Help me convince myself to keep my Pixel 4XL

Search This thread

Kennyeni

Mar 12, 2012
Hi everyone,

Like many people out there, I'm the proud owner of a Pixel 2 XL which I love. I pre ordered and received a Pixel 4XL last week, but I haven't opened it yet out of... doubt.

I have always liked Google's phone (have had one of them for the last couple years, since the Nexus era), and I was really looking forward to get the Pixel 4XL this year, however, as many of you know... we are missing:
  • A fingerprint scanner: I could just use the Mod to use Face unlock on all apps, so fine, I can live without it.
  • Photo/video backup: I don't mind paying, but backing up videos is not going to be a $2 a month deal...
  • A wide-angle lens: My Pixel 2 doesn't have it either... so ok?
  • A real 90hz screen support without killing battery by forcing it

I'm getting tired of trying to convince myself that I should keep it, specially after I started comparing it to the OnePlus 7 Pro... which has a similar price point.

Should I just give up? Help me find reason to keep it, I have always cared more about the experience more than the hardware specs but this time it's getting tough.

Last edited:

wrongway213

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor / Re
Jul 27, 2014
Canton, OH
Hi everyone,

Like many people out there, I'm the proud owner of a Pixel 2 XL which I love. I pre ordered and received a Pixel 4XL last week, but I haven't opened it yet out of... doubt.

I have always liked Google's phone (have had one of them for the last couple years, since the Nexus era), and I was really looking forward to get the Pixel 4XL this year, however, as many of you know... we are missing:
  • A fingerprint scanner: I could just use the Mod to use Face unlock on all apps, so fine, I can live without it.
  • Photo/video backup: I don't mind paying, but backing up videos is not going to be a $2 a month deal...
  • A real 90hz screen support

I'm getting tired of trying to convince myself that I should keep it, specially after I started comparing it to the OnePlus 7 Pro... which has a similar price point.

Should I just give up? Help me find reason to keep it, I have always cared more about the experience more than the hardware specs but this time it's getting tough.

I love mine, not concerned with reviews. It's fast, fluid and Android 10 runs as intended. Face Unlock is awesome. Soli gestures are cool and promising for the future I think. Camera is crazy good. 90hz works well, not sure why you'd say not real 90hz. You can force it on and it's sweet. New Assistant is awesome. It's the first phone I've ever enjoyed running stock. Everyone is different, but this is my favorite phone since Nexus 6 so far.

jaben2

Oct 27, 2010
Can't convince you, sorry. I sent mine back. Honestly though I'm waiting till a price drop and by then maybe they will clean up the 90 hz and other minor issues ie apps not supporting face unlock.

As far as battery life goes, it lasted long enough for me. So not really concerned about that.

Badger50

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Feb 27, 2011
Kansas City
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7
I would have opened that puppy, and run it through the ringer for a week. You have 2 weeks to return it...well maybe just a week now, but really, how else are you gonna know? I don't pay much attention to reviews, I buy what I like. I love my P2XL as well, but the experience for me is so much nicer than the 2, except for the FP sensor. But oh well, that's likely going to be the norm from here on out. As the saying goes.....fortis Fortuna adiuvat

:good::cool:

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
With Pixel it's not about the specs, it's about how it works every day. Some people forget that, we use phones to get stuff done, not to attain the biggest number in stat columns. As said above, give it a try, send it back if your not feeling the love. Unless of course you know you could put the ching to better use and purchased only because you lusted your way into clicking the buy button after getting a few pints in your belly.

Reactions: Att.Fan1982

Kennyeni

Mar 12, 2012
With Pixel it's not about the specs, it's about how it works every day. Some people forget that, we use phones to get stuff done, not to attain the biggest number in stat columns. As said above, give it a try, send it back if your not feeling the love. Unless of course you know you could put the ching to better use and purchased only because you lusted your way into clicking the buy button after getting a few pints in your belly.

Completely agree here, what are some of the features that are Pixel-specific? I can only think of Soli support, better google assistant (but I feel like this will be brought to all devices later?) and better photos. But I'm assuming that there are ROMs out there that port most of the Pixel features?

Like I said, I have been using Google devices only, so I don't have a reference of what I would be missing, that's mainly the reason I posted this :)

Last edited:

shoman94

Recognized Contributor
Mar 27, 2009
Maine
I had the 3 XL and I'm not looking back. Sure I miss the fingerprint sensor at times but everything else is sweeter.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: dmb219

pixelsquish

Oct 24, 2007
I had the 2xl and loved it but haven't doubted the switch to the 4xl at all. It's a far superior experience.

swagglepuff

Jul 3, 2016
Hi everyone,

• A real 90hz screen support without killing battery by forcing it

I went with the 4xl over the OnePlus 7 pro, I honestly couldnt be happier. I am coming from the pixel 3a as well.
Photo and video back up is still free, its just not in original quality from what I understand.
Why is everyone blaming google for app developers not incorporating face unlock into their apps. Google literally has no control over who adds face unlock.
I agree about the camera, this is also my least looked at feature.
I have the 90hz forced and I have zero issue with battery life on my xl. Battery life is subjective to the user and all reviews have zero real world use of battery life after a single week.

This is an amazing device and I really wish people would stop paying attention to these youtube reviewers who make money based off of how many clicks they get. We all know bad press and harsh titles get the most clicks. People also need to understand that a reviewer who is paid to never put down the phone is not real world use, nor does it reflect actually battery life based on ones usage.

I guess if you want the internet to tell you how to spend your money, I would just send it back. Seems like youtube has already made up your mind for you, seeing as how its been in a box for a week. When you could have opened it and made the choice yourself already.

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
Completely agree here, what are some of the features that are Pixel-specific? I can only think of Soli support, better google assistant (but I feel like this will be brought to all devices later?) and better photos. But I'm assuming that there are ROMs out there that port most of the Pixel features?

Like I said, I have been using Google devices only, so I don't have a reference of what I would be missing, that's mainly the reason I posted this :)

Lets see; the easiest way might be to point out a few Pixel moments during my day today. This morning I needed to send a picture of a document as a PDF. I pulled out my trusty Pixel and took a picture of it with lens which will recognize a document and offer the option to create a pdf and send as such and I was done. Later I was getting driving directions from my daughter to a local cafe which had just opened and wasn't showing on Maps. She just moved into the place but hasn't got the road names down yet so I used the recorder to get verbal directions of the "turn right at the big yellow house" kind and referenced the recording on the way. I didn't help cook dinner which made me the dishwasher when the much maligned Soli stepped in to show that it does have a use case. I've recently discovered Electronica, mostly trance, some of it I love and some of it, well, I hate. While washing dishes I swiped away several songs of the uh uh variety without having to do the quick dry off of hands. Very convenient. A general thing; I used the assistant many times trying to keep up with the Seahawk game along with a few random tasks. I find the quicker response of assistant to be a big improvement which for me was unexpected, I never felt bothered by the delay before but I find I'm liking not having it now. I also took some shots of my fast moving grandkids and the motion shot did fetch me a couple shots that were better than what I would have got without it. I also didn't get a single spam phone call today which is just like yesterday and probably tomorrow, Goog is getting really good at blocking which is much appreciated. So that's what my Pixel did for me today.

Some of those features have trickled down to previous Pixel devices or were already there and some of them have been ported over to OnePlus. I own one of those so I keep up with that side. Take the camera, they already have a port but it doesn't work as well there. It didn't with the 7, didn't with the 6T, the 6, etc. There are always missing features or bugs or something, it never just works. Same with grabbing the dialer. You get some things to work, sometimes you get all of them to work but they never all work all the time. You really do get some of the goods to work properly but you wont be recreating a Pixel experience on the OP device of the day, it's been this way all along from the first Pixel till now. This isn't to say the OP isn't a good device or that you shouldn't buy it but you shouldn't buy it thinking you're going to grab all the Pixel stuff in the ROMs, that isn't going to happen. Some of it you'll get and it works, some you get and it's buggy and/or partially works, and some you wont get at all.

Going back to the start, it's about the experience with Pixel. It's nothing revolutionary or exciting, just the little things like hearing a song you don't like and swiping it away in the middles of dishes. Seeing your grandchild blink right as you press the button but you got the picture anyways. These Pixely things don't make great bullet points but they make for a satisfying device to own.

Demolition49

Nov 9, 2008
London
You'd be surprised. But there was a test out there with the OnePlus 7t with the Snapdragon 855+ vs the pixel 4 with the Snapdragon 855... processing video. And the pixel 4 killed the OnePlus somhow with a slower processor and less ram. It really isn't all about the specs. This pixel 4 feels very well optimized. And let's be honest, 1+ cameras aren't as good as the pixels... Plus I'm sorry but certain things on the OnePlus when I had it, completely sucked and made it feel cheap, like the microphones, the vibration motor.

Just open up your pixel 4 and enjoy it. If you had the 2, you will love it. Plus all these silly reviews about the phone having bad battery life is ridiculous, I have force 90 on and I'm getting a full day very easily, as are many others on here.

Reactions: Janker5050

arsenal74

Nov 23, 2016
I have had the 4XL for just over a week now and I am conflicted myself. In the UK we do not get no questions asked returns (did not buy direct from Google) so I'd have to sell it on if I decide not to keep it, I am on the fence though TBH and I think there are 3 main things that are bugging me:

- The build, some seem to like the industrial design but every time I pick it up it just feels underwhelming. Honestly I think it feels a little cheap, maybe it is those plastic look edges.

- No ultra-wide

- Storage needs managing. I have the 128gb, it is just about enough but I have to think about what I put on there. With larger storage or an SD card I can have all of my music plus some local FLAC files, Netflix or Amazon for my commute and not even think about it. 256gb rather than 128gb solves this

The thing is that there still isn't a droid that ticks all of my boxes so for me at least it is pick your compromise, I also have a Mate 20 pro (resale so low I have kept it) and I really really like it even if the OS is a little rough around the edges and the camera slightly behind the Pixel and new iPhones now. Having had both of the Note 10s and the S10 I am leaning towards thinking that Samsung maybe still offer the best overall droid package. OnePlus are so so close now though!

Google have IMO had an open goal for the last 2 years, and just do not seem able to finish the job

pkmoazzam

Dec 31, 2008
San Diego
Lets see; the easiest way might be to point out a few Pixel moments during my day today. This morning I needed to send a picture of a document as a PDF. I pulled out my trusty Pixel and took a picture of it with lens which will recognize a document and offer the option to create a pdf and send as such and I was done. Later I was getting driving directions from my daughter to a local cafe which had just opened and wasn't showing on Maps. She just moved into the place but hasn't got the road names down yet so I used the recorder to get verbal directions of the "turn right at the big yellow house" kind and referenced the recording on the way. I didn't help cook dinner which made me the dishwasher when the much maligned Soli stepped in to show that it does have a use case. I've recently discovered Electronica, mostly trance, some of it I love and some of it, well, I hate. While washing dishes I swiped away several songs of the uh uh variety without having to do the quick dry off of hands. Very convenient. A general thing; I used the assistant many times trying to keep up with the Seahawk game along with a few random tasks. I find the quicker response of assistant to be a big improvement which for me was unexpected, I never felt bothered by the delay before but I find I'm liking not having it now. I also took some shots of my fast moving grandkids and the motion shot did fetch me a couple shots that were better than what I would have got without it. I also didn't get a single spam phone call today which is just like yesterday and probably tomorrow, Goog is getting really good at blocking which is much appreciated. So that's what my Pixel did for me today.

Some of those features have trickled down to previous Pixel devices or were already there and some of them have been ported over to OnePlus. I own one of those so I keep up with that side. Take the camera, they already have a port but it doesn't work as well there. It didn't with the 7, didn't with the 6T, the 6, etc. There are always missing features or bugs or something, it never just works. Same with grabbing the dialer. You get some things to work, sometimes you get all of them to work but they never all work all the time. You really do get some of the goods to work properly but you wont be recreating a Pixel experience on the OP device of the day, it's been this way all along from the first Pixel till now. This isn't to say the OP isn't a good device or that you shouldn't buy it but you shouldn't buy it thinking you're going to grab all the Pixel stuff in the ROMs, that isn't going to happen. Some of it you'll get and it works, some you get and it's buggy and/or partially works, and some you wont get at all.

Going back to the start, it's about the experience with Pixel. It's nothing revolutionary or exciting, just the little things like hearing a song you don't like and swiping it away in the middles of dishes. Seeing your grandchild blink right as you press the button but you got the picture anyways. These Pixely things don't make great bullet points but they make for a satisfying device to own

Nice explanations

Attachments

• tenor.gif
    tenor.gif
    285.9 KB · Views: 227

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
You'd be surprised. But there was a test out there with the OnePlus 7t with the Snapdragon 855+ vs the pixel 4 with the Snapdragon 855... processing video. And the pixel 4 killed the OnePlus somhow with a slower processor and less ram. It really isn't all about the specs.

https://youtu.be/PkVW5eSXKfw
Here's the video of anyone's curious.

Reactions: yyz71 and xavier55

Demolition49

Nov 9, 2008
London
- The build, some seem to like the industrial design but every time I pick it up it just feels underwhelming. Honestly I think it feels a little cheap, maybe it is those plastic look edges.

- No ultra-wide

- Storage needs managing.

1. The build has been complimented alot this year for feeling more premium. Also do you slap a case on your phone? If so then that point is kind of out the window anyway. But I understand it is a subjective thing. There may even be way a way to strip that anodizing off the borders if you are the creative type.

2. Honestly even if it had an ultra wide, you cannot use it in anything but the best lighting conditions because of the aperture. Just look at the iPhone photos in anything but perfect lighting. You are much better off if you want wide angle shots using a moment lens on your main snapper to get a proper shot... Which is exactly what I have and do. This would apply to all phones with those different lenses. I do find the tele useful though because I can actually take tele on tele shots with my zoom lens and get about 4x optical zoom, which is absolutely fantastic.

3. Storage I agree you can get in to a dead end if you like large apps and music stored on your phone locally... But if you stream and use the cloud for photos it is very doable.

Reactions: xavier55

Number R09

Jan 2, 2012
Maine
I'm not going to try and convince you, but I am happy with both the 2XL and the 4XL. Each for their own reasons. There's gains and losses no matter which one you pick. With that said, I'm content with my 4XL, and I made reasons to justify the 4.

My reasons for keeping the 4; my son gets my 2XL, and I get new hardware.

ckupsco

Aug 10, 2010
I went from 2XL to 4XL and won't look back at all. The Camera has gotten me several great shots already and it just feels smoother and faster.

xavier55

Oct 29, 2010
New York
I'm new to the pixel family. I was with Samsung Galaxy when I had my first major brand-name phone then went to lg. Now a happy owner of the p4xl to me this phone is great great camera but lg cam 8s better hardware wise but software wise p4xl has it. I think with all the complaints I keep hearing and reading about the cam, I feel Google focus on so and software more then anything and they did a great job. Plus you get updates faster then any brand out there.. I hear people complaining also about how cheap the phone feels but this phone feel heavier then I'm use too. I feel the ones who are really complaining are not appreciative of where Google's trying to go to in the future where just thinking about hardware and how each phone out me to another phone or another competitor but I feel good doing this right sore for it was hardware wise and it's just going to get better I think but that's for a first time Google pixel 4 user experience

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Don't know how people can say it's a small upgrade from the pixel 2??!! I think it's a lot better than the 3??!!. But if your coming from the 2...
    Better processer
    More ram
    Much better screen
    Better speakers
    Better cameras
    Better haptics
    Less bezel
    No annoying curves and chunky side bezels (XL)
    90hz screen
    Proper face id
    Soli, radar.
    Good battery life.
    Isn't that an updated in pretty much every department lol
    Assuming you're an adult, make up your own mind.
    I like my 4XL a lot. It's the best phone I've had and I get one each year, maybe 2. If you don't like it, return it. Why complain so much and why keep something so expensive if you think it is garbage?? So much drama here.
    I would have opened that puppy, and run it through the ringer for a week. You have 2 weeks to return it...well maybe just a week now, but really, how else are you gonna know? I don't pay much attention to reviews, I buy what I like. I love my P2XL as well, but the experience for me is so much nicer than the 2, except for the FP sensor. But oh well, that's likely going to be the norm from here on out. As the saying goes.....fortis Fortuna adiuvat

:good::cool:
    Hi everyone,

• A real 90hz screen support

I love mine, not concerned with reviews. It's fast, fluid and Android 10 runs as intended. Face Unlock is awesome. Soli gestures are cool and promising for the future I think. Camera is crazy good. 90hz works well, not sure why you'd say not real 90hz. You can force it on and it's sweet. New Assistant is awesome. It's the first phone I've ever enjoyed running stock. Everyone is different, but this is my favorite phone since Nexus 6 so far.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone