• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Help][Guide][Philippines]SM-N9860 HK/TW/CH Snapdragon Users|5G Reception Fix

Search This thread

tribalfs

Mar 28, 2014
Also - does anyone have a list of 5G bands for Smart?
According to a document release from foi.gov.ph. But may not be accurate as with what they indicated for globe, aside from 78 maybe which is a more universal sub6 5G band.
The following are the mobile 5G bands being used in the Philippines from foi.gov.ph:
- Smart: 1, 3, 5, 8, 40, 41 and 78

Edit: Also 28 and 41 according to this article. All used in 5G CA, not clear though if these are interband or intraband CA.

Last edited:

syber shaman

Apr 25, 2014
Mine didn't. Bands were gone. I had to do the steps again to make them appear. Also as tribalfs said that we now have an option for NR5G CA. So maybe we can connect to multiple 5G bands now? I am still exploring the new UE settings menu to check if there are other changes.
I have a dual sim model and Smart shows 5g connection. My other sim is GoMo and I haven't seen it connect to 5g yet, but that can be attributed to the horrible reception in my location.

5g CA would be amazing! Hope something comes out of it.

fedoraghost

Jul 28, 2021
5G retained on my phone after this update.

Build Number : N9860ZSS2DUI1
Android version : R(Android 11)
Release Date : 2021-09-28
Security patch level : 2021-09-01
- The latest Android security patch has been applied.
- Device security has been further enhanced.

But didn't check the Settings if there's any changes. I'll have the experts investigate and revert their feedback :) Cheers!

kent800129

Feb 10, 2021
Here's what I got from my SM-N9810
Screenshot_20211028-234502_Service mode RIL.jpg

5G CA only N41A+N66AA, but there's no N66 on band selection
So my thought is there's no NR5G CA on this phone yet.

And here are the EN-DC 4G CAs in the Service Menu
Screenshot_20211028-234527_Service mode RIL.jpg

Screenshot_20211028-234541_Service mode RIL.jpg

johnkabou

Jan 7, 2011
TORONTO
Hello. I updated my phone to Android 12. The code to enter the menu does not work anymore (was working with Android 11). Does anybody know how to enter it now?

Reactions: alixra

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello. I updated my phone to Android 12. The code to enter the menu does not work anymore (was working with Android 11). Does anybody know how to enter it now?
    Try this. On UE Settings>Protocol>GCF>Remove NR Whitelisting. Then reboot. That's the first step I did.
    Hi! I created this thread for SM-N9860 HK/TW/CH variant users from Philippines.

The GOAL is to make our units work with our local carriers':
    • 4G Carrier Aggregation (4G CA) (i.e. 4G+/LTE-A).
    • 5G network
    and resolve any carrier related issues that you want to address.

First, I will share my personal experience with my unit using my Globe 5G enabled postpaid sim. My N20U 5G unit is from Hongkong with TGY (Hongkong) CSC.
    While on TGY, 4G CA and 5G on my unit were NOT working. I am only getting max 20mbps with 4G and not getting the 4G+ signal.
    Note: To check the existing CSC, go to settings > about phone > software info >service provider SW ver. You should see something like TGY/TGY,TGY/TGY.

However, I was able to change my CSC from TGY to BRI (Taiwan's CSC) using the procedures in this thread.
    I am now on BRI and I am glad that 4G CA is now working. I am already getting 70-125mbps on speedtest with it. Check this post on how to check 4G CA.

However, I have not tested the 5G signal yet as I am far from a 5G enabled location.
    It's noteworthy though that Taiwan telcos use 5G bands n78, n257 and LTE DSS which include that n78 5G band being used by telcos in the Philippines (source: List of 5G NR networks
    )
    I am hoping for fellows to hit this thread try this change and test if this will work on his/her network, hopefully on 5G network too.

UPDATES/SOLUTIONS

How to access ServiceMode menu on pre-OneUI 3.0
    1. Install Google Phone app from Play Store and set it as default dialer.
    2. Open Google Phone app and key in *#*#27663368378#*#*

How to access ServiceMode menu on OneUI 3.0/3.1
    I just saw a method for opening the menu again for Android 11. I saw this on the US thread. :)

Just check the code on my N9810 BRI
    This method only works on Qualcomm versions
    I use *#*#276633683782#*#* on Google phone dialer
    and it brings up a service mode screen.

