• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

help installing twrp and then stock rom on top

Search This thread

ZAFAR-

Feb 12, 2014
Hello,

Can someone help me with some instructions to install twrp and then flash either stock rom or custom rom. I want to have twrp as the recovery so i can flash things in the future and also make twrp backups.

Im running stock 8.1 beta with unlocked bootloader

I know there are guides out there but all of them are 2-3 months old. Since then we've had the 8.1 beta.

Any help will be much appreciated.

tech_head

Nov 22, 2007
California
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hello,

Can someone help me with some instructions to install twrp and then flash either stock rom or custom rom. I want to have twrp as the recovery so i can flash things in the future and also make twrp backups.

I know there are guides out there but all of them are 2-3 months old. Since then we've had the 8.1 beta.

You can't.
There is no TWRP for 8.1 so it isn't possible.
This phone has no traditional recovery. Recovery is part of boot.
That means that the boot image needs to be patched for tarp and still be able to boot the system.
Currently, or at least until 8.1 is no longer beta you will not see a tarp that can stay permanently and coexist with 8.1.

Reactions: sd_shadow

Airwolf79

Mar 3, 2011
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 9
Hello,

If you wanna flash a custom ROM, you can use TWRP (LOS 15.1 and AOSIP are both 8.1 ROMs that can be flashed with TWRP), but I suggest you get very comfortable with ADB and fastboot BEFORE you wipe your phone. As Tech_head said, TWRP gets flashed to the boot, not recovery, so you have to flash TWRP with fastboot each time you want to boot into it, it won't stick.
This phone is not real friendly for flashaholics. Also, be prepared to lose EVERYTHING on your phone if you start flashing custom ROMs, because if you start having problems or want to flash back to stock, you're going to need to wipe all your data (fastboot -w) (this wipes all your media too!). In fact, if you want to flash a custom ROM, you should wipe everything anyway, and don't count on TWRP being able to complete a nandroid backup or restore one. I haven't been able to once. Good luck, this phone's a *****!

Reactions: gimpy1

gimpy1

Sep 1, 2013
Flagstaff
Airwolf79, I am a "semi" flashaholic.. I flash updates and different roms, sometimes three or four times a week. I have always used twrp and titanium backup to do so, which makes it very easy to do so. Essential does not let you use this process? That is the gist of what I have been getting on these essential threads.

When you said it was a "b***h", is that a good or bad thing?:confused:, I'm an old guy and really don't understand your meaning. I was about ready (and may still) pull the trigger on this phone. But, I need to know what I am getting into.:).

I want to get a good rootable phone (Verizon), but they are getting very pricey if I go off contract (lg v30, pixel 2).

I really am not understanding the "adb", "fast boot", and"side load" process. Is it that much more of a difficult or time consuming process than using twrp?

Is the use of a computer mandatory?

Thx.

Last edited:

Airwolf79

Mar 3, 2011
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 9
Airwolf79, I am a "semi" flashaholic.. I flash updates and different roms, sometimes three or four times a week. I have always used twrp and titanium backup to do so, which makes it very easy to do so. Essential does not let you use this process? That is the gist of what I have been getting on these essential threads.

When you said it was a "b***h", is that a good or bad thing?:confused:, I'm an old guy and really don't understand your meaning. I was about ready (and may still) pull the trigger on this phone. But, I need to know what I am getting into.:).

I want to get a good rootable phone (Verizon), but they are getting very pricey if I go off contract (lg v30, pixel 2).

I really am not understanding the "adb", "fast boot", and"side load" process. Is it that much more of a difficult or time consuming process than using twrp?

Thx.

Its not that Essential is blocking any development of TWRP. Development for this phone, and all A/B partition phones for that matter, are really minimal right now, but especially the Essential because so few units were sold. Until Project Treble really gets going and more manufacturers start shipping A/B partition devices, you won't see much development for this phone. Eventually, someone will solve the issues with TWRP, but I doubt well ever see a lot of custom ROMs. When I say this phone's a *****, it's because of the issues with TWRP more than anything. Dirty flashing isn't working for me on AOSIP, Nandroid backups don't work, and flashing firmware can only be done using fastboot AFAIK (yes, with a computer). If you're not computer savvy, then you better pass on this phone if you want to run custom ROMs. It's a great phone even stock though, so up to you if you can settle for stock or u wanna learn more about ADB and fastboot, it's worth it IMO. If u want a phone recent that has good development, go with the OnePlus 5T, but even that phone can be a bit tricky for flashing, as I said, TWRP is not very compatible with Oreo 8.1 yet for any phone. You have to disable your pin/fingerprint each time you boot TWRP because they haven't figured out how to decrypt 8.1 yet. This is all common knowledge if you follow the development threads for these phones. The old days of flashing five ROMs in a day are over man, at least for the time being.

Skripka

Dec 17, 2011
Postulo forklift ad portandum iste

Thx.

A) LG phones are not root friendly. Only certain SKUs of any model (1 in maybe 8) can even bootloader unlock. Indeed, even rooting is problematic and only the result of security "flaws". If you are a flash-a-holic, you definitely don't want an LG. Or a Samsung, or any phone sold with carrier-specific hardware or firmware....IIRC the Samsung S8 took a calendar year to root.

B) The technical hurdle here on the Essential is also present on Pixel phones. Getting a Pixel will not free you from this.

The A/B partition scheme and boot layout is shared by Pixel and Essential. The easy flashing processes went away with the Nexus program. A/B isn't that bad-but you must learn fastboot and ADB commands. There aren't a whole lot of common one you really need, but you need familiarity with the toolset.

Last edited:

Neez333

Sep 14, 2015
MINNEAPOLIS
OnePlus 8

Thx.

I mean no offense by this at all but one would think even a "semi-flashoholic" would be fairly well versed with Fastboot and ADB. Im curious how you have much experience with twrp if you dont know what those two things mean. Unless of course youre coming from an S3 or something and especially someone thats on verizons network. Theyve been pretty famously against unlocking bootloaders since i can remember. Also, it doesnt matter if youre buying off contract or get your phone through your carrier. Youre going to pay the same price in the long run either which way, and contrary to many believers that are stuck in that mind set of "they used to give free phones away or at most like $200" you were still paying the full 699.99-899.99 as you are now days . so my suggestion, buy straight from the source (google, lg, samsung, or even off amazon) and pay with a credit card because especially if you have a zero interest for x amount of time its going to be cheaper in most cases and you dont have to have that out of pocket cash for taxes on the device to pay that day. Ive worked for 3 out of 4 of the top carriers in my life and trust me, its the way to go. Also yes if you are looking for a root friendly phone to flash away on, this thing is not going to be your best choice either. Kick ass phone but not very developer/flash friendly.

gimpy1

Sep 1, 2013
Flagstaff
Well, after considerable thought, I finally decided against going with the Essential or any unlocked bl.

I just received my LG (vs996) from Verizon day before yesterday.

Skripka

Dec 17, 2011
Postulo forklift ad portandum iste
Well, to each his own, I guess.:)

Pretty nice phone, but, in still learning to do things without root.

No root is the least of it...stuck on 7.0.0 forever, and its first and likely last os upgrade isn't likely to come until June 2018 at the soonest.

Pathetic for a supposed flagship.

I was an excited fool, and paid new retail at release. Never again am I buying an LG

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

You can't.
    There is no TWRP for 8.1 so it isn't possible.
    This phone has no traditional recovery. Recovery is part of boot.
    That means that the boot image needs to be patched for tarp and still be able to boot the system.
    Currently, or at least until 8.1 is no longer beta you will not see a tarp that can stay permanently and coexist with 8.1.
    Hello,

If you wanna flash a custom ROM, you can use TWRP (LOS 15.1 and AOSIP are both 8.1 ROMs that can be flashed with TWRP), but I suggest you get very comfortable with ADB and fastboot BEFORE you wipe your phone. As Tech_head said, TWRP gets flashed to the boot, not recovery, so you have to flash TWRP with fastboot each time you want to boot into it, it won't stick.
    This phone is not real friendly for flashaholics. Also, be prepared to lose EVERYTHING on your phone if you start flashing custom ROMs, because if you start having problems or want to flash back to stock, you're going to need to wipe all your data (fastboot -w) (this wipes all your media too!). In fact, if you want to flash a custom ROM, you should wipe everything anyway, and don't count on TWRP being able to complete a nandroid backup or restore one. I haven't been able to once. Good luck, this phone's a *****!

Thx.

Its not that Essential is blocking any development of TWRP. Development for this phone, and all A/B partition phones for that matter, are really minimal right now, but especially the Essential because so few units were sold. Until Project Treble really gets going and more manufacturers start shipping A/B partition devices, you won't see much development for this phone. Eventually, someone will solve the issues with TWRP, but I doubt well ever see a lot of custom ROMs. When I say this phone's a *****, it's because of the issues with TWRP more than anything. Dirty flashing isn't working for me on AOSIP, Nandroid backups don't work, and flashing firmware can only be done using fastboot AFAIK (yes, with a computer). If you're not computer savvy, then you better pass on this phone if you want to run custom ROMs. It's a great phone even stock though, so up to you if you can settle for stock or u wanna learn more about ADB and fastboot, it's worth it IMO. If u want a phone recent that has good development, go with the OnePlus 5T, but even that phone can be a bit tricky for flashing, as I said, TWRP is not very compatible with Oreo 8.1 yet for any phone. You have to disable your pin/fingerprint each time you boot TWRP because they haven't figured out how to decrypt 8.1 yet. This is all common knowledge if you follow the development threads for these phones. The old days of flashing five ROMs in a day are over man, at least for the time being.

Thx.

A) LG phones are not root friendly. Only certain SKUs of any model (1 in maybe 8) can even bootloader unlock. Indeed, even rooting is problematic and only the result of security "flaws". If you are a flash-a-holic, you definitely don't want an LG. Or a Samsung, or any phone sold with carrier-specific hardware or firmware....IIRC the Samsung S8 took a calendar year to root.

B) The technical hurdle here on the Essential is also present on Pixel phones. Getting a Pixel will not free you from this.

The A/B partition scheme and boot layout is shared by Pixel and Essential. The easy flashing processes went away with the Nexus program. A/B isn't that bad-but you must learn fastboot and ADB commands. There aren't a whole lot of common one you really need, but you need familiarity with the toolset.