• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Help] Is there any verified root solution for a P3 running android 12 yet?

Search This thread

Psychotc

Dec 21, 2011
Just wanted to see if anyone else has successfully rooted their p3 once it's running android 12 and have it successfully pass safetynet.
I'm relatively sure that most of the people reading these forums have quite a few root apps that make their lives and phone experience easier and would like to keep those on android 12.
Thanks

Reactions: mhrussell1

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
yes just fastboot flashed the magisk_patched boot.img and all was good

p.s whats the vmbeta?

Magisk allows for 'systemless' root. We've all read that. What that means though is basically, it doesn't 'touch' root (it does a kind of 'overlay' of it, but doesn't modify actual System).

when we flash disable-verity etc zip, it keeps the data partition from becoming encrypted, so twrp backup can backup that partition.

you can additionally, if desired, disable vbmeta. That allows u to make modifications in System, Op, etc, and the changes will stick even after a reboot. It is said though if yer changes are in System, yer much better off using a magisk module, as they can be easily reverted, if needed.

To disable vbmeta u have to use fastboot. This would be the fastboot command: fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta_a blank_vbmeta.img. You don't have to use a blank vbmeta, you can just flash back the original. Also, if u do fastboot --h it will show all commands and these are listed towards the end of the output.

cheers

Reactions: prabs99
Magisk allows for 'systemless' root. We've all read that. What that means though is basically, it doesn't 'touch' root (it does a kind of 'overlay' of it, but doesn't modify actual System).

when we flash disable-verity etc zip, it keeps the data partition from becoming encrypted, so twrp backup can backup that partition.

you can additionally, if desired, disable vbmeta. That allows u to make modifications in System, Op, etc, and the changes will stick even after a reboot. It is said though if yer changes are in System, yer much better off using a magisk module, as they can be easily reverted, if needed.

To disable vbmeta u have to use fastboot. This would be the fastboot command: fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta_a blank_vbmeta.img. You don't have to use a blank vbmeta, you can just flash back the original. Also, if u do fastboot --h it will show all commands and these are listed towards the end of the output.

cheers
This should not be necessary on the P3; this only became an issue with Android 12 on the 4a 5g and up. All prior devices are unaffected AFAIK.

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
This should not be necessary on the P3; this only became an issue with Android 12 on the 4a 5g and up. All prior devices are unaffected AFAIK.
I was responding to the person who asked what disabling vbmeta was. So I explained what it was.

it "being necessary" on p3 or any device, I have no idea about, nor am I proclaiming it to be one way or another.

it might be better to direct your comment to those that believe it's needed, if you have reason to believe it is not.

cheers

Reactions: V0latyle

rocketrazr1999

I was responding to the person who asked what disabling vbmeta was. So I explained what it was.

it "being necessary" on p3 or any device, I have no idea about, nor am I proclaiming it to be one way or another.

it might be better to direct your comment to those that believe it's needed, if you have reason to believe it is not.

cheers
No need to become defensive.

cheers
I'm afraid you're incorrect. Dm-verity and vbmeta verification have nothing to do with encrypting the data partition, nor is vbmeta used for encryption whatsoever. It is, however, used for "tamper-evident storage" of /boot and /system.

Dm-verity is a method by which a hash is generated from a block storage device. Vbmeta verification compares that generated hash to a cryptographically signed hash stored in /vbmeta to determine they match. These are used for Android Boot Verification on the Pixel 4a 5g, 5, 5a, and 6; those of us using those devices have had to reflash vbmeta with --disable flags in order to flash patched boot images.

However, none of this applies to the Pixel 3, 3XL, 3a, 4, 4XL, or 4a.

The only requirement for root on these devices is an unlocked bootloader. Root is accomplished in exactly the same way as it always has - patch the boot image in Magisk.

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
I'm afraid you're incorrect. Dm-verity and vbmeta verification have nothing to do with encrypting the data partition, nor is vbmeta used for encryption whatsoever. It is, however, used for "tamper-evident storage" of /boot and /system.

Dm-verity is a method by which a hash is generated from a block storage device. Vbmeta verification compares that generated hash to a cryptographically signed hash stored in /vbmeta to determine they match. These are used for Android Boot Verification on the Pixel 4a 5g, 5, 5a, and 6; those of us using those devices have had to reflash vbmeta with --disable flags in order to flash patched boot images.

However, none of this applies to the Pixel 3, 3XL, 3a, 4, 4XL, or 4a.

The only requirement for root on these devices is an unlocked bootloader. Root is accomplished in exactly the same way as it always has - patch the boot image in Magisk.

My exact words:
"I was responding to the person who asked what disabling vbmeta was. So I explained what it was.

it "being necessary" on p3 or any device, I have no idea about, nor am I proclaiming it to be one way or another."

What, in my words, are any different than what you're saying?

My exact words:
"I was responding to the person who asked what disabling vbmeta was. So I explained what it was.

it "being necessary" on p3 or any device, I have no idea about, nor am I proclaiming it to be one way or another."

What, in my words, are any different than what you're saying?
This:
Disabling verity has nothing to do with data encryption, because it is used exclusively to verify /boot with /vbmeta, and /system with /vbmeta_system.

There is no need for users of the Pixel 4a or below to flash or reflash /vbmeta at any point during update or attempting root.

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
This:

Disabling verity has nothing to do with data encryption, because it is used exclusively to verify /boot with /vbmeta, and /system with /vbmeta_system.

There is no need for users of the Pixel 4a or below to flash or reflash /vbmeta at any point during update or attempting root.

This:

I'm talking about disable-verity-force-encrypt. Ever heard of it? it's the magisk zip module that's been used by probably millions of people, and it does exactly what I said, from a practical standpoint.

And again, I didn't say the vbmeta was specific to any device, I said specifically "I don't know" if it's relevant for the p3, etc etc etc.

I just said, from a practical perspective, what it does.

what's your problem?

I'm talking about disable-verity-force-encrypt. Ever heard of it? it's the magisk zip module that's been used by probably millions of people, and it does exactly what I said, from a practical standpoint.

And again, I didn't say the vbmeta was specific to any device, I said specifically "I don't know" if it's relevant for the p3, etc etc etc.

I just said, from a practical perspective, what it does.

what's your problem?
No problem here, just doing what I can to try to ensure the information shared is clear, relevant, and accurate.

I would suggest that if you're going to continue to participate in public conversations such as this, you might want to consider your defensive reaction to certain circumstances, as has already been pointed out by another member.

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
No problem here, just doing what I can to try to ensure the information shared is clear, relevant, and accurate.

I would suggest that if you're going to continue to participate in public conversations such as this, you might want to consider your defensive reaction to certain circumstances, as has already been pointed out by another member.
And I would suggest to you, if someone makes a point, and it's accurate, then there's no reason to tell them they are wrong? is there?

doing such would make anyone defensive, in public or private. Only someone with their head buried where the sun doesn't shine would not understand that.

And I would suggest to you, if someone makes a point, and it's accurate, then there's no reason to tell them they are wrong? is there?

doing such would make anyone defensive, in public or private. Only someone with their head buried where the sun doesn't shine would not understand that.
It seems we understand each other.

Cheers!

Very nice passive-aggressive response. You'd be a lot better off with 'I was wrong, I misunderstood'.

cheers!
Do you not find it just a little hypocritical to try to correct someone else when you yourself have become extremely defensive?

I will admit that I was partly wrong - Verified Boot is indeed tied to device encryption on some newer devices, including the 4a 5g and up.

The point I was trying to make is that an excess of information can be confusing to people looking for a solution. But, this community thrives on individuals who all try to help those around them, so the information you provided is appreciated.

Reactions: jimjitsuesq

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Very nice passive-aggressive response. You'd be a lot better off with 'I was wrong, I misunderstood'.

cheers!
    Do you not find it just a little hypocritical to try to correct someone else when you yourself have become extremely defensive?

I will admit that I was partly wrong - Verified Boot is indeed tied to device encryption on some newer devices, including the 4a 5g and up.

The point I was trying to make is that an excess of information can be confusing to people looking for a solution. But, this community thrives on individuals who all try to help those around them, so the information you provided is appreciated.
    Can confirm root and safety net pass with a12 release
    Just wanted to see if anyone else has successfully rooted their p3 once it's running android 12 and have it successfully pass safetynet.
    I'm relatively sure that most of the people reading these forums have quite a few root apps that make their lives and phone experience easier and would like to keep those on android 12.
    Thanks
    Which version/build of Magisk are you using? Any modules for hiding from detection?
    Latest canary and safety net fix
    Did you just fastboot flash after updating to A12? Did you have to flash the vmbeta also?

p.s whats the vmbeta?

p.s whats the vmbeta?

cheers