Press [5] RF Test and choose [2] PREF MODE SET
    (or other options also works )
    It will show Please use *#2263# for mode set
    Then just tap three dots on right top menu and choose back
    It will bring you back to the main menu.

by kent800129

I can finally go to UE settings with this.

Enabling 5G Stand Alone mode
    Go to UE SETTING&INFO -> SETTING -> PROTOCOL -> NR5G -> NR5G SA/NSA Mode Control > SA/NSA ENABLE Exit

Solution to make 5G work in PH (also works in some countries with compatible 5G bands)
    Try this. On UE Settings>Protocol>GCF>Remove NR Whitelisting. Then reboot. That's the first step I did.

Unhide/Enable 5GNR bands 3 and 28
    Hi there,
    Please go to [2] UE Settings >> [2]System
    On the last page choose [1] SET LTE BAND CONFIG
    Then click on [1] SET DEFAULT LTE BAND
    Reboot your phone and check again the available NR bands.

How to check what 5G bands are enabled
    4. Go to UE SETTING&INFO -> SETTING -> PROTOCOL -> NAS -> NETWORK CONTROL -> BAND SELECTION -> BAND SELECTION SIM * -> NR5G Band Preference -> (enabled ones are marked with asterisks)

If not yet enabled, select each then -> GO MAIN -> APPLY BAND CONFIGURATION. Exit then reboot

Better 4G Carrier Aggregation (4G+)
    UE Settings>System>Diversity Control Menu>LTE Diversity Control>LTE 4RX ALL Enable.

Note: You may need to redo the above procedures after software updates.

5G Bands Supported by the device
    Bands 1, 3, 28, 41, 78 and 79

5G Bands in PH
    The following are the mobile 5G bands being used in the Philippines from foi.gov.ph:

- Smart: 1, 3, 5, 8, 40, 41 and 78
    Update: According to this article in smart website, they are using NR28, NR41 and NR78 with 5G CA.

- Globe: 1, 3, 8, 28, 40, 41
    Update: According to Globe's website, they are using NR41 and NR78
    View attachment 5327677

-DITO: 1, 28, 34, 41, 78

The 5GNR bands missing is in N9860 are 5, 8, 34 and 40. Theoretically, our device should work in 5G sites utilizing 5GNR bands 1, 3, 28, 41 and 78 which our device is capable of. Otherwise, 5G will not work.

[/B]

Enable DITO Internet and VoLTE to enable call and sms
    Add the following DITO's IMS APN (in addition to internet APN)

DITO IMS APN:
    Name: IMS
    APN: ims
    MCC: 515
    MNC: 66
    APN type: ims
    APN protocol: IPv4/IPv6
    APN roaming protocol: IPv4/IPv6

---------------------------
    DITO INTERNET APN:
    Name: DITO Internet
    APN: internet.dito.ph

Update: Confirmed working on TGY and BRI

Video Guide:

xUtsumi and kent800129.....Greetings form the UK

Huge thank you to your both. :)(y):D:p:p:cool:

I had almost givem up with this dam phone. Although it is my wife's , no 5g had stopped me importing one for myself.

In the UK this phone got 5g on networks Vodafone and Three but not on god dam EE which is the biggest UK network.

I am going to link your post in the other thread!

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou
    It was a consolidated effort. :) Also the only necessary part on enabling 5G is the first part. I just included the next 2 parts to increase signal strength and diversity stuff. Although I don't understand what they do fully, I've researched a little and enabling them will not hurt battery life while increasing the strength of signal. Correct me if I'm wrong on this. :D
    Hope this solution helps others on this thread. :) Thanks @kent800129 for the idea. We can finally enjoy 5G. Hahaha.
    xUtsumi and kent800129.....Greetings form the UK

Huge thank you to you both. :)(y):D:p:p:cool:

I had almost given up with this dam phone. Although it is my wife's , no 5g had stopped me importing one for myself.

In the UK this phone got 5g on networks Vodafone and Three but not on god dam EE, which is the biggest UK network.

I am going to link your post in the other thread!

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou
    Hope this solution helps others on this thread. :) Thanks @kent800129 for the idea. We can finally enjoy 5G. Hahaha.