Question [HELP] File Transfer to PC is impossible S21 Ultra

Search This thread
Apr 27, 2018
Hey guys, as the title says - I am having difficulty with transferring files across from my Samsung S21 Ultra to my PC.

I have tried:
- Developer mode, enable USB Debug
- ^ + set default debug to be FTP
- keypad *#0808# and select MTP+ADB
- In the notification bar, clicked the 'charging' notification (that sends me to battery, not to pick another option)

I do not have the original samsung cable as it was of poor quality and failed after 2 months however I am using Anker cables, I use them for file transfers on other devices such as cameras, VR headsets and other phones - they work perfectly fine on everything except my S21 Ultra. I have also tried different PCs/Laptops in case its a driver issue.

Phone specs:
Model number - SM-G998B/DS
Running the latest version of Android.

If anyone can help me, that would be great. I really don't want to factory reset as that means losing the things I want to keep anyway which is just a lose lose.

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
Ensure usb-drivers for Samsung phones are installed on your pc. E.g. by installing smartswitch on you pc.
No need to install anything.

If it's Windows, just go to Windows Update at some point after you connect the phone.

Click "Check for Updates" and/or go into "Optional Updates" and you'll find that the driver is waiting to be installed ON YOUR COMMAND.

Apr 27, 2018
If you can't find a solution quickly right now, then just use this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.primftpd&hl=en_US&gl=US

FE Explorer can also do something similar.

Or, Samsung Flow or something else.

Also, are you mostly trying this on Windows or something else?
Surely I wouldn't need an additional app to transfer files? I'm doing this on the latest build of Windows 10 21H2 and also on a Windows 11 laptop, my P20 Pro transfers just fine but the S21 Ultra doesn't read anything as something other than a charger.

Haunt3r

Surely I wouldn't need an additional app to transfer files? I'm doing this on the latest build of Windows 10 21H2 and also on a Windows 11 laptop, my P20 Pro transfers just fine but the S21 Ultra doesn't read anything as something other than a charger.
Do you have super display installed? I had an issue where I had super display installed and could not connect my phone for file transfer until I turned the super display service off in my services on Windows.

Oblox

Oct 8, 2012
Maidstone
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
If you're using a corporate windows you need to install the media feature pack. Otherwise just try a different cable, some don't work. I had the same issue when using my old huawei cable, used the one that came with s21u and was fine.

eaoosa

Aug 19, 2018
Just a quick question guys, does the S21 Ultra come with a USB 3 data speed cable or is that something I'd have to buy on amazon etc. Thanks.