• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Help Me With A New PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

ThinkTankInk

Jan 8, 2008
Hi guys,

My old PC has finally bitten the dust after around 6 years and I am now looking to get a new one. However, I'm on quite a tight budget for what I want, it seems.
I am looking for a new desktop PC which is a capable gaming machine. My old computer was capable of playing BF3 (on medium-ish settings) smoothly and could play FFXIV which I am quite looking forward to. There's a whole new console generation on the horizon and I am mainly a console gamer, but would like my PC to be able to play a few upcoming games such as The Division or maybe Watchdogs.
I haven't built a PC in a very very long time, so would prefer to get a pre-built one. My budget is £600. I would prefer it to come with a monitor for that price, but I doubt that I'd be able to get one too. My current monitor is quite old, but will do for now.

I've been looking into both AMD and Intel processors and it seems the i5 is arguably the better of them for the price bracket (I think an i7 is a pipe dream). The problem I am having is that there's so many numbers floating around within the i5 family and I struggle with dyscalculia (number dyslexia, basically) so I am having a hard time trying to figure out the price-to-power sweet spot. Then there's graphics cards on top. Ideally, I'd like to go with NVidia this generation as I plan on buying an NVidia Shield one day, but AMD have been good to me over the years, so I wouldn't turn my nose up at them.

I am going to do more research and reading. But if you could point me in the right direction, I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.