing the Platform Type (processor) which for Blu G9 Pro is MT6771. Click create and save as - I saved all files in one folder.
**Open SP Flash Tool and under the download tab choose the scatter file we just created it will have only Preloader under it.
**Go to the Readback tab press Add -- Double click on what was added and just keep it saved as ROM_0 (once again I saved it in the same folder as the scatter file) -- the Start Address is in the scatter file as "physical_start_addr:" it should be 0x0 and the length is "partition_size:" and the value should be 0x80000. Keep the Region as EMMC_USER unless you want the preloader but to get the boot.img we don't need that. Turn off your phone and press the Read Back button with the Arrow and plug your phone into the computer. It will read the file and give you a big Green Check to let you know it completed succesfully.
**Once you have the ROM_0 open it up in WwR_MTK 2.30 Under Step 3 (Choose the EMMC_USER partition in the prepared backup) you will get an error that says "The file size is smaller than the start position of the LK (uboot)" press OK -- You will get another error that says "To determine the ype of process and memory.... blah blah blah" Press OK
**Click the Scatter File tab -- Under the Name field find boot. We now get the starting value of the boot.img and the partition length. We need these values to put back into SP Flash.
**Go to SP Flash and Readback tab again. Press add. Double Click the new add and save it as boot.img -- Region is EMMC_USER and the start address is going to be the HEX value next to Boot and length the length address next to boot. For the BLU_G0231WW_V10.0.04.07_GENERIC Build these addresses are:
Start: 0x20C00000 and Length: 0x2000000
Push ok when you put the start address and length for the boot.img and once again push Readback and connect your phone while off. The File size I got was a boot.img of 32,768 KB in size which is much bigger than the boot.img of the Android 9 (which was like 9 MB in size).
**Install Magisk on the phone and patch the boot.img and flash it with fastboot and boom, you have a rooted BLU G9 Pro with the latest Update. Keep your stock boot.img as I rooted my phone with the 10.0.04.04 update and could not update to 10.0.04.07 until I reflashed the stock boot.img in case there is another update.
That is all there is to it and you should be able to use this tutorial to root if BLU pushes anymore updates.
Thank tuffasagong.
I now have my blu g9 pro magisk rooted on Android 10. I added viper4Android, Adaway and more tweaks.
Have you noticed the desktop mode when screen casting to second display? I wonder if there is a way to reduce lag when using bluetooth mous.

Tesh3180

Sep 11, 2017
Thank tuffasagong.
I now have my blu g9 pro magisk rooted on Android 10. I added viper4Android, Adaway and more tweaks.
Have you noticed the desktop mode when screen casting to second display? I wonder if there is a way to reduce lag when using bluetooth mous.
flashed magisk but bricked phone Does anyone happen to have g9 pro v10 firmware G0230WW or G0231WW readback rom? please i need to unbrick and firmware on web wont work. Please help..

tuffasagong

Mar 13, 2012
Blu pushed out a new update 10.0.04.08 a couple weeks ago. Reflash the stock Boot image to update. Boot image has the same length and start addresses. I just reflashed the magisk Boot image I made with 10.0.04.07 and works fine.