Help me pick a phone!

Search This thread

mercilus

Nov 28, 2008
My entry into the smartphone/pda industry was an original HTC Tilt/Kaiser. I loved it and still do.

Recently I renewed my contract with AT&T and made the knee jerk decision to get an iPhone 3GS. I was enamored with the phone in the beginning but its over. I am trying to decide which phone to get but none of them fit the bill! So I need some assistance deciding when to sell my iPhone to buy a newer one.

I want to sell it while its still crazy priced on ebay and I can land over $700 for it still heh... crazy people.... So I want to time it about a month prior to the release of the phone I am after.

The one I am eyeballing now is the Sony xperia x10. Although I do sort of want windows mobile (my currency trading broker has some sweet trading software for it.) But I will take the hit and use android with a vpn to my home pc.

I really want a high end phone with a great camera and fast processor and beautiful large screen for multimedia and stock charts...

So what future phones for AT&T fit the bill? Also, if they are not a AT&T direct release is a big plus also since you can get cheaper internet. (Yes I am looking at you x1 users! I hate you!)

Badwolve1

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 13, 2009
Loughborough, UK
I really want a high end phone with a great camera and fast processor and beautiful large screen for multimedia and stock charts.

Hi Mercilus
The obvious phone that fits that descreption is the HD2 (or Leo, depending how it's being branded where you are), however, for me i would choose the Touch Pro 2 (Rhodium) as it has a phisical keyboard, as a Winmo user, I am unaware of the stats of the android phones lying around

(Go For Winmo :p)
Badwolve1

mercilus

Nov 28, 2008
Thanks for the responses I will research into those a bit.

Doing a quick search and it seems they both are expected any time now?

Still trying to decypher if they are available for US-AT&T 3g.

bunu

Nov 25, 2009
Htc leo/hd2 is coming exclusively to t-mobile u.s.a

For People saying get the HD2 a.k.a HTC LEO, that phone is coming EXCLUSIVELY to T-Mobile U.S.A. If you want that on at&t that means you have to buy the unlocked version and get only EDGE on at&t.

I know this since I follow t-mobile usa and htc on twitter and they both said it. Phonedog said and even facebook said it. Go google it if you doubt me.

mercilus

Nov 28, 2008
For People saying get the HD2 a.k.a HTC LEO, that phone is coming EXCLUSIVELY to T-Mobile U.S.A. If you want that on at&t that means you have to buy the unlocked version and get only EDGE on at&t.

I know this since I follow t-mobile usa and htc on twitter and they both said it. Phonedog said and even facebook said it. Go google it if you doubt me.

Yeah, that definately would be a problem. I definately do enjoy using high speed data, so 3g is a must.

So for the current phone options, it looks like I may be keeping my iPhone 3gs for a bit longer :( god it hurts to say that.....

Any ideas what I should keep my eye on for the future? The LG Expo looks pretty cool but I dont know if I trust LG....

poetryrocksalot

Dec 4, 2008
Anaheim
People here have a bias for HTC, and I don't think they considered that you might want a phone that is being offered by your carrier.

So you are satisfied with Windows Mobile and HTC was a good Xperiance.

I suggest HTC Touch Pro2 or an LG Expo.

HTC Touch Pro2 for functionality.
LG Expo for speed, and performance.

Robson

Jul 22, 2003
Melbourne
i've been using a dopod u1000 / athena / ameo / advantage for quite some time now...and finally opted to sell it.

just got myself a brand new htc touch pro 2 sprint. definitely worth it!

coolVariable

Oct 19, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
www.sitecharts.com
People here have a bias for HTC, and I don't think they considered that you might want a phone that is being offered by your carrier.

So you are satisfied with Windows Mobile and HTC was a good Xperiance.

I suggest HTC Touch Pro2 or an LG Expo.

HTC Touch Pro2 for functionality.
LG Expo for speed, and performance.

Very true about the bias.
If you want something like the Tilt ... you could probably get the Tilt 2 for cheap on ebay.

poetryrocksalot

Dec 4, 2008
Anaheim
lg expo. just the lg expo.

Here is what I anticipate and what I know and I will list as Pros of the Touch Pro2 (AKA HTC Tilt2) over the LG Expo:

Pros:
Stereo speaker (LG Expo does not have 2-speakers)
Tilting screen (LG Expo does not have)
Dual microphones (LG Expo does not have 2-mics)
Touch FLO3D Home Screen (subjective) (LG Expo does not have)
Better keyboard design and feedback (subjective)
HTC's tendency to offer updates (input fields will be enlarged finger friendly!)
LED Indicators for CAPS Lock and FN Lock, which has proven useful

LG Expo's Point Of View

Pros:
Projector attachment (HTC Tilt2 does not have)
Twice the CPU speed (technical) (HTC Tilt2 does not have)
Fingerprint reader and scroll pad (HTC Tilt2 does not have)

Other Stuff
Things that I never consider when comparing phones: form factor and size difference, and XDA Support (cause I rarely flash and do that kind of stuff).

Things that you must consider when reading my opinions: I have never laid my hands on an LG Expo. I never touched the LG Expo keyboard but from the looks of it, the keys look amazing, but I've laid my hands on top keyboards before and Touch Pro2 is the best so I am just guessing that LG Expo isn't as good.

As you can see, if you need a speedy device with keyboard almost as good as the Touch Pro2, get the LG Expo. If you are tired of the lag of the likes of Xperia X1, Touch Pro1, or Touch Diamond, then maybe LG Expo is better than Touch Pro2.

