[Help][Guide][Philippines]SM-N9860 TGY/BRI/CHC Snapdragon Users|5G Reception Fix|Updated Guide for OneUI4.0

Search This thread

vu tien hai

Account currently disabled
Apr 23, 2016
GB
meettomy.site
We have the same phone model and I already researched about this and there's no way to unlock n78 on U1. The modem is hardware configured and there is no n78 on it even you put the configuration files nothing will change since it won't detect the required band.
So sad, but i think this is software problem. Because on One UI 3.1 (Android 11) and lower, i see many people can enable this band by service mode. And on One UI 4.0 (Android 12), Samsung locked this method.

Reactions: fsmeurinne

Romeo Nickolas

Jun 16, 2022
So sad, but i think this is software problem. Because on One UI 3.1 (Android 11) and lower, i see many people can enable this band by service mode. And on One UI 4.0 (Android 12), Samsung locked this method.
I already tried all posible software fix including that. And there's still no n78 on 986U1 it only works on 9860 model.
Can you send me the link where you saw those people who unlocked the n78?

fsmeurinne

Mar 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
This is quite an interesting thread. I'm on O2 in the UK and have the US note 20, sometimes my phone shows 5G which doesn't make sense since n78 is not supported by the U1 model. Can someone explain it?
I'd love to whitelist other bands...
It will show that there is a 5G network available but it's not actually connected as 5G, it's only LTE+ This will show if you use an app like NetMonster.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220722-102718_NetMonster.jpg
    Screenshot_20220722-102718_NetMonster.jpg
    474.5 KB · Views: 61

fsmeurinne

Mar 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I already tried all posible software fix including that. And there's still no n78 on 986U1 it only works on 9860 model.
Can you send me the link where you saw those people who unlocked the n78?
It was fone using a code to get to the UE settings on Android 11 I also chrcked it. unfortunately with Android 12 this code no longer works, so no way to do it. Been searching everywhere.

Romeo Nickolas

Jun 16, 2022
My nephew has a redmi 5G phone and it shows the EARFCN of an n41 5G band so I'm shocked because I don't really need to unlock the n78 on my phone because n41 is already supported. But the problem is I still didn't get 5G signal. Maybe it is software configured on US telco only?
My friend will soon buy a samsung 5G phone with snapdragon chipset here in the Philippines so maybe I can get the required files using QPST tool. I'll update my post if I successfuly activate my 5G with n41 band.

Romeo Nickolas

Jun 16, 2022
It was fone using a code to get to the UE settings on Android 11 I also chrcked it. unfortunately with Android 12 this code no longer works, so no way to do it. Been searching everywhere.
I downgraded my phone to android 11 again coz i hope i will get the n41 signal but the problem is not the phone it's the signal in my area.
And to confirm what I have told you that there's no way to unlock the n78 band since it's hardware configured.
Here's the screenshot what will be unlocked after accessing the UE settings.
Screenshot_20220723-180435_Service mode RIL.jpgScreenshot_20220723-180442_Service mode RIL.jpg
It only unlocks n12 and n25 there's no n78.

kountry83

Mar 5, 2011
Baytown
This error comes up when I do step 6. Is there a way to fix this?

EDIT: If i press no it says
"This target indicates that it does not support file subsystem 19" and
"This target indicates that it does not support file subsystem 62" and
"This phone probably does not support this file subsystem. If no files are displayed, this is likely the reason"
Then EFS does not display any file.
View attachment 5516265
I'm getting this same thing but it odd because I can view the efs for the 5g modem but not the regular modem. I installed the drivers from the link as well.

Romeo Nickolas

Jun 16, 2022
I'm sorry I should have explained. I have a s10 5g with x50 modem. So it has separate modems.
On my experience if sprint sim is inserted on my unlocked samsung I can't access the efs. So try to insert other sim especially international sim even if it is expired. So it will make the CSC XAA not SPR or any other US CSC.

intheb0x

Dec 8, 2007
Racine WI
OnePlus 8
You know I never had problems with my OnePlus 8 connecting to PCAT or QPS t but this stupid s20 ultra is going to get slammed against the freaking wall repeatedly.

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong and every time I try to start it and qPST you keep saying that stupid error about the file system. That the phone doesn't have a embedded file system.

HELP HELP HELP

It's ridiculous and there's no guides or help me files for it no decent write-ups everything's pieced around the internet in little pieces here and there ,ITS RIDICULOUS

so so I enabled usb debugger on developer first before the 0808 stuff?
Then what I get the same error ..com5.

intheb0x

Dec 8, 2007
Racine WI
OnePlus 8
Can anyone help me with the drivers please I don't know what to install them under everyone says just install the Samsung drivers well that's not working I keep getting that there's not an embedded file system in QPS t I manually install drivers from the Qualcomm diagnostics or whatever and I get the Snapdragon modem and everything to show up but it just won't connect can somebody tell me the right way to install it that guy does not work for me I keep getting that the embedded file system is not available or it's not there the same thing that other guy was talking about the problem he had he said he reinstalled the drivers with new ones and it worked well I used the newest ones and they didn't work I've uninstalled I reinstalled I'm at my wits ends I'm ready to throw this thing against the wall

Romeo Nickolas

Jun 16, 2022
Can anyone help me with the drivers please I don't know what to install them under everyone says just install the Samsung drivers well that's not working I keep getting that there's not an embedded file system in QPS t I manually install drivers from the Qualcomm diagnostics or whatever and I get the Snapdragon modem and everything to show up but it just won't connect can somebody tell me the right way to install it that guy does not work for me I keep getting that the embedded file system is not available or it's not there the same thing that other guy was talking about the problem he had he said he reinstalled the drivers with new ones and it worked well I used the newest ones and they didn't work I've uninstalled I reinstalled I'm at my wits ends I'm ready to throw this thing against the wall
Have you tried all the suggestions in the comments here?
If you're on 5G open the port with X55 on the phone label.
Try to remove your sim or try another sim before doing this because some telcos blocked the access of efs.
What's the exact model of your phone?

intheb0x

Dec 8, 2007
Racine WI
OnePlus 8
Sm-g988u1

Here's the thing also isn't removing the sim pointless because when you have to insert the Sim you want to use all the settings you just changed revert back.

Sorry for sounding crazy I'm just at my wits end with this thing it's been nothing but problems I bet the stupid Sim is blocking it because it blocks everything else every damn cold is blocked too but with the OnePlus 8 if I go in there and change things and then I switch Sims then all the settings revert if I change carrier policy or anything all the settings go right back to the way they were when I change Sims.

Romeo Nickolas

Jun 16, 2022
Sm-g988u1

Here's the thing also isn't removing the sim pointless because when you have to insert the Sim you want to use all the settings you just changed revert back.

Sorry for sounding crazy I'm just at my wits end with this thing it's been nothing but problems I bet the stupid Sim is blocking it because it blocks everything else every damn cold is blocked too but with the OnePlus 8 if I go in there and change things and then I switch Sims then all the settings revert if I change carrier policy or anything all the settings go right back to the way they were when I change Sims.
Try all posible fix first before thinking other problems because your issue here is you can't access the efs.
There's a carrier policy file here that won't update the csc if you change sim. Try to read all thread comments most of the answers are already here.

intheb0x

Dec 8, 2007
Racine WI
OnePlus 8
Try all posible fix first before thinking other problems because your issue here is you can't access the efs.
There's a carrier policy file here that won't update the csc if you change sim. Try to read all thread comments most of the answers are already here.
You talking about the device config file I seen that in my OnePlus 8 in the carrier policy area and you just change the true until false right and then the update doesn't happen does that really work?

I've been up for over 24 hours straight messing with this phone I can't do anymore I'll have to do it when I feel like it I'm just totally burnt out with this thing but I appreciate the help and I bet it's the sim blocking it because there's no other reason why it's not working

When you install the drivers do you just install the Samsung drivers on their own and it works or do you have to manually install them with the have disk option in the device manager like I did?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi! I created this thread for SM-N9860 HK/TW/CH variant users from Philippines.

The GOAL is to make our units work with our local carriers':
    • 4G Carrier Aggregation (4G CA) (i.e. 4G+/LTE-A).
    • 5G network
    and resolve any carrier related issues that you want to address.

First, I will share my personal experience with my unit using my Globe 5G enabled postpaid sim. My N20U 5G unit is from Hongkong with TGY (Hongkong) CSC.
    While on TGY, 4G CA and 5G on my unit were NOT working. I am only getting max 20mbps with 4G and not getting the 4G+ signal.
    Note: To check the existing CSC, go to settings > about phone > software info >service provider SW ver. You should see something like TGY/TGY,TGY/TGY.

However, I was able to change my CSC from TGY to BRI (Taiwan's CSC) using the procedures in this thread.
    I am now on BRI and I am glad that 4G CA is now working. I am already getting 70-125mbps on speedtest with it. Check this post on how to check 4G CA.

However, I have not tested the 5G signal yet as I am far from a 5G enabled location.
    It's noteworthy though that Taiwan telcos use 5G bands n78, n257 and LTE DSS which include that n78 5G band being used by telcos in the Philippines (source: List of 5G NR networks
    )
    I am hoping for fellows to hit this thread try this change and test if this will work on his/her network, hopefully on 5G network too.

UPDATES/SOLUTIONS

How to access ServiceMode menu on pre-OneUI 3.0
    1. Install Google Phone app from Play Store and set it as default dialer.
    2. Open Google Phone app and key in *#*#27663368378#*#*

How to access ServiceMode menu on OneUI 3.0/3.1
    I just saw a method for opening the menu again for Android 11. I saw this on the US thread. :)

Just check the code on my N9810 BRI
    This method only works on Qualcomm versions
    I use *#*#276633683782#*#* on Google phone dialer
    and it brings up a service mode screen.

Press [5] RF Test and choose [2] PREF MODE SET
    (or other options also works )
    It will show Please use *#2263# for mode set
    Then just tap three dots on right top menu and choose back
    It will bring you back to the main menu.

by kent800129

I can finally go to UE settings with this.

Enabling 5G Stand Alone mode
    Go to UE SETTING&INFO -> SETTING -> PROTOCOL -> NR5G -> NR5G SA/NSA Mode Control > SA/NSA ENABLE Exit

Solution to make 5G work in PH (also works in some countries with compatible 5G bands)
    Try this. On UE Settings>Protocol>GCF>Remove NR Whitelisting. Then reboot. That's the first step I did.

Unhide/Enable 5GNR bands 3 and 28
    Hi there,
    Please go to [2] UE Settings >> [2]System
    On the last page choose [1] SET LTE BAND CONFIG
    Then click on [1] SET DEFAULT LTE BAND
    Reboot your phone and check again the available NR bands.

How to check what 5G bands are enabled
    4. Go to UE SETTING&INFO -> SETTING -> PROTOCOL -> NAS -> NETWORK CONTROL -> BAND SELECTION -> BAND SELECTION SIM * -> NR5G Band Preference -> (enabled ones are marked with asterisks)

If not yet enabled, select each then -> GO MAIN -> APPLY BAND CONFIGURATION. Exit then reboot

Better 4G Carrier Aggregation (4G+)
    UE Settings>System>Diversity Control Menu>LTE Diversity Control>LTE 4RX ALL Enable.

Note: You may need to redo the above procedures after software updates.

5G Bands Supported by the device
    Bands 1, 3, 28, 41, 78 and 79

5G Bands in PH
    The following are the mobile 5G bands being used in the Philippines from foi.gov.ph:

- Smart: 1, 3, 5, 8, 40, 41 and 78
    Update: According to this article in smart website, they are using NR28, NR41 and NR78 with 5G CA.

- Globe: 1, 3, 8, 28, 40, 41
    Update: According to Globe's website, they are using NR41 and NR78
    View attachment 5327677

-DITO: 1, 28, 34, 41, 78

The 5GNR bands missing is in N9860 are 5, 8, 34 and 40. Theoretically, our device should work in 5G sites utilizing 5GNR bands 1, 3, 28, 41 and 78 which our device is capable of. Otherwise, 5G will not work.

[/B]

You can also check enabled bands using this app (already blocked by Samsung in June 2022 update)

Enable DITO Internet and VoLTE to enable call and sms

Add the following DITO's IMS APN (in addition to internet APN)

DITO IMS APN:
    Name: IMS
    APN: ims
    MCC: 515
    MNC: 66
    APN type: ims
    APN protocol: IPv4/IPv6
    APN roaming protocol: IPv4/IPv6

---------------------------
    DITO INTERNET APN:
    Name: DITO Internet
    APN: internet.dito.ph

Update: Confirmed working on TGY and BRI

METHODS FOR ONEUI4.0

Here it is.

Windows PC required.

Preparation

1. Install samsung usb driver from here.

2. Install Qualcomm QPST tool from here.

3. On your phone's stock dialer, dial *#0808#, select RNDIS + DM + MODEM (+ ADB) and click OK. This enables your phone's diagnostic mode needed to access phone's EFS files.

4. Connect your phone to the USB port of your pc.

5. Open QPST Configuration installed on your PC. Go to Active Phone tab and check if your phone already appears. If not yet, do the ff:

- Go to Ports tab and Click on the Add new Port button at the bottom.

- You can see the list of ports. Select the one that says SAMSUNG Mobile USB Serial Port. If more than one appears, you can add them both. But It's usually the COM5 port.

- Once you select this you can see the Active Phone tab the connected phone. There should be non-zero ESN value on the correct port.

6. Go to Start Clients menu and click EFS Explorer. Select the correct port and click Ok. Wait for EFS Explorer to finish loading.

7. Once loaded, ensure that Exclusive Access is checked under Phone menu.

Removing 4G Carrier Aggregation (CA) pruning/limitation to improve 4G+detection
    - In EFS Explorer, navigate to nv/ item_files/modem/lte/rrc/cap and delete prune_ca_combos and prune_ca_combos_Subscription01 files.

Info: These 2 files limits the 4G CA that our device can do. The 2nd file is for SIM2. Some of our telcos 4G CA combinations are not included in these files. Deleting them removes the limitation.

Update: This stopped working after a certain update.
    Fix 5G Reception

L2 are config files for layer 2 of 5G protocol stack. The other directories are a ML1 (for layer 1) and RRC (for layer 3, which contains the CA control files for 5G. ). Think of them as rules implemented by samsung. Other files that I changed using QPST are the ff for those interested (use Copy data file from PC):

IMPORTANT: Always backup the original files that you will be replacing or deleting.

• carrier_policy.xml and carrier_policy.xml_Subscription01 : added 5G Stand Alone bands for PH telcos. SA bands are disabled by default even if NSA/SA is selected in dev menu.

• policies.xml : updated so that changes on the above files will not reset on sim change.

• lte_feature_restrictions.xml : added PH telcos to the Dynamic Spectrum Share (DSS) network list

• also deleted policyman/persistent_items to refresh the contents

• edit: also deleted cap_prune and cap_prune_Subscription0 files inside nv/item_files/modem/nr5G/RRC (layer 3). This removes defined limitation on 5G CA.
    Don't know which worked, just sharing.

You can check the enabled bands on your phone using this
    app
    The good thing though is that it seems that we do not anymore need to manually remove the NR whitelisting on SM-N9860. 5G now works right out-of-the-box on the latest firmware even after performing factory reset on the device .
    Try this. On UE Settings>Protocol>GCF>Remove NR Whitelisting. Then reboot. That's the first step I did.
    xUtsumi and kent800129.....Greetings form the UK

Huge thank you to your both. :)(y):D:p:p:cool:

I had almost givem up with this dam phone. Although it is my wife's , no 5g had stopped me importing one for myself.

In the UK this phone got 5g on networks Vodafone and Three but not on god dam EE which is the biggest UK network.

I am going to link your post in the other thread!

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou
    It was a consolidated effort. :) Also the only necessary part on enabling 5G is the first part. I just included the next 2 parts to increase signal strength and diversity stuff. Although I don't understand what they do fully, I've researched a little and enabling them will not hurt battery life while increasing the strength of signal. Correct me if I'm wrong on this. :D
    Here it is.

Windows PC required.

Preparation

1. Install samsung usb driver from here.

2. Install Qualcomm QPST tool from here.

3. On your phone's stock dialer, dial *#0808#, select RNDIS + DM + MODEM (+ ADB) and click OK. This enables your phone's diagnostic mode needed to access phone's EFS files.

4. Connect your phone to the USB port of your pc.

5. Open QPST Configuration installed on your PC. Go to Active Phone tab and check if your phone already appears. If not yet, do the ff:

- Go to Ports tab and Click on the Add new Port button at the bottom.

- You can see the list of ports. Select the one that says SAMSUNG Mobile USB Serial Port. If more than one appears, you can add them both. But It's usually the COM5 port.

- Once you select this you can see the Active Phone tab the connected phone. There should be non-zero ESN value on the correct port.

6. Go to Start Clients menu and click EFS Explorer. Select the correct port and click Ok. Wait for EFS Explorer to finish loading.

7. Once loaded, ensure that Exclusive Access is checked under Phone menu.

Removing 4G Carrier Aggregation (CA) pruning/limitation to improve 4G+detection
    - In EFS Explorer, navigate to nv/ item_files/modem/lte/rrc/cap and delete prune_ca_combos and prune_ca_combos_Subscription01 files.

Info: These 2 files limits the 4G CA that our device can do. The 2nd file is for SIM2. Some of our telcos 4G CA combinations are not included in these files. Deleting them removes the limitation.

Other stuff you can do:

Remove 5G CA pruning/limitation
    - In EFS Explorer, navigate to /nv/item_files/modem/nr5g/RRC/ and delete cap_prune and cap_prune_Subscription01 files.

Enabling VoNR guide here
    (but I am not sure if our telco here already implemented VoNR. This is similar to VoLTE but for 5G)

Some guides and tweaks using QPST for qualcomm modems can be found in https://band.radio/

Hope we can find out how to remove GCF NR whiltelist soon.
    5G working on mine with oneui4.0. 5G is new on my location, just saw this now. And I am a bit surprise that I have it on my device. Although I changed some EFS files on my device using QPST few days agoI'll share soon.

View attachment 5521715 View attachment 5521721

What does deleting the entire L2 directory do?

If delete L2 directory with QPST tool

Removed NR Whitelisting in GCF?

L2 are config files for layer 2 of 5G protocol stack. The other directories are a ML1 (for layer 1) and RRC (for layer 3, which contains the CA control files for 5G. ). Think of them as rules implemented by samsung. Other files that I changed using QPST are the ff for those interested (use Copy data file from PC):

IMPORTANT: Always backup the original files that you will be replacing or deleting.
    • carrier_policy.xml and carrier_policy.xml_Subscription01 : added 5G Stand Alone bands for PH telcos. SA bands are disabled by default even if NSA/SA is selected in dev menu.

• policies.xml : updated so that changes on the above files will not reset on sim change.

• lte_feature_restrictions.xml : added PH telcos to the Dynamic Spectrum Share (DSS) network list

• also deleted policyman/persistent_items to refresh the contents

• edit: also deleted cap_prune and cap_prune_Subscription0 files inside nv/item_files/modem/nr5G/RRC (layer 3). This removes defined limitation on 5G CA.
    Don't know which worked, just sharing.

You can check the enabled bands on your phone using this
    app