• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Question Help, Bootloader locked phone bricked

Search This thread

awsan

Apr 22, 2015
So I just received the phone today and as I always like to do with my new phones I downloaded the latest full ota, installed it through local upgrade and when I pressed reboot the phone rebooted normally.

I went an pressed reboot to recovery and boom the phone just died, no recovery it goes to QUALCOMM crash dump and I am able to boot into bootloader but OEM unlock is still off in the developers options, cant unlock boot loader, cant flash anything in fastboot and there are no MSM tools.

Anyone have any ideas??

Be careful I was on stock rom flashed with stock latest rom with locked bootloader and no funny business and the phone just dead.

Reactions: PiArc

Wrssmithjr04

May 28, 2018
I would contact oneplus. I had this once happen to me on my oneplus 3t and they were able to fix it using remote access and walking me through a few steps.

Reactions: PiArc

jammin6996

Jan 24, 2011
OnePlus 9 Pro
i just did the same thing, cant get past "device is corrupt and will not boot" i can get into fastboot but no commands work and it will not boot into recovery at all. unlocking the bootloader comes back "flashing unlock not allowed"
any fixes?

Last edited:

jammin6996

Jan 24, 2011
OnePlus 9 Pro
i just did the same thing, cant get past "device is corrupt and will not boot" i can get into fastboot but no commands work and it will not boot into recovery at all. unlocking the bootloader comes back "flashing unlock not allowed"
any fixes?

awsan

Apr 22, 2015
I would contact oneplus. I had this once happen to me on my oneplus 3t and they were able to fix it using remote access and walking me through a few steps.
Thanks it worked, they contacted me and started a remote session and fixed the phone
What model do you have? I don't see why your OEM unlock option would be greyed out...
It was not greyed out I just didnt press it before the phone was corrupted
any fixes?
Chat with oneplus and request a remote session repair they will send you the files and one person will get remote access to fix your phone, Worked for me

jammin6996

Jan 24, 2011
OnePlus 9 Pro
Thanks it worked, they contacted me and started a remote session and fixed the phone

It was not greyed out I just didnt press it before the phone was corrupted

Chat with oneplus and request a remote session repair they will send you the files and one person will get remote access to fix your phone, Worked for me
thank you for the reply, i have been waiting on that remote session for 16 hours, hopefully they will contact me soon, i keep getting a run around from there live chat.

purpleman2k

Mar 8, 2013
thank you for the reply, i have been waiting on that remote session for 16 hours, hopefully they will contact me soon, i keep getting a run around from there live chat.
All you need is to change the active boot slot to that of before it was messed up.

In fastboot type:

fastboot getvar current-slot

This will tell you what (corrupted) slot you're currently booting from (either a or b). Then just change to the other one with the command:

fastboot --set-active=a
or
fastboot --set-active=b

Then reboot with the command:

fastboot reboot

applyscience

Nov 25, 2016
OnePlus 9
i did something similar (hello, im an idiot) and oneplus just had me send my phone to a licensed repair place and have them send me a brand new one.

3 days later, sure enough, it was just a new phone. coming form op6, i didnt realize the state of rooting since OP8. Since google handles OPs OTA updates, its a lot harder and op8t was only able to root thanks to a generous insider who leaked the code needed to make MSMdownloadTool work.

jammin6996

Jan 24, 2011
OnePlus 9 Pro
All you need is to change the active boot slot to that of before it was messed up.

In fastboot type:

This will tell you what (corrupted) slot you're currently booting from (either a or b). Then just change to the other one with the command:

fastboot --set-active=a
or
fastboot --set-active=b

fastboot reboot
I attempted that however OEM Unlock is not turned on in developer settings and fastboot --set-active just returns an error, something like Commands not allowed.

After 16 hours I finally got my remote session, it took almost 2 hours and they attempted to flash the wrong files on to my device, thank god MSM verifies that first. Then after the tech says "I apologize, my bad, I should have checked that first, we will try again in about 24 hours."
That was a bit ridiculous and if a supervisor isn't able to get it fixed soon, I'm just gonna return it and take my business somewhere else.

Last edited:

schmeggy929

Recognized Themer
Apr 13, 2008
New Jersey
OnePlus 9 Pro
I attempted that however OEM Unlock is not turned on in developer settings and fastboot --set-active just returns an error, something like Commands not allowed.

After 16 hours I finally got my remote session, it took almost 2 hours and they attempted to flash the wrong files on to my device, thank god MSM verifies that first. Then after the tech says "I apologize, my bad, I should have checked that first, we will try again in about 24 hours."
That was a bit ridiculous and if a supervisor isn't able to get it fixed soon, I'm just gonna return it and take my business somewhere else.
Please return the device, there are way too people messing up their device and can't fix it. You are seriously going to blame the manufacturer for something you messed up?

Reactions: zymphad

jammin6996

Jan 24, 2011
OnePlus 9 Pro
Please return the device, there are way too people messing up their device and can't fix it. You are seriously going to blame the manufacturer for something you messed up?
No I'm not blaming then for that. I'm blaming then for there lack of communication and the fact that they have me a run around for 16 hours and being transferred between 2 remote technicians, because "we apologize but Agnes is new here and wasn't sure what she was doing" just for the 2nd technician, Olivia, to attempt to flash the wrong files, and then says "we will try again this time tomorrow" that shows me how incompetent they are. They ask for a list of information before hand so that they make sure they have the right device and files.

And to further my reason for return, when I placed my pre-order it was listed as Dual-SIM, just to receive a single sim version. And the phone gets much hotter then most, and the battery life is no where near what it should be. With all that they want nearly the same price as all other flagship devices..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

In fastboot type:

fastboot --set-active=a
    or
    fastboot --set-active=b

fastboot reboot

So I just received the phone today and as I always like to do with my new phones I downloaded the latest full ota, installed it through local upgrade and when I pressed reboot the phone rebooted normally.

I went an pressed reboot to recovery and boom the phone just died, no recovery it goes to QUALCOMM crash dump and I am able to boot into bootloader but OEM unlock is still off in the developers options, cant unlock boot loader, cant flash anything in fastboot and there are no MSM tools.

Anyone have any ideas??

Be careful I was on stock rom flashed with stock latest rom with locked bootloader and no funny business and the phone just dead.

Finally got OnePlus to fix my phone using the MSM tool, and was able to keep an unprotected copy of it. what is the best place to upload and host a 3.5gb file so i can share it here?