If you really like the fact that you have an indicator their to watch your back and protect you from Capitalization/Symbol typography-mistakes, and if you like a beautiful home-screen to soothe your stress while you load a movie and watch it via a 3.5 inch tilting screen with high quality and loud volume, then get the Touch Pro2.

However, you might consider getting external bluetooth speakers and attach that projector on the expo so you can have a movie experience, but the setup is just too much of a wasted time. The same goes for the TV-Out on the Touch Pro2.

The best reason to get Expo2 is for speedier response and for projected presentations (not entertainment).

The best reason to get Touch Pro2, aka Tilt2, is for it's multimedia value and capabilities (better sound, tilting screen) and for the effectiveness of typing messages (especially when you don't make mistakes with CAPs indicators).

What would seal the deal for me was that if the CAPs button had the LED indicator build into the button, it would be perfect. The same desire applies to the FN button. Besides, sometimes I forget to read the indicator because I am used to looking at the indicator directly on top of my CAPs button on my laptop.

coldpenguin

Nov 26, 2005
i've been using a dopod u1000 / athena / ameo / advantage for quite some time now...and finally opted to sell it.

just got myself a brand new htc touch pro 2 sprint. definitely worth it!

Why?
I was hoping for an advantage as an upgrade to the Universal. To me, the touch pro2 is just too small and fiddly.

Robson

Jul 22, 2003
Melbourne
Why?
I was hoping for an advantage as an upgrade to the Universal. To me, the touch pro2 is just too small and fiddly.

apologies as this is deviating from the topic =)

the thing is, i've been using my u1000 for like 3 years now. don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic device. but i've also outgrown the size factor. meaning, the u1000 is not as easy to carry around unless you tuck it in your pocket...in which case you'll have a bulge that deserves its own zip code. of course there are pouches or cases that can be strapped on your belt...not that i'm not a fan of it...and there is simply carrying it around with one hand. given that, when a call comes through i either have to use the handsfree or bluetooth...the former of which has a dangling wire which i'm not too comfortable with...and the latter which can be a drain as you constantly have to be aware of battery life (both for the bt and u1000)...and trust me, i never had plans of putting the unit right next to my ear to answer a call. again, it's a fantastic device but my preferences have changed. so last monday, sent it off to a buyer in ebay and then got myself a touch pro 2.

on that note, i was considering a touch hd 2, an acer m900, lg expo, and the touch pro 2. my views in order of preference

touch pro 2 - keyboard is fantastic. was able to try this out myself when i borrowed my mate's unit. tilt screen is awesome and the display was simply tops. i already have a 16gb micro sd so memory is no problem.

touch hd 2 - fantastic all out but lacks a physical keyboard of which i've gotten used to.

lg expo - a very good contender but the screen doesn't tilt. plus i get all the support i need through this site for an htc. not really a fan of the fingerprint thingee. i was able to play around with this while in hong kong. keys are good (definitely better than the acer m900 per below) but not on par with the touch pro 2. for the projector which you need to purchase separately, there's a whole bunch of mobile projectors that can be bought and linked to your ppc.

acer m900 - lacks memory (@128 ram), while in hong kong i was able to fiddle with one and i must say that the design wasn't as good...no offense to anyone using it. keyboard was not as easy (sticking keys), screen does not tilt, sliding the keypad kinda gave me the feel that it would eventually fall off (?) as it was "shaky"

poetryrocksalot

Dec 4, 2008
Anaheim
apologies as this is deviating from the topic =)

the thing is, i've been using my u1000 for like 3 years now. don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic device. but i've also outgrown the size factor. meaning, the u1000 is not as easy to carry around unless you tuck it in your pocket...in which case you'll have a bulge that deserves its own zip code. of course there are pouches or cases that can be strapped on your belt...not that i'm not a fan of it...and there is simply carrying it around with one hand. given that, when a call comes through i either have to use the handsfree or bluetooth...the former of which has a dangling wire which i'm not too comfortable with...and the latter which can be a drain as you constantly have to be aware of battery life (both for the bt and u1000)...and trust me, i never had plans of putting the unit right next to my ear to answer a call. again, it's a fantastic device but my preferences have changed. so last monday, sent it off to a buyer in ebay and then got myself a touch pro 2.

on that note, i was considering a touch hd 2, an acer m900, lg expo, and the touch pro 2. my views in order of preference

touch pro 2 - keyboard is fantastic. was able to try this out myself when i borrowed my mate's unit. tilt screen is awesome and the display was simply tops. i already have a 16gb micro sd so memory is no problem.

touch hd 2 - fantastic all out but lacks a physical keyboard of which i've gotten used to.

lg expo - a very good contender but the screen doesn't tilt. plus i get all the support i need through this site for an htc. not really a fan of the fingerprint thingee. i was able to play around with this while in hong kong. keys are good (definitely better than the acer m900 per below) but not on par with the touch pro 2. for the projector which you need to purchase separately, there's a whole bunch of mobile projectors that can be bought and linked to your ppc.

acer m900 - lacks memory (@128 ram), while in hong kong i was able to fiddle with one and i must say that the design wasn't as good...no offense to anyone using it. keyboard was not as easy (sticking keys), screen does not tilt, sliding the keypad kinda gave me the feel that it would eventually fall off (?) as it was "shaky"

TBH, Acer is the worst of them all, and Touch Pro2 and HD2 are the best.

And the LG Expo isn't that good either but it is a sign that LG is finally making good phones. I'm tired of their voyagers and env's which are too popular in the U.S. and they are the worst 'smartphones' ever. Their new chocolates with 4 in super-wide displays and 4.8 inch super-wide displays have also increased my enthusiasm for LG phones.