[Help][Guide][Philippines]SM-N9860 HK/TW/CH Snapdragon Users

Search This thread

77cats

May 30, 2010
Bournemouth
I have a 5G on/off toggle in my quick settings menu. I assumed it would do as advertised. I'm not sure that it does anything except prevent the 5G indicator being displayed. It doesn't appear to change network connectivity or performance in any way for my phone.

Specifically, today I turned off 5G for testing coverage and speed using nPerf. With 5G "disabled" nPerf still identified 5G service exactly where I would expect to find it. On my return journey I ran speed tests every five seconds as I drove back home. The speed test identifies the connection type and reported 5G connections even though the phone displayed no better than 4G+. Actual speeds achieved were in line with the speeds obtained with 5G enabled (302Mbps max so far) , but not very different from 4G+ speeds (200+Mbps) before I had 5G working.

It all seems a bit smoke and mirrors to me.
I have the same thoughts so far. Impossible to disable 5G network mode (no matter what the phone or apps show) and the extra speed isn't much compared to 4G+ while it has an extra battery cost (when it can't be disabled).

I get about 90-160mbps with a good 4G+ signal, 110-320mbps on 5G. For browsing and 4K streaming, 4G+ is sufficient for me so far. 5G does give it an extra edge though, it definitely gives faster loading times and less buffering.

I won't do this yet on the phone I have coming today (I'll monitor my battery use first) but it was good to know we can. 😊

77cats

May 30, 2010
Bournemouth
I moved from the Note 20 Ultra to a S21 Ultra today and most obviously, I've just enabled 5G. Once again it was a fairly easy process. The phone had the last updates, so Android 11 with One UI 3.1.

The astonishing thing is that this time, I can revert to a 4G networks mode as I want. Even the 5G switch works!
It's confusing (is it the phone or have I done something different?), but so satisfying.

Edit - -
Obviously, I've checked the connection speed, on fast.com.

I moved from the Note 20 Ultra to a S21 Ultra today and most obviously, I've just enabled 5G. Once again it was a fairly easy process. The phone had the last updates, so Android 11 with One UI 3.1.

The astonishing thing is that this time, I can revert to a 4G networks mode as I want. Even the 5G switch works!
It's confusing (is it the phone or have I done something different?), but so satisfying.

Edit - -
Weird. I just tried on mine and toggling 5G disables 5G for me completely. Idk let me check UE settings. I guess I did something else.

bocsta

Jan 24, 2007
London

Edit - -

Did you have to go in to UE settings using Google dialer to enable 5g ?
No 5g out of the box ?

77cats

May 30, 2010
Bournemouth
Did you have to go in to UE settings using Google dialer to enable 5g ?
No 5g out of the box ?
Yes. That's a Hong Kong version. It worked perfectly with the S21U, UK network. I can enable or disable 5G network mode at will.

On the N20U, it's stuck on 5G/4G/3G/2G mode after doing the UE manipulations. I think the only step I haven't done on this one was the enabling of all LTE bands on step 3 - but 5G still got enabled after that, after removing the NR whitelisting.

Weird. I just tried on mine and toggling 5G disables 5G for me completely. Idk let me check UE settings. I guess I did something else.

Yes, that works just as well on the S21U, which is great. 😄

bocsta

Jan 24, 2007
London
Yes. That's a Hong Kong version. It worked perfectly with the S21U, UK network. I can enable or disable 5G network mode at will.

On the N20U, it's stuck on 5G/4G/3G/2G mode after doing the UE manipulations. I think the only step I haven't done on this one was the enabling of all LTE bands on step 3 - but 5G still got enabled after that, after removing the NR whitelisting.

Yes, that works just as well on the S21U, which is great. 😄

Ok just to confirm, on the S21U, you used google dialer to access the UE service menu and remove whitelist which enabled 5g on the non whitelist UK networks (like EE I'd imagine) ?

Are you still using both the N20U and S21U ? Thoughts, comments, preferences ?

77cats

May 30, 2010
Bournemouth
Ok just to confirm, on the S21U, you used google dialer to access the UE service menu and remove whitelist which enabled 5g on the non whitelist UK networks (like EE I'd imagine) ?

Are you still using both the N20U and S21U ? Thoughts, comments, preferences ?
Yes, full steps from Google dialer to removing NR whitelisting. EE UK!

I prefer the S21, it's actually a nice step up for the camera, battery works well as well. I just prefer the square style of the Note but fingers crossed for the Note 22.

cgyap2

Mar 10, 2007
So just a quick update: my S20FE just got updated with April security patch. 5G no longer works (surprise!) and I can no longer access UE settings through Google Dialer. Is it the same for Note series after a new security patch?
I have the Note 20 Ultra HK variant & have to do the 5g patch as well to get 5g in the Philippines, I recently got the April update as well & one thing that did happen after the patch is 5g stopped working again as it looks like patch had reverted back 2 settings

1 - SA is disabled again thus I have to re-enable both SA/NSA
2 - NR whitelist - have to disable it again

I did observe though that the patch did not touch the bands 3 & 28 as they remain to be active thus I do not have to re-configure that again.

Bottom line - yes it had reverted some parts of the 5g patch but I can still configure them back again through the CSC menu in google dialer & get 5g working again

I have the Note 20 Ultra HK variant & have to do the 5g patch as well to get 5g in the Philippines, I recently got the April update as well & one thing that did happen after the patch is 5g stopped working again as it looks like patch had reverted back 2 settings

1 - SA is disabled again thus I have to re-enable both SA/NSA
2 - NR whitelist - have to disable it again

I did observe though that the patch did not touch the bands 3 & 28 as they remain to be active thus I do not have to re-configure that again.

Bottom line - yes it had reverted some parts of the 5g patch but I can still configure them back again through the CSC menu in google dialer & get 5g working again
Any changelog for April update?

chrisaw

Jun 12, 2007
Edinburgh
Having some problems after the April patch getting back in to service mode. I can get the menu to open but it's literally an empty list.

Any ideas guys? :)

UPDATE: Please disregard - for anyone else facing this issue - I had "debloated" some "Test*" applications on my device which appear to be required. I re-added these APKs (were only disabled by "System Debloater" magisk module for me) and it works perfectly. Oops!!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Try this. On UE Settings>Protocol>GCF>Remove NR Whitelisting. Then reboot. That's the first step I did.
    xUtsumi and kent800129.....Greetings form the UK

Huge thank you to your both. :)(y):D:p:p:cool:

I had almost givem up with this dam phone. Although it is my wife's , no 5g had stopped me importing one for myself.

In the UK this phone got 5g on networks Vodafone and Three but not on god dam EE which is the biggest UK network.

I am going to link your post in the other thread!

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou
    It was a consolidated effort. :) Also the only necessary part on enabling 5G is the first part. I just included the next 2 parts to increase signal strength and diversity stuff. Although I don't understand what they do fully, I've researched a little and enabling them will not hurt battery life while increasing the strength of signal. Correct me if I'm wrong on this. :D
    Hope this solution helps others on this thread. :) Thanks @kent800129 for the idea. We can finally enjoy 5G. Hahaha.
    xUtsumi and kent800129.....Greetings form the UK

Huge thank you to you both. :)(y):D:p:p:cool:

I had almost given up with this dam phone. Although it is my wife's , no 5g had stopped me importing one for myself.

In the UK this phone got 5g on networks Vodafone and Three but not on god dam EE, which is the biggest UK network.

I am going to link your post in the other thread!

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou
    Hi! I created this thread for SM-N9860 HK/TW/CH variant users from Philippines.

The GOAL is to make our units work with our local carriers':
    1. 4G Carrier Aggregation (4G CA) (i.e. 4G+/LTE-A).
    2. 5G network
    3. Other carrier related issues that you want to address, if any.

First, I will share my personal experience with my unit using my Globe 5G enabled postpaid sim. My N20U 5G unit is from Hongkong with TGY (Hongkong) CSC.
    While on TGY, 4G CA and 5G on my unit were NOT working. I am only getting max 20mbps with 4G and not getting the 4G+ signal.
    Note: To check the existing CSC, go to settings > about phone > software info >service provider SW ver. You should see something like TGY/TGY,TGY/TGY.

However, I was able to change my CSC from TGY to BRI (Taiwan's CSC) using the procedures in this thread.
    I am now on BRI and I am glad that 4G CA is now working. I am already getting 70-125mbps on speedtest with it. Check this post on how to check 4G CA.

However, I have not tested the 5G signal yet as I am far from a 5G enabled location.
    It's noteworthy though that Taiwan telcos use 5G bands n78, n257 and LTE DSS which include that n78 5G band being used by telcos in the Philippines (source: List of 5G NR networks
    )
    I am hoping for fellows to hit this thread try this change and test if this will work on his/her network, hopefully on 5G network too.

Update: Please check this post.
    Yes I just tested this on EE UK and now 5G is working on TGY firmware :)
    Awesome! Finally our problems are solved. We can finally fully enjoy our Snapdragon Dual Sim Note 20 Ultra. Why Samsung made it hard for us to do this idk but at least now we can fully enjoy all its features. :D
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone