Help!!! my note 8 stuck in "system ui has stopped

Search This thread

soilentgreen

Oct 23, 2012
Hi, just now I upgrade to the the last Samsung update and now I got the error.
The AOD is work and I got notification tone but can not enter to the phone.
I enter to safemode and still the same.
I hope there is a way to solved it without erase the phone.

soilentgreen

Oct 23, 2012
I did a factory reset and now i need to spend hours to download and customized all over again!!
I think it's because the tweaks and system modes of Substratum.
I think that on the next time we should delete all of the system modes.
Hope some one can approve it because I really don't want to get through this again.
What make it to a sad joke is that the update is not what i thought it was, still I don't have the new Samsung VPN.
All for nothing!!!

Last edited:

ggrant3876

Jun 17, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
I did a factory reset and now i need to spend hours to download and customized all over again!!
Hope some one can approve it because I really don't want to get through this again.
What make it to a sad joke is that the update is not what i thought it was, still I don't have the new Samsung VPN.
All for nothing!!!

Correct, you have to uninstall all your layers and substratrum mods before accepting the OTA. I just saw this but you can boot into safe mode while system ui is fc and uninstall all the mods there and you should be good when you boot out of safe mode. No factory data reset needed.

Reactions: soilentgreen

houboy

Nov 20, 2010
Houston

I posted this before in another thread...
I was able to fix it without factory resetting my phone. To do it, connect your phone to a pc (pc that you previously connected your phone to and always allowed access), in cmd with adb, run "adb shell pm list packages > whateveryouwanttonameit.txt" and look through the text file for apps you installed that changed your status bar. Then in cmd run "adb uninstall com.appyouwanttouninstall". I did 4 among many, checked my phone, and didn't get the system ui has stopped messages

jpflaw00

Mar 24, 2006
IL
I was able to fix it without factory resetting my phone. To do it, connect your phone to a pc (pc that you previously connected your phone to and always allowed access), in cmd with adb, run "adb shell pm list packages > whateveryouwanttonameit.txt" and look through the text file for apps you installed that changed your status bar. Then in cmd run "adb uninstall com.appyouwanttouninstall". I did 4 among many, checked my phone, and didn't get the system ui has stopped messages

Thanks for the tip! Rather than saving to text I just used one window to output the packages to stdout, while I used another to do the uninstalls. Removing these two packages fixed the issue:

com.android.settings.SwiftDark.Android8defaultgrey.SamsungS8
com.android.systemui.SwiftDark.SamsungS8

enrico.fm08

Dec 20, 2017
how can u access to cmd with adb ?

Hello, give me tutorial, how can i uninstall apk from pc ?
i can access cmd but how can i uninstalled apk ?
please help,,,

Thanks,

soilentgreen

Oct 23, 2012
Thank you for all the answers.

Correct, you have to uninstall all your layers and substratrum mods before accepting the OTA. I just saw this but you can boot into safe mode while system ui is fc and uninstall all the mods there and you should be good when you boot out of safe mode. No factory data reset needed.

But I did boot into safe mode and the phone continued to stuck on "system ui has stopped"

Hello, give me tutorial, how can i uninstall apk from pc ?
i can access cmd but how can i uninstalled apk ?
please help,,,
Thanks,
I never knew how to use adb,
There is any tutorial about it?

davnav899

Sep 9, 2013
Hacienda Heights

SAME TO MEE... OMG!!! ****ing samsung send me this update|
i even cannot call any one with this phone right now ..
Did any of you have substratum installed?
EDIT: i just read up higher.
This also happened to me with substratum. One thing I did before however is I already had adb debugging enabled and trusted with my pc via adb.
I used these instructions found here for adb
https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS8/comments/737y3j/helpfix_substratum_system_ui_has_stopped_issue/

Last edited:
Reactions: soilentgreen

soilentgreen

Oct 23, 2012
What is the latest version of samsung update?
Mine is N950FXXU2BQKG/N950FOXM2BQKG/N950FXXU2BQKG.
My phone updat 6 days ago, and I don't have the new samsung VPN.
And just to be clear, in the next update after uninstall all the layers and substratrum mods and accepting the OTA, it is safe to install all the layers again after the update?

Thanks again

Last edited:

BluePhnx

Oct 12, 2014
What is the latest version of samsung update?
Mine is N950FXXU2BQKG/N950FOXM2BQKG/N950FXXU2BQKG.
My phone updat 6 days ago, and I don't have the new samsung VPN.
And just to be clear, in the next update after uninstall all the layers and substratrum mods and accepting the OTA, it is safe to install all the layers again after the update?

Thanks again

You should have the VPN under wifi advance settings.

Yes it's safe to install all your layers and substratrum mods I using it on 2BQKG.

Merry Christmas to all!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171225-134737.jpg
    Screenshot_20171225-134737.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 221
  • 20171225_134951.jpg
    20171225_134951.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 219

soilentgreen

Oct 23, 2012
You should have the VPN under wifi advance settings.

Yes it's safe to install all your layers and substratrum mods I using it on 2BQKG.

Merry Christmas to all!

I don't have the VPN, and we on the same version. It's weired.
I need to "open" it somehow?

How do you color your notifaction clock and icons?

Attachments

• 20171225_223358.jpg
    20171225_223358.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

jh787

Dec 15, 2008

Thanks houboy, you're a lifesaver.
Tried to center the status bar clock and the phone crashed.
Your method worked like a charm

Last edited:

BazmanFoo

Sep 20, 2011
Dublin
I was reading through the reddit thread posted earlier and found an alternative solution which worked for me.
Log into Samsungs Find My Phone website, unlock your device and then switch on Power Saving Mode, then reboot. Once in Power Saver you will regain control of your phone. Now, switch off power saver and go disable all substratum mods and reboot again.

Reactions: Rydah

Shawnki91

Oct 17, 2012
Happened twice to me while setting up my new Note 8. Resolved to finally wipe through hard reset menu, and setup as new phone. Some Substratum addon was lingering when I did a restore which was likely causing the UI crash.

faria

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Mod
Feb 24, 2006
Jersey
this happened 3 times to my note 8, the culprit seems to be android pay, once you add a credit card to be specific . To fix the phone you need to put the phone in powersaving mode via Samsung dive then reboot.

once the phone rebooted in power saving mode just put it back to normal , after this procedure all cards are removed from google pay.

squick

Oct 6, 2010
Port St Lucie
This also happened to me with substratum. One thing I did before however is I already had adb debugging enabled and trusted with my pc via adb.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS8/comments/737y3j/helpfix_substratum_system_ui_has_stopped_issue/

What's strange is that I have substratum installed but never ran it but I'm still getting the system UI error, thank good it hasn't totally blocked need but still doesn't make sense why this is all happening. I forgot I even installed it honestly.

I just uninstalled it so I'll see if that changes anything.

davnav899

Sep 9, 2013
Hacienda Heights
@squick You could try booting into safe mode to see if its a program causing it, but for me, i updated my phone software(update) with the substratum ui apk installed which caused me to get the force close error where only the screen showed system ui has stopped. I used adb to get a list of packages and remove the substratum system ui apk. A sure way to fix would be to reset the phone, but if you're able to use it, try removing apps you dont need from your applications in the settings. It's possible there could be another app interfering with the system ui

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

All for nothing!!!

SAME TO MEE... OMG!!! ****ing samsung send me this update|
    i even cannot call any one with this phone right now ..
    I was reading through the reddit thread posted earlier and found an alternative solution which worked for me.
    Log into Samsungs Find My Phone website, unlock your device and then switch on Power Saving Mode, then reboot. Once in Power Saver you will regain control of your phone. Now, switch off power saver and go disable all substratum mods and reboot again.